Court Judgement for Claimant (in defaul) for a Private Parking Charge Notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3178 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was in dispute with Private Parking Company about a PCN.

The last I heard from them was in February after a Letter Before County Court Claim was sent on 31 December 2014.

I was away during August this year

upon return from Holidays received a Judgement for Claimant (in default) which the Parking Company had filed during my absence

and thus I could not file my defence within the 14 days statutory period.

I can apply to get the Judgement set aside but there is a filing fee of £155.

My first question is if I do so and get the subsequent judgement of the case by the Court in my favour

can I claim back the application fee for setting the initial judgement aside?

If not, there would be little point as the fee and the claim they won are similar amounts and I will end up out of pocket in any case.

I intend to write to the site owner and complain about the underhand tactics of this firm that they employ

but am not sure if they can force the Claimant to to withdraw their clam at this late stage and thus avoid any further costs?

Is there a procedure for withdrawing a claim once a judgement (in default) has been issued by the Court?

If the claim was issued in December 2014, you should have had your defence in by January/February 2015.

So I am not sure how being on holiday in August 2015 was an issue ?

A judgment in default is only given if no defence is submitted.

Once a claim has been issued and Judgment given, then it cannot be withdrawn, it has to be set aside for a reason - so you would need to have a credible defence anyway.

I will try and find someone who can advise further.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I don't want to name companies at this stage but most of you know who the litigious ones are.

To clarify,

in December 2014 a Letter before Court action was issued.

The actual Court papers were filed in early August this year by the claimant while I was away on Holiday

and missed the deadline as I came back in September.

The papers were sent by ordinary post so no signature was obtained to prove that the claim was properly served.

In most other Countries such papers must be delivered by registered mail and a signature of the defendant obtained

but apparently in this Country you can obtain a Court ruling by simply claiming that the papers have been properly delivered to the defendant.

uptree barking at the wrong things.

for us to be able to advise probably

you need to name names.

the fact you were away has no bearing whatsoever

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The answer to your question regarding the application fee is as follows..

Only if the set a side/defence is successful...and its requested within the application...otherwise no to point 1.

With regards to point 2 the claim can only be withdrawn if the set a side is successful and consent is agreed to either settle the claim or the claimant can be convinced to withdraw it (not sure that will happen no matter who he writes to)

Claims aren't sent by tracked mail in this country. Statutory demands would be hand delivered, usually by a process server (this because of the Bankruptcy implications).

My apologies for the confusion regarding the date of claim issue - having read your 1st post again, you do say that it was a letter before county court claim that was sent to you in December and not the claim itself.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

O.K. the names are Parking Eye and the site is The Copthorn Tara Hotel in Kensington, London.

The question again is if I apply to set the judgement aside by paying the £155 Court fee can I get it back if I win the case.

My argument is that the parers were sent during the holiday season in August while I was abroad

and could not reply to the claim and the claimant has taken the opportunity to obtain a judgement (in default) in their favour.

There may be a sign in blue on the wall stating that there are parking fees but the time when I entered the site was at night and I could not have read it.

I stayed in front of the Hotel reception for about 25 minutes waiting for a couple with a 2 year old child to take them out for dinner.

One of the parents was held up changing the baby's nappies while we waited in front of the hotel

and chatted with the other parent in full view of the doorman of the hotel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59331[/ATTACH][ATTACH]59331[/ATTACH]

Your answers are in post #6 above John.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

What is the date on the N1 claim form and when did you get it.

If you were on holiday for just the short time for the acknowledgement of service

why didnt you send it in and explain why as soon as you got back from hols.

They would then give you another 14 days to ack the claim and send in a defence.

What you are saying is only part of a story when it comes to getting a default judgement

so if it was that simple then yes, pay the £155 and defeat the claim

and you will get your money back and your other costs to boot.

Give us all of the facts and you will get more precise help.

If you were on holiday for just the short time for the acknowledgement of service

They would then give you another 14 days to ack the claim and send in a defence.

What you are saying is only part of a story when it comes to getting a default judgement

Assuming the OP is successful in the set aside (which he should be) I'm curious as to why you think the Court would order the Claimant to pay his costs of the application?

The OP does say he was away on holiday for most of August arriving back in early September.

BCOBS

Assuming the OP is successful in the set aside (which he should be) I'm curious as to why you think the Court would order the Claimant to pay his costs of the application?

When the case is reheard (if DEAL want to press ahead) the OP can claim back those costs and any other costs associated in defending the claim. It is winner takes all. If DEAL dont want to carry on then you have spent £155 to get a CCJ cleared from your files.