Sickness disciplinary advice please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3254 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys looking for some advice.

My wife has works for a large UK supermarket and has worked there for 26 years. She was off for a day last week, with a sickness bug. She received a letter yesterday inviting her to attend a "disciplinary meeting" to discuss her absence as she has been off 3 times in the past 9 months. On one of these occasions she was admitted to hospital for 3 days

My understanding is that the meeting should only be an informal meeting to establish the facts and if appropriate then arrange a disciplinary meeting

She is taking along a colleague to the meeting , but should this be a "disciplinary meeting". When she has been off from work she has advised her work before her shift and has received the relevant return to work interviews

Hi there

First off, well done for taking a colleague. In future I would recommend joining a union who can sometimes be more helpful.

Secondly, make sure the notes are accurate. She must make sure they capture the major points.

Make sure she understands the sickness procedure and that they have calculated trigger points correctly etc.

Sadly, the major supermarkets separate the illness from the absence. If she is disciplined, it will not be for the sickness, it will be for not fulfilling her contract.

Maybe she should check to see if any of her illnesses are covered by "Mitigating Circumstances"

Are the sickness periods linked?

One Large Supermarket has Attendance review and investigation meetings, where they roll the disciplinary into once. Effectively they close the investigatory and WITH permission from the employee open the disciplinary

Personally I would not fret too much at this stage. Yes they can do a disciplinary. BUT remember the outcomes could be next steps to improve attendance. And if there are no live warnings for sickness on file I would imagine the worst outcome would be a verbal/written warning.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I'd expect a bit of a chat and t be told there'll be a monitoring period, no more than that.

• Haha 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

• 3 weeks later...