A barrister who dodged train fares for two years has been brought to justice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3147 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A barrister who dodged train fares for two years has been brought to justice

Dr Peter Barnett, 44, was given a 16-week suspended sentence after swindling a rail company out of £5,892.

Australian-born Dr Barnett, who won a Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford University, had been accused of avoiding £19,689.

But his lawyer Angus Bunyan argued successfully that the figure – based on the full single fare for each dodged journey – was too high.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/609167/Barrister-fare-dodger-two-years-sentenced-court

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/569758/Lawyer-prison-rail-fare?_ga=1.49340771.450238813.1443865536

Edited by citizenB
  • Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This was another one not so long ago...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/547118/Jonathan-Burrows-dodged-rail-fares-banned-from-financial-industry?_ga=1.242262983.450238813.1443865536

Jonathon Burrows @ £43,000.00 - Banned from working within the Financial Industry.

He came to an out of court settlement and therefore escaped a prison sentence.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It happens all the time at stations without barrier controls. The trains are so busy, that it is not possible to check tickets. Not sure how it is possible to dodge fares when there are barriers. I know some commuting into London were managing to get to stations closer to London and then using Oyster cards, so the journey was less expensive, but not sure how that would work for too long without being caught.

I don't condone a criminal offence, but perhaps it would be good for the economy if fares were heavily subsidised. Then the fares would not stop people on average wages from commuting into London and other major cities. Expensive fares must cause more of an economic problem, than the cost of subsidy. If people were not having to spend many thousands on commuting, they would be spending it in the economy and you would gain more revenues.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Expensive system to run, due to number of passengers, frequency of services required, more maintenance required as a result etc.

It would cost billions to subsidise fares, but i think the government would get their money back and possibly increase GDP earnings. You need people using earnings to support the economy by spending it and i don't think the amount spent on commuting can be healthy. If you earn say £30k a year, but spend say £8k in commuting costs, that is a big chunk of take home pay, which would not leave much to cover other living costs.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

In malta it costs something like 7 euros for a weeks travel on any bus. Obviously a small island like that won't have the same issues of different areas, operators etc,but my point is the bus service is affordable and well used.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

In Spain public transport is subsidised. So even those on low wages can afford to travel from the towns into the cities to work. If they did not subsidise, businesses in the cities would struggle. Also it means that people will travel more often for leisure purposes and it helps reduce traffic levels.

The Government will not subsidise the Price of tickets on out transport system, Yet they will subsidise the operators and let them charge above inflation hikes on the end consumer

Go figure??

If our transport costs were relative to income then the majority of people would not try and screw the system and inturn prosecuted