@johnlewisretail Refusing to help get a copy of extended warranty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3099 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

It's been a while, but I'm back in hope for some advice for my mum.

My mum purchased a washing machine form John Lewis 2 years ago, with an offer of 2 yrs Warranty provided by John Lewis, and another 3 years provided by Siemens.

She contacted Siemens (as she had to) specifically requesting a printed copy of the extended warranty. She reluctantly provided them with my email (as she was bullied by person on the phone), but specifically stated she wanted a copy in the post.

Needless to say a copy was sent by email, which was I was not able to open, so she called again and re-requested a postal copy. Whislt on the phone the operator pretended she was actually printing it from her desk (whilst my mum was on hold for many minutes on a help line, costing her money unessarily). The girl assured mum it was I also placed into the out postal tray, there and then! Mum mum didn't complain about this inappropriate behaviour, she just wanted a copy of the warranty.

Needless to say, it never arrived, and it was duly forgotten an extende warranty was not provided.

Roll on one year (last year), and I helped mum write a letter to Siemens chasing this warrantee. No reply, and once again it was forgotten about.

Roll on to a month ago, a sales pitch arrived from John Lewis attempting to sell an extended waranty!

So I helped mum write 2 formal complain letters to both John Lewis & Siemens. We asked john lewis to assist in contacting Siemens to get a copy of the warranty.

No reply from Siemens, but basically john lewis have fobbed her off.

They claim Siemens will not talk with them, (data protection!) advised my mum to contact Siemens (clearly they didn't read the complaints letter which provided full history of the attempts made), and completely dismissed any responsibility of helping provide a copy of this warranty. The letter also advised my mum to print it out from the email - she's in her 70's and specifically requested a postal version as she is not a silver surfer.

I knew john lewis customer service had gone downhill, but I was not expecting such a dismissive response.

My questions for help are in relation to how much responsibility have john lewis to assist in providing the warranty. Mum purchased the machine from them as it was part of the sale. Whilst I understand it is provided by Siemens, ( and all relevant information was provided as required) I believe as the retailer should john lewis help us a little more?

Many thanks

Me_too

I forgot, all calls were recorded too, but seem irrelevant if Siemens do not respond.

not worth the paper it is written on

under soga and alike you are covered free anyway for upto 6yrs

warranties are in addition to soga they do not replace your statutory rights

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/announcement.php?f=191&a=271

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, the problem is my parents still believe in warrantees etc. It was extended for 3 years and provided by Siemens, however after formats complaints to Siemans (unanswered) and john lewis (passing the buck and refusing to help) I have temporarily given up due to ill health.

Thanks

me_too

Hi all,

John Lewis again!

I've got a faulty fitbit, given as a present and I've tried to contact JL to establish their returns procedure regarding a faulty item. The item is 18 months old, barely used. The fault is a known fault on fitbit forums, and I've tried all recommendations from fitbit to try to get it working.

I know it's covered under SGA etc, but I'd like to know HOW to return it.

The purchaser (my partner) is away at the moment, so I thought I would contact JL with the simple question on how to return the item.

All I have asked for is a copy of the returns procedures for a faulty item ie. how to return, to a branch or elsewhere.

The closest branch is a 30 mile round trip, which I don't wish to do if the branch is unable to action.

Also just had a tooth out so can't speak on the telephone.

Their response has been amazing. I will cut n paste into the next post, to keep it concise and away from this post asking for help.

Basically, they refuse to provide details on how to return a faulty item without the order number for 'security reasons'!

All I need is a 'contact this department' or 'take it to the branch' ...I'm not asking for anything unreasonable.

Anybody know how I can return the item?

Will a branch replace?

Anyone have an email of somebody important in JL for me to complain about CS?

Thanks

Me_too

Formal complaint in writing to both John Lewis and Siemens - send to their Head/Registered offices. It might help. I have also tweeted your thread.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Here's a copy of the customer services email...

--------------- Original Message ---------------

Sent: 17/11/2015

To: no_reply@johnlewis.com

Subject: Web Triage Case Created

I received a present of a fitbit flex which was purchased from johnlewis.com.

The item has stopped working, and I have followed troubleshooting advice as per manufacturers website.

The item is faulty, it is 18 months old and has had a maximum use of about 3 months.

I would like to know the returns procedure for returning this faulty item. The purchaser will be the person whom will return the item, they currently do not have the time to contact JL to ask for details of the procedure on how to return so I am asking on their behalf.

Please do not respond with a 'the item is outside of the 1 year guarantee' as this is not applicable.

Please advise if I should return to a store or to an online department.

Thank you

Dear me_too,

Thank you for your email regarding a Fitbit flex.

While I am happy to assist, I have been unable to locate your order using the details provided. Please confirm your 7 or 8 digit order reference number which can be found by accessing your account details on our website: http://www.johnlewis.com and signing in using your email address and password.

If you do not have a record of your order number could you please confirm the following information:

Full name of the person named as the bill payer on the order

Full billing address on the order, including the postcode

Email address used to place the order

Once these details have been received, and we have located your order, we will be able to assist you with your enquiry. The information can be provided by replying to this email or by calling our Customer Services team on 03456 049 049. Our lines are open 7am till midnight, seven days a week.

Please note that if you are not named on the order, we will not be able to discuss it with you. This is due to our strict security procedures. The person named on the order will need to contact us directly.

If your order was placed in one of our shops please contact them directly and one of our Partners will be happy to help you. Details of our shop contact details can be found at: http://www.johnlewis.com/our-shops.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind regeards,

Kenna Jagger

John Lewis.com

--------------- Original Message ---------------

Sent: 17/11/2015

To: customerservices@johnlewis.com

Subject: Re: Your enquiry, CASE-********

I have received your response to my query and I have to say I am extremely disappointed at your refusal to provide details of your returns policy for a faulty item.

I quote "Please note that if you are not named on the order, we will not be able to discuss it with you. This is due to our strict security procedures. The person named on the order will need to contact us directly".

What a load of old rubbish.

There are no data protection or security issues what so ever, so there is absolutely no need to refuse to provide me with details on how to return a faulty item to yourself.

As I have explained, the purchaser is unable to contact you directly at the moment,I am in receipt of the item and under the sales of goods act 1974 as long as I am able to prove purchase then all responsibilities for the item and coverage under the sales of goods act etc is passed to me.

At this moment in time I am requesting details on how to return the item.

I do not wish to make a 30 mile round trip to the nearest branch for a refund/replacement if this is not the way to start a return on an internet order.

Please can you stop evading your responsibilities and explain how I return a faulty item to john lewis????

Thank you

Dear John Lewis Customer,

Thank you for your email regarding your query.

Customer security is important to John Lewis and is something we take very seriously. In line with our policy on security and privacy it would be appreciated if you could please contact us using the email address linked to your account.

Alternatively, you can call our Customer Services team on 03456 049 049 where one of my colleagues will be happy to help you. Our lines are open 7am till midnight 7 days a week.

Full details of our privacy and security procedures can be found here: http://www.johnlewis.com/customer-services/security-privacy .

If you require any further assistance, please contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Michael Meehan

John Lewis.com

Hi citizenB,

Thanks for the links,

http://www.johnlewis.com/customer-services

I have contacted CS, this is the issue, they will not explain where to return the item without the order details - which are not necessary when I am just asking how to return (store or internet etc). I have put a copy of the emails with CS on the post above

https://www.collectplus.co.uk/returns/new/johnlewis

It's not a new order, the item is 18 months old. Sorry, i wasn't clear about the timeframe in my initial list. I will update my post to show this.

Thanks

Ideally I'd like to know if anyone has returned a faulty item purchased on JL.com, and how?

If I could return it, without my partner having to do it (he's extremely busy at work for the next couple of months, working late etc), then that would be easier.

But on the other hand, I just really want to know how to, without the need for all of this 'security' rubbish.