Commercial Renting for last 4 years with no Contract, now Landlord wants us out

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3132 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

For over 4 years now I have rented a small warehouse.

I have never seen or ever signed a contract and have been paying the rent firstly via a caretaker and then weekly via BACS to the landlord bank account.

A couple of weeks ago they emailed me saying I was a couple about a month behind with the rent and now wanted the money paid monthly in advanced, I replied saying I would be able to clear any arrears in about a month but would not be able to pay monthly in advanced.

This evening I received an email saying they wanted me out of the unit as soon as possible and have threatened to lock me out of the unit.

I am a sole trader and have quite a bit of stock in, so finding another suitable unit and moving will not be a quick process.

Does anyone know how long notice they should give me. I have read some post regarding the Landlord and Tenant act 1954 and it seems the notice period can be upto 6 months, and also can they legally lock me out of the unit?

Thanks for your time

JJ

Not my area of expertise but-absence of written Agreement suggests no fixed term period existsbeyond rolling 1 week rental period and LL may be able to repossess if 14 days rent is owing.

LL&T A 1957 is complex and I suggest -

You consult a Solic experienced in Comm Law

Negotiate with LL for ways to continue Lease

If LL did illegally exclude you, your business could fatally suffer before resolved legally.

Hi, thank you for your response. I was up till 4am this morning going through the rent statement and payment I made, and by the looks of it their is some payments not showing that I made and I was over paying for over 6 months to the tune of nearly £400 so this would completely clear any debt and put me in credit.

I am going to double check just to make sure.