Car Tax When Buying Car that needs to be registered disabled.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3282 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Got an interesting question that I've not been able to find a definitive answer too.

My dad is disabled and gets the full motability allowance, but is no longer allowed to drive. So for the past 3 years as I bought a car specifically large enough to take him and my mother (both are also elderly) out and about... We were able to nominate my car for use as a disabled vehicle.

This means it's been transferred to disabled use and we are exempt from VED.

But at some point in the next 12 months, I will need to change the car as it's getting on a bit and starting to cost more than it's worth in repairs. I paid £2100 for it and so far have spent £1800 in repairs and maintenance.

Since the cat tax rules changed... when you buy a car it is the new owners responsibility to tax it.

But I can't find out how that applies to vehicles that need to be re-registered as disabled use. because that involves going to a main DVLA licensing office (nearest one to me is about 25 miles away) to make the change and have the new VED applied.

Given that I will need to bring any car I purchase home or direct to the DVLA offices... I won't be covered and I can't make the change to disabled use until I purchase the car.

So it means being in limbo until such a time as it can be done... and depending on where the car is located could involve much more expense to me if I had to go there, buy the car, come home and go to the local licensing office and then make my way back to pick up the car.

Not to mention changing over insurance and so forth.

It's very unlikely I will be buying from a car dealer.

I just need to know if I have any leeway in getting the car home after purchase and getting it reclassified as disabled.

Yeah I have to do that to get the car taxed, I have a letter from the DWP to state that the car is tax exempt... But as far as I am aware, you still have to go to a licensing office to reclassify the vehicle as disabled.

It seems crazy that as it stands... it appears that you have to tax the car before you drive it home... then reclassify it as tax exempt and recover the refund... minus one month as they don't refund partial months.

Before, I was able to drive the car home as it stood and reclassify it for disabled use and they would simply give me the VED disc there and then.... Now I don't know.

I'm not sure that you have to do any more than apply via the post office on purchase. Must admit the gov.uk portal isn't exactly enlightening but it does appear that you can apply for exemption on the day of purchase. Probably worth popping in to your local PO as they will have the guidance notes to hand and I'm fairly sure will be experienced in these matters by now

https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vehicles-and-transport

Just send the newly completed V5 to DVLA showing change in tax status and they will send new V5 with all new info on it.

If getting the car home is your worry, make sure you phone your insurance CO and get it covered immediately. Take DWP letter with you and if stopped on way home show the police your DWP letter along with completed V5 and receipt for car.

No, local dvla offices. I'm sure they shut them.

The last time I had to visit one was just over 3yrs ago when I bought my current car... So I have no idea.... so went googling and found this

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/250142/INF259_151013.pdf

Which tells you that all 39 local DVLA offices would be closed by Dec 2013... No doubt as part of the austerity measures that are screwing everyone who's not rich... and I wish I was joking.

I had no idea they were closing them... So it must have to be dealt with at the post office now.

I really don't think the DVLA have thought this out properly. Usually, before I can get my free car tax, my V5 has to show disabled status. The only way to get it changed from PLG is by writing 'disabled' in the relevent box and send it to the DVLA. I think you may have to buy a months cover to be sure that you won't get stopped by the plod

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi all

Got an interesting question that I've not been able to find a definitive answer too.

My dad is disabled and gets the full motability allowance, but is no longer allowed to drive. So for the past 3 years as I bought a car specifically large enough to take him and my mother (both are also elderly) out and about... We were able to nominate my car for use as a disabled vehicle.

But at some point in the next 12 months, I will need to change the car as it's getting on a bit and starting to cost more than it's worth in repairs. I paid £2100 for it and so far have spent £1800 in repairs and maintenance.

Since the cat tax rules changed... when you buy a car it is the new owners responsibility to tax it.

But I can't find out how that applies to vehicles that need to be re-registered as disabled use. because that involves going to a main DVLA licensing office (nearest one to me is about 25 miles away) to make the change and have the new VED applied.

Given that I will need to bring any car I purchase home or direct to the DVLA offices... I won't be covered and I can't make the change to disabled use until I purchase the car.

So it means being in limbo until such a time as it can be done... and depending on where the car is located could involve much more expense to me if I had to go there, buy the car, come home and go to the local licensing office and then make my way back to pick up the car.

Not to mention changing over insurance and so forth.

It's very unlikely I will be buying from a car dealer.

I just need to know if I have any leeway in getting the car home after purchase and getting it reclassified as disabled.

Do you only use the car to drive your disabled father around or do things for him such as going shopping? If not your tax is effectively invalid.

All DVLA local offices were closed in 2013. It was a Gordon Brown brain child during Labours last sting in government, but wasn't fully implemented before they were given the boot. The process was carried on by the coalition last time out.

But I can't find out how that applies to vehicles that need to be re-registered as disabled use.

From: https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/what-evidence-to-give

Change of tax class

You can request a change of tax class at any Post Office that deals with vehicle tax. The Post Office can tell you which tax class your vehicle can have.

The Post Office will send your V5C or V62 to DVLA, who will send you an updated V5C.

You must apply with:

You can get an exemption or a reduction in vehicle tax if you get:

You may want to consider Motability for your needs as being in receipt of the higher component of DLA/PiPS they would qualify for a new car

http://www.motability.co.uk/cars-and-wavs/

There is more to it than that and it would pay to run Motability's Eligibility Checker @ http://www.motability.co.uk/understanding-the-scheme/eligibility/

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Having dealt with Motability in the past on behalf of my parents, I'd avoid them like the plague. Far too many terms & conditions which are purely designed to catch you out. ranting2.gif

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.