LEAVING DENMARK and having a small DEBT

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3265 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello folks,

I have one small question which I was strugling to find an answer. I will leave Denmark in 10 days and I have a debt to a private company of fast loans named VIVUS.DK. The amount is around 450 euros. What happens if I just leave denmark and don't pay this debt ? :???:

Notice: I am not planning to come back to denmark soon.

Thanks for any help !

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I don't know if people here know about the Danish system, as we're a UK website, but someone may know the answer. Are you coming to the UK or going somewhere else please?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

No, I am not going to UK. I ahve read some stuff over the internet saying that all the EU countries submit to a certain law/procedure except Denmark. I have heard that such small debts are ussualy deleted after a certain period.

Thanks for quick response

:All that would happen is that you would severely damage your Danish record. The loan company will add a lot of interest and charges, before possibly gaining a court judgement. So you could still have a large debt remaining that could be enforced if you returned within about 6 years.

Best advice is to deal with the debt before leaving Denmark or as soon as possible afterwards. You can probably negotiate a reduced settlement amount to clear the debt.

The debt is unlikely to follow you outside of Denmark, unless they have an agreement with the county you are going to. It won't affect your credit record outside of Denmark

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

EU member states have a 10 year Limitations act... So it'll hang around DK for 10 years then be written off. Another thing to watch out for is quite a few the EU debt collectors have registered offices here (Interim Justitia is a common one for cross EU collections). I was in a similar situation when I left the Netherlands. I left about fl. 10,000 (5000ish euro then) debt behind and within a few years I had Interim on my case. Sadly for them, as I waist the UK, they weren't able to pursue it here as the debt was older than 6 years so what they did was take me to court (in the Netherlands) and get an order which I would have to adhere to if I were there.

Luckily it's been cleared.

just remember... They don't HAVE to know where you're moving to, it's none of their business.

10 years is not standard. Since about 2008 countries have had to change their limitation laws. I think it was part of some EU standardisation process.

Anyway here is the situation in Denmark

Duration of limitation period

Under the new Act, the standard limitation period is 3 years from the due date of the claim. The creditor’s unawareness of the debt or the debtor may postpone the date at which time begins to run. Unawareness of the whereabouts of the debtor or debt collection obstacles beyond the control of the creditor may also postpone the limitation period for 1 year.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread