BT Usage unexpected charge?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3071 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On the 1st of September i enquired about downgrading my unlimited high speed broadband to a bt basic package with a 10gb limit. They charge for every 5gb you go over.

This was due to take affect on the 16th of September.

16-19th September the internet refused to work and i had to wait for it to stabilize.

On the 16th of September they sent an email saying i went over the limit and it was over 300gb!

For some reason, they decided that they would charge me from the 1st of September while i was still using unlimited broadband.

At no point did anybody mention to me they would be monitoring the usage while i was still using unlimited, i phoned them up and they said i will have to pay the usage charges, at the moment i absolutely refuse to pay as it would end up costing over £350

Where do i stand??

Go into mybt.com

You can view your bills there etc

Look for any outstanding orders or when those orders were completed.

You cannot be billed anything before the 16th as you were on unlimited. The new billing cycle will kick in on that date as it will be a contractual change. You will find your bills are now payable 28 days from the 16th in future.

I have just been through this as i down graded to the BT Basic package myself

Edited by obiter dictum

My bill date was on the 12th of September due to come out of my bank the 20th September, that all run smoothly as expected. However im worried those usage fees will catch up and bill me in October, i may be making this thread a little prematurely. Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully they see sense and know that i was on unlimited during that time. On my usage charger reading it says i have used 309gb from the 1st of September when it should be saying from the 16th . If they did it that way they can see that i only used under 10gb .

• 2 months later...
On the 1st of September i enquired about downgrading my unlimited high speed broadband to a bt basic package with a 10gb limit. They charge for every 5gb you go over.

This was due to take affect on the 16th of September.

16-19th September the internet refused to work and i had to wait for it to stabilize.

On the 16th of September they sent an email saying i went over the limit and it was over 300gb!

For some reason, they decided that they would charge me from the 1st of September while i was still using unlimited broadband.

At no point did anybody mention to me they would be monitoring the usage while i was still using unlimited, i phoned them up and they said i will have to pay the usage charges, at the moment i absolutely refuse to pay as it would end up costing over £350

Where do i stand??

Hi John,

My experience with BT complaints is that if you speak to an advisor via the complaints chat procedure on BT website, explain your grievances to the operator, and see what they have to say. If you are not happy with the outcome, tell them that you wish the complaint to go to the level 2 resolution team. It is then, imho, in BT's best interests to find a solution for you, rather than let it go beyond level 2. Level 2 will take into consideration what the level 1 operator told you, ensure that they gave you all the correct information, and act accordingly. If they find that level 1 failed to mention this or said something they shouldn't have, they will act on that - this is from my personal experience.

*Important* Make sure that you take a hard copy of the chat conversation you have had.

As long as you have in writing what you have mentioned in your post, then you should be fine.

Hope this helps in any small way.

Best regards

B

• 4 weeks later...

Maximum charges for going overusage is £60 a month, it will never be more than that. Going over usage is now £1.50 per 1gb. But to change your plan in the middle of the month, does mean you will be classed as 10gb from the 1st. This shouldve been explained to you