TalkTalk refuses to accept cancellation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3084 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent a letter to TalkTalk, saying that I within 30 days cancel all my TalkTalk services.

I received a call and then a letter from them saying they want to speak to me as I seem to be unhappy with the service. It also said they need 30 days notice because I no longer have a contract with them, which is a somehow weird formulation because it says there is no longer a contract, but that they require notice before cancelling.

As I had given them written notice already that I want to cancel all services, I did not respond to the letter.

After the services should have been terminated, TalkTalk tried to bill me again. When calling them and asking why, they said they "do not accept written cancellation" and my account was not cancelled because I had not respond to their letter within 30 days.

My question now is if from a legal perspective, my account must be considered cancelled because I sent a letter saying I cancel with a notice period of 30 days or if TalkTalk is right that my account cannot be cancelled this way?

What should I best do?

Thanks for advice,

abcdef123

Without having sight of the contract you signed up to and agreed with them it will be hard to say how they wanted you to cancel, however written notification that you wish to cancel your agreement at the end of the 12 month period, (if that is what you signed up for?) would IMO be more than sufficient, the fact that they claim not to accept this is their problem.

Do you still have sight of the agreement you signed?

Stay off the phone to them, keep everything in writing, no matter how tempting it is to converse by phone, unless you can record your calls then it will always be denied by them, unless it goes in their favour of course.

Do you still have a copy of your cancellation letter?

How did they confirm to you that they don't accept written cancellation? If it was email, print off a hard copy.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I suppose for cancellation TalkTalk's current terms of service apply, which say:

" 15.3 You may immediately end your agreement by giving us written notice as set out in paragraph 16.2.

16.2 If a change is to your material detriment, we’ll give you at least 30 days' written notice (by letter, email, SMS or via your monthly bill). If you object, you may end your agreement without charge (other than accrued charges), provided you contact us within 30 days of receiving the notification."

does this mean if I do not respond to their letter, my contract is not cancelled?

They said on the phone they do not accept written cancellation, only by phone once they have sent a letter. i have recorded this call.

If they make a change to the original agreement which is to your detriment, ie. Monthly fee increases, they have to inform you, you then have 30 days in which to respond to it, if you don't then they will assume you agree and the contract will continue.

However, you have sent them a written cancellation that IMO trumps any other method they might claim you are required to use.

What happens if you're unable to use the phone?

They're simply annoyed that they don't have the chance of earning some commission by BS'ing you into staying.

Are you able to scan up and post their missive on here for us to see?

OR type out verbatim the crux of it so a suitable response can be tailored to fire back at them?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

they are wrong in their stipulation about onkly cancelling after they have had a chance to twist your arm and keep you as a customer. Sky got a big fine for this so a complaint should be sent to them and if they dont resolve it a complaint to the ombudsman and OFCOM. I dont think you can actually cancel a contract verbally unless it is recorded so your doing so in writing is correct whether they like it or not. as said, the demand to speak to you doesnt change that, it just gives them the opportunity to get their retention team to bother you and if you spok eot anyone that is undoubtedly who it was. Underhand, like Sky so let them know IN WRITING as this is the formal way of doing things and will drop them in the mire if they still dont release you from a non-existent hold.