Moving to Oz

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1641 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes to offsetting, if you have debt with same Bank and your account terms allow it.

The rest is up to a court, after receiving application. Unlikely !

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 3 months later...

had a letter from credit card company to say they have handed our debt over to allied international credit with their contact details. My question is do l need to contact them or should l ignore?

Thanks

Nothing for you to do. You don't need to respond to Allied. The Credit Card company should have advised them of previous correspondence. Allied will just send letters chasing until they get bored and pass on to another company to chase.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 1 month later...

Just confirming l don't need to reply to allied credit as lve had a few letters but one today which is s bit threatening as in this is my last chance to respond to them to come to a mutual agreement. Thanks

If nothing has changed, it is just a letter with a different wording.

What seems to happen with foreign debts owed by Aussie residents, is that they get sold to international debt collectors, but they don't seem to be any more versed in collecting debts in different jurisdictions. You would think they would have a worked out process with Solicitors in different Aussie states they used. But knowing someone who has worked on the legal side in Aus, they are only interested in billable hours, not a fishing trip sending letters. I have not come across too many Aussie debt collectors who try to collect foreign debts either. Aussie courts are known to be a bit old fashioned and pedantic is requiring every rule followed to the letter. Therefore, i am not sure it is that easy for debt collectors buying foreign debts and gaining any enforcement in Aus.

What do u mean no changes uncle? We're still in oz

Sex change, new hair style 😀

I meant that you have not moved out of OZ or had anything apart from a differently worded letter.

DCA letters are drafted to make it seem pressure is being ramped up, when they can't do anything. They will sell the debt on in due course and a new company will send chaser letters like those you have received.

• 2 months later...

Just a standard automated letter i expect and they have not deliberately sent it to your FIL address.

Suggest he just sends it back to then marked not at the address or returns it with a covering letter reminding them of your Aussie address. If you get involved, they might think you are contactable via your FIL's address and might just continue, if you are ignoring them from Aus.

yea that's the idea

go fund the harassment of others like what you are getting.

because by paying these debts

that's all you are doing.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

can he read this thread?

if so point him to it by an email link.

you don't owe anything

there is no reciprocal agreement in aus so your debts are dead.

by paying this

all you'll do is alert the owners of all your other debts that's its been settled

they'll then up the anti and do the same thing and write and hassle that address on all the others

as they'll see you've coughed up.

so instead of one lots writin and doing other things

they will ALL do it.

none of them have ANY LEGAL POWERS

they ARE NOT BAILIFFS

and EVEN IF THEY WERE

its NOWT to do with him

simply tell him to return all mail to his nearest post box

marked NOT AT THIS ADDRESS

it will stop

but it wont stop if you pay ONE OF THEM.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Agree, that if you pay one creditor, it might simply be an invite for others.

I had the same issue as your FIL, receiving letters to my address relating to a relative gone abroad. In the end, after telling DCA's that their debtor was abroad on numerous occasions, one of them paid me compensation for the hassle they caused. It was never the Banks chasing the debts. It was DCA's who had purchased the debts for a small fee and all they do is try to hassle people into submission.

• 2 weeks later...

So lve prepared email to sent yo hitachi that have sent letter's to address reminding that they have my current address & any contact should be made there & also reminding them of FCA guidelines. Does that sound ok?

Yes, but mention that FCA guidelines state that they should not be contacting a third party and must contact the account holder directly using any correspondence address given. It does not say this exactly, but it is something like that.

• 1 month later...

You could send them a postcard with a nice picture of a beach, saying "wish you were here, you are welcome to visit at your own expense".

They can't do anything and they know it.

You do realise that this will go on for years !

If you respond to them, it will keep your file going.

If you don't bother to respond, now they all know you are in OZ, then you will find they stop writing for awhile.

Then the debt will get passed on and many months afterwards you may receive communications.

You ignore again.

It will go quiet for months and then a different company is writing to you.

Eventually the debts will die a death, unable to be sold on and you will hear no more.

It might take 5 years for that to happen :sad: