style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3098 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For those who don’t know, Microsoft is currently working on it’s first non-patch update for Windows 10, currently codenamed Threshold 2 and was originally supposed to launch sometime in October. But as of recently, it appears that release window may have slipped ever so slightly, as according to my sources, Threshold 2 will now launch in early November instead.

This is likely for the best, as it gives Microsoft a little more time to continue developing Threshold 2 and should hopefully result in a better built all round update for consumers when it is finally released. Now another interesting thing to think about is what the update could possibly be called when it does eventually launch.

Full Article

I am ready to strangle Microsoft.

This afternoon i had a major windows update, computer restarted, then nothing. It loaded to the desktop then just hung there as though it was waiting to load in a program or driver at the start up.

Windows then went to the grey screen and into recovery mode. Never knew windows had this. After a few restarts and trying to fix the problem windows totally gave up. Gave me the option of a total new install at the click of a mouse which i obliged.

So an hour later, one formatted computer and a fresh install of windows 10.

Good job i keep all my software registraton numbers on a flash drive

I am convienced this windows update conflicted with my other software such as anti virus, printer etc. Not happy

So should I get windows 10 yet or keep waiting for any issues to be ironed out?

Answers in plain English please.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I am going to load my other programs in a bit at a time and give them a chance incase windows throws a wobbly again

I will load my printer next and give it a few days

I have had windows 10 since the launch and no problems until this windows update today

I would give it anoither six months as it is obvious Microsoft are using us as Guinea pigs

Thanks. I was thinking I'd wait a while but until today didn't know how long it would be free.

What's Best for You?

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks. I was thinking I'd wait a while but until today didn't know how long it would be free.

I would definitely wait, unless you have the Pro version you cannot delay updates.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Thanks. I'll wait.

What's Best for You?

If you update, you then have 30 days to decide if you like it or not and if not then you can revert back to your original version.

If your talking about going back to previous version of windows ie 7 or 8.1, then yes you can go back anytime If you still have the original windows installation disk or have made a back up/restore disk for W7/8.1 .

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

I dont think you can install from that folder though Conniff...all platforms have created .old since Vista/7/8.8.1...but it only contains personal files/program foders...just a back up of personal files subject to how you installed the next version.

I may be wrong but ?...not on 10 nor want it....but if you say you can.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

This one is a bit different Andy.

If you’ve upgraded Windows 10 that's not a clean install, but an upgrade, and as long as you haven't run the Disk cleanup tool and removed the “Previous Windows installations”, then you can revert to your last version.

Click on the Windows icon and Settings.

Click the 'Update & security' icon and select 'Recovery.'

You should see a 'Go back to Windows 7' or 'Go back to Windows 8.1' option.

Click the button to uninstal Windows 10 and restore your previous Windows.

It must be done within 30 days though or no guarantee it will still be on your drive.

Edited by Conniff

I've been using it for a year and even in the early days there was no real problems with the build we were on.

Now that we have the final version either free or £99 to download, I have to say, it is a slick fast and smooth system and definately worth the upgrade.

I've been using it for a year and even in the early days there was no real problems with the build we were on.

Now that we have the final version either free or £99 to download, I have to say, it is a slick fast and smooth system and definately worth the upgrade.

Thanks Conniff, if it doesn't work you'll have to guide me through the process of returning to 8.1 😉

Thanks Conniff, if it doesn't work you'll have to guide me through the process of returning to 8.1

There are a couple of real experts one here, https://no1forum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?10-Technology-and-Computers-Discuss-Share-amp-Learn that are only too willing to answer questions or put up a guide either in writing or on youtube.

A guide to disabling and pluggingthe phone homes would be good, another one is the sort of ad-hoc peer to peer that uses your upload bandwidth, which is not good for people on a metered connection or with a low data cap, you have to set your connection to metered to disable it.

Otherwise a stellar OS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• 2 weeks later...

Having been advised I should register for Windows 10 even if I don't get it now, it was immediately available and I virtually started downloading without realising. All done now and seems ok so far.

What's Best for You?

Having been advised I should register for Windows 10 even if I don't get it now, it was immediately available and I virtually started downloading without realising. All done now and seems ok so far.

I recommend you check these links out

http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/the-windows-10-privacy-settings-you-need-to-change-right-now-1301257

The other issue is Win 10 has a sort of integral p2p system that uses your upload bandwidth to propagate upgrades, set your internet connection to metered to minimise the theft of your upload bandwidth, very important for those with a cap on data.

Thanks. I'm very protective of my online privacy and amended settings when I installed but I will check the links out and make sure I've done all I can.

What's Best for You?

Thanks. I'm very protective of my online privacy and amended settings when I installed but I will check the links out and make sure I've done all I can.

No problem, there are multiple phone homes that need plugging in 10.

• 1 month later...

I turn off my windows updates and choose what to install at my leisure. Treat this the same as all other window releases and thats wait until all bugs are fixed. Not sure if I want my system to be so directly linked to GCHQ so will give 10 a miss.