gift while on benefits

hatsanman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3330 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my brother wants to buy me a brand new car and im receiving support group esa plus mobility low rate pip so my question is can I accept my brothers offer of a new car ?. I know this is a strange question but these days just covering my back.

Could he not retain ownership of the car and name you as keeper?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Could he not retain ownership of the car and name you as keeper?
good idea as he will will have bank statements to prove he paid then me as keeper and hopefully that will be ok and im on income based esa.

Isn't it criminal these days that the current government has successfully criminalised the entire social security system

so that you are unable to enhance your life by accepting help from friends & family!

IMO and due to the unique way in which they have treated me, I wouldn't tell them a thing, stuff em.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Isn't it criminal these days that the current government has successfully criminalised the entire social security system

so that you are unable to enhance your life by accepting help from friends & family!

IMO and due to the unique way in which they have treated me, I wouldn't tell them a thing, stuff em.

I know what you are saying my friend its really bad. this is a genuine offer from my brother to buy me a new car and I can show bank statement plus receiept after its bought. looks like my brother is going to be the owner and me the keeper or refuse the offer. he is rich and im on benefits and you try and get on to be shot down.

Why would it affect benefit?

It isn't classed as capital and won't have been purchased with your money, so no deprevation of capital issues.

Your brother buys it and keeps the invoice etc to prove he purchased it and as it's a gift, which is acceptable in regs there isn't an issue, so not sure why people are acting like it is.

It would only be an issue if you purchased it with capital you held in order to continue to claim benefits i.e. keep you below the capital thresholds or failed to declare any such capital in the first place.

The other question is how would the DWP know you had a new car!

Why would it affect benefit?

It isn't classed as capital and won't have been purchased with your money, so no deprevation of capital issues.

Your brother buys it and keeps the invoice etc to prove he purchased it and as it's a gift, which is acceptable in regs there isn't an issue, so not sure why people are acting like it is.

It would only be an issue if you purchased it with capital you held in order to continue to claim benefits i.e. keep you below the capital thresholds or failed to declare any such capital in the first place.

The other question is how would the DWP know you had a new car!

hi tomtom256 and many thanks for your reply which put my paranoid mind at rest. yes will be bought by my brother using his debit card so will have card receipt plus bank statement both with his name on. basically I was just covering my back as the benefit system is so complex now. many thanks again mate and have a great weekend

I don't believe it would affect matters either. However, better safe than sorry. May I suggest he buys me one first and then I can let you know how things go? More than happy to take such a risk on behalf of a fellow CAGger ... :)

I don't believe it would affect matters either. However, better safe than sorry. May I suggest he buys me one first and then I can let you know how things go? More than happy to take such a risk on behalf of a fellow CAGger ... :)
hi raeuk, after the day ive had a bit of light humour is most welcome. well my brother did buy a new car this time last year which his carer ran off with and going through court now so your luck might be in mate. I just think my brother has a very kind heart and to much bloody money lol. have a great weekend mate.

The sole reason I made the suggestion that he keeps ownership is more to do with how the asset eventually gets disposed of.

After a few years, if you were to sell it (And you were the owner) it would then be counted as capital.

By keeping it owned by your brother, you have more freedom for him to upgrade it etc over the years without worrying about selling it and declaring the capital etc

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

The sole reason I made the suggestion that he keeps ownership is more to do with how the asset eventually gets disposed of.

After a few years, if you were to sell it (And you were the owner) it would then be counted as capital.

By keeping it owned by your brother, you have more freedom for him to upgrade it etc over the years without worrying about selling it and declaring the capital etc

I should also point out it will be brand new and as im 62 this year and just scraped in by 3 days retire at 65 will definatly last rest of my working life and will definatly be the last car ill ever have so capital of mine ever to sell shouldn't ever come into it. id just like to give a big thanks to all who gave me support plus comments etc about this its has been very much help and very much appreciated so many thanks again folks.

If the car your brother is buying you is a Ferrari or a Lamborghini please make sure you drive it past the Jobcentre every day, honking your horn

Fitted with some air horns:

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.