Brighthouse Stores (formerly Crazy Georges)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3817 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Morrigan

Just be sure that their "unusually kind offer" to wipe off your arrears doesn't really mean just a re-set of your account complete with brand new agreements.

DO NOT SIGN ANY NEW AGREEMENTS!!!!!

If you do, you will lose all your consumer rights regarding early settlement and/or repossession.

Don't trust 'em! ;)

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lefty

Thanks for that. This is what's bothering me to be honest. My suite is pretty much boxed off as I've only got 6 months left to pay on it. The other two I can live without so they can come for them no problem which if they are asking for me to sign new agreements then they can sling it and pick them up. The company is more trouble than what it's worth.

In fact I might walk in the shop with them and hand them over on a busy Saturday, I've no problem with that either.

I read your post Lefty on the optional cover thing? Do they have to remove this by law if you request it in writing? What happens if they refuse to cancel the optional cover? Thanks in advance.

I have a case against them with the OFT and FOS with regards to there Optional service cover and in the process of reclaiming back my service cover its states that if the item cant be repaired in your home we will give you a loan product laptop broke twice without it for 12 weeks no loan

false represention ive even had a call from brighthouse head office asking why i contacted the OFT and FOS and also trading stantards

if you had come to us we would have sorted it ball locks what did the last letter i had off then say this is our fainal discion on this matter

they even sent me a new agreement from the store and guess what some muppet left in the email from head ofice slagging me off has a customer OFT we happy to see it so watch this space brighthouse even offerd to write off whats left to pay

told the manager now the ****s hit the fan you think il just go away with your stupid offer

il be suing for harrassment,stress, so dont worry about writing off 600 add a 0 on the end by the time i finished with you

Please Tip My Scales if Info was Use full

Sounds like you're having a major rough deal welshnutteruk.

I don't know whether this would apply:

Malicious Communications Act 1988 . This makes it an offence to send a letter or other article which conveys an indecent or grossly offensive message or a threat, or which contains information known to be false and the purpose of the letter is to cause distress or anxiety.

I think it's outrageous an email of that nature was sent to you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

(Lefty, is there any advice you can give on this optional service cover or Re-setting the account)

Hi Caversham (brighthouse) have already been warned by the OFT type in caversham interesting reading

yes there internal email made great reading

(cause alarm and distress to persons) will look into that

my complaint is with OFT and FOS and my local trading standards when i mentioned to TS about them and they looked into it see said the missed a page out of your agreement about getting SC & DLC removed i told her its not my fault it is down to them to put the agreement together she stated that they would have to take it to court and ask a judge has there copy contain the pae and mine didnt i said they could have added it or they could say i removed it i also told her they sent out 2 new agreements for me to sign the 1 to keep contains 9 pages the 1 i have to send back contains 2 so they could add 7 different pages to theres(problem was i new more than her) i told her about 20 times check out the OFT and what they done them for 2 weeks later she still int looked

Also if they threated any of you that they will come and remove the items remind them that they will have to get a court order(that you can defend) no court order no legal right inj law to come onto your property even your garden only 2 people by law postie and someone asking for directions

im going to grind these tossers into the ground then has i have contacts with all the papers(i cover sports stories for them) i will be sending my story to the press the way i look at it if 10 people read the story thats 10 people who wont go there and ive saved from a devil company

Please Tip My Scales if Info was Use full

Hi guys - it's about time this shower were sorted. I suggest that in any complaint to the FOS/OFT we ask them to consider whether Caversham Finance (BrightHouse's real name) are 'fit and proper persons to hold a consumer credit license" - let's see what we can do.

Hey Steven, we'll sort em between us one day! :-)

Mind you, I think Brighthouse are enjoying the "credit crunch" we're all hearing about lately, and expecting a good year ahead!. They've moved on from tacky sponsorship of the Trisha show on 5 to a full blown 30 second advert on ITV tonight during the break in CORONATION STREET!!!! That's PEAK TIME advertising! The sales graph at head office will be OFF THE SCALE by Friday!!!! :-)

Morrigan

Read my factsheet on Brighthouse. You'll find it (as Steven pointed out) as a "sticky" at the top of this (Brighthouse) forum :)

Cheers

Lefty

• Haha 1

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

;)

Well, low and behold, Lefty you were spot on! I telephoned the accounts manager today at my local store and whilst he stated on the phone he would wipe my arrears, he did forget to mention that - yes they intend re-setting my account. Now then, I am in fact due to go in with a payment tommorow but- I'm not doing, don't get me wrong, I'm not refusing payment but I need to know the know before I walk in with that money because understanding BH staff is like trying to understand the Teletubbies- they speak their own lingo eh!

What I'm going to do either way is walk in their store with the goods that I'm sending back, they are replacable and I only got them before xmas so I stand to lose pittance so it's no skin off my nose.

I'd like some form of media coverage on this if I can so I'm going to try my best- I know they've heard the ' I'll sling you in the papers' threats off customers before but to be honest without going in to detail, I'm in quite a good position to get it.

I've been reading about BH charitable work online, in fact there are posters up about it in my local store as well as Trisha Goddards head peering over the cashier desk. I work as a volunteer for a local organisation in my town so maybe someone might be interested in the harrassment they've given me over what I call a meesley amount of money. In fact I was commended by an MP before Christmas for my work.

Has anyone you know of ever took a reporter in with them by any chance? I know you've all probably heard people like myself say this all before but I can assure you, I've rumbled worse!

Anyway back on topic, they are obviously gunning for me to sign a new agreement. Like I've said in a previous post, they'll have to get a court order for the suite so I'll let them, lifes too short to take any c%%p off them lot.

Lefty you seem to know your know on BH, have you looked in to human rights clauses they could possibly have breached in the form of harrassment? BH seem to have an answer for everything but the human rights act is a very complex law. I was just wondering if anyone has looked in to it? Sorry to waffle on but it sickens me to the pit of my stomach the amount of harrassment this company puts people through yet plaster their charitable nature all over their stores. Whilst they're handing out cookers and washers to homeless charities ( which ok fair play to them) in the next breath they are putting their customers on the verge of a breakdown because last year courtesy of them, I was nearly one of them.

I don't know about the Human Rights Act - but what about the Administration of Justice Act 1970 -

Under the provisions of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, Section 40, it is an offence to harass anyone with demands for payment which "in respect of their frequency or manner or occasion of making any such demand, or of any threat or publicity by which any demand is unaccompanied, are calculated to subject him or members of his family or household to alarm, distress or humiliation".

Then there's the OFT Guidance on Debt Collection - have a read of that. A lot is relevant.

Morrigan

Golden rule with Brighthouse... Ignore ANYTHING they tell you, unless it's in writing. ;)

There's no way on earth they'll write off your arrears - and, in all fairness, you probably don't want them to. You signed your agreement and, no doubt, you're quite happy to pay what you owe. Problem is you're clocking up weekley penalty charges all the time your account(s) are in arrears, so sometimes an account re-set can be a good thing.

Returning the recent items you don't need seems like a good idea. Do you have Optional Service Cover? If so, there will be no penalty for returning them early.

Concentrate on your suite. Here's what to do...

If you haven't done so already, cancel the optional service cover on it - there's advice about how to do this in my fact sheet.

Then, accept the gracious offer of an account re-set BUT with a few conditions of your own...

Insist the store manager (and you) sign the following covering letter and ensure it is stapled to your new agreement along with a copy of your ORIGINAL agreement...

Original agreement number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

New Agreement number (you may have to fill this in pen)

Date

Updated agreement to reflect removal of OSC and Account Re-Set

IMPORTANT Payments made previously on this agreement (XX payments to date representing XX of the total amount payable) are to be reflected, and form part of, any revised agreement.

All rights rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 regarding, in particular, “early settlement” and “repossession” as set out in section J of the original agreement remain intact and continue uninterupted into any revised agreement.

Signed - YOU

(Print name)

Signed - Store Manager

(print name)

If the store manager refuses to agree to the above, then advise him you will go to court.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Hi Lefty, I do have optional service cover on the other goods.

Thanks for this, I'm pretty much a no nonsense person so I'll draft a copy of that and as you say if he refuses to sign it then so be it a day out in court for me.

Has anyone ever won this shower in court? Or are they likely not to turn up should it result in a court matter? For some reason (I may be wrong however) something tells me these lot would avoid court like black plague!

I'd be interested to know how many people actually do get results and stand up to them. I just feel for those who are so frightened to stand up to them. Like many on here I'd just like to make a difference somehow.

Thanks again Lefty, much appreciated. :)

You're right. Brighthouse don't like going to court - but that's not to say they won't. If they DO take you to court for repossession let us know straight away, and I'll (we'll) help you.

There have been a couple of well publicised examples of Brighthouse being humiliated by court action - have a look at http://www.debt-on-our-doorstep.com/

I find it interesting, and somewhat amusing, at the number of TV (and other) researchers who have approached me concerning Brighthouse!

ITV wanted to make a documentary on the plight of the "credit impaired" and how they're exploited by the likes of Brighthouse and Co! They even shot a few segments. I was interviewed at length, as was another poster on this forum... Their folder of Brighthouse horror stories was bursting at the seams...

But, for some reason (surely not commercial pressure?) the programme never saw the light of day! (Brighthouse do advertise a lot on ITV!!!!!)

FIVE were also making a "very exposing programme" regarding Brighthouse, Cash Converters, Log Book Loans etc - again, with some assistance from myself...

But, for some reason (surely not commercial pressure?) the programme never saw the light of day, and FIVE promptly set up a sponsorship deal with Brighthouse for the Trisha Show!!!

I am becoming somewhat disillusioned by the media and, in particular,"TV reasearchers looking to expose the evil doings of big companies exploiting the poor and vulnerable" and am beginning to think that what they really mean is, "Hey, let's wheel out some skint, debt-ridden chavs, make 'em look stupid and pretend we care! After all, it makes good TV!"

Cheers. Keep us posted

Lefty

;)

Well what an eventful afternoon I've had! :rolleyes:

I took the money in what they asked for and the account managers attitude was terrible! I took a friend with me and he called me a liar because they sent out a letter blah blah blah which in all honesty I really didn't receive! I said well what difference does it make anyway because I'm here now! :rolleyes:

The account manager said he couldn't re-set my account so I have to now mess about going in the store again on Saturday morning when the store manager is in.

The account manager nastily said - BE IN HERE FIRST THING!

My friend was absolutely gobsmacked and I made a remark saying- see, this is what people have to put up with by these sharks even when they turn and ask for help off them! :mad:

The accounts manager put my payment in the yellow money and off I went with my receipt.

I came back and rang Bright House head office. Guess what? They couldn't give a *beep* but I am not putting up with a jobsworth calling me a liar, it was totally uncalled for. If I received a letter then I would have clearly admitted I received a letter, why should I deny it when the Bright House regiment telephone 24.7 anyway!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

I love this I came across........................ Careers at BrightHouse....

Working with us will give you all the benefits of a dynamic retail organisation, where hard work and performance are recognised and fully rewarded. And while high-flying careers aren't for everyone, we can offer the best of both worlds where a challenging and rewarding job is just the starting point and then it's entirely up to you how far you progress. And rest assured we're a company without prejudice; so it's not your experience and qualifications that we'll look out for but rather your talent, personality and attitude that will take you places in our company.

They look out for a talent? SO they train them to juggle whilst they verbally abuse you then?

They look for personality and attitude? How does that work then? Don't apply to Bright House if you haven't got an ASBO because oh they've got attitude alright! :rolleyes:

You've got to laugh really eh! LOL! Made my day really because I've no doubt soon they'll be taking Simon Cowell on board to suss out just how much talent their staff really have!

Well for what it's worth, I'm going to lodge a formal complaint about Mr account manager and see how far it doesn't get eh!

I'm not a happy bunny Bright House :mad:

Emails to Brighthouse bounce back. They used to have:

customer.services@brighthouse.co.uk

but it doesn't work any more. ;(

I'd be arsed if I was to go back again on Saturday!!! You've been in once (as arranged) and made a payment (as arranged) - mind you, the crafty sods haven't credited that to your account, they've just stuck it into your "yellow money" account which means you will encounter yet another LATE PAYMENT charge.

I think I'd be inclined to go back to the store (at your convienience) to return the items you no longer want, and inform the manager that you will accept their offer of an account re-set on your suite.

Tell them to prepare the necessary paperwork - making sure your most recent payment (in yellow money) is acknowledged - and that they apply the covering letter I gave you yesterday. Arrange a time (again at YOUR convienience) to return to the store and accept and sign the new agreement.

If the store refuses, make it very clear (in writing) that you will continue making payments on your suite but WILL NOT PAY ANY PENALTY CHARGES as these are unfair and illegal at common Law.

If not acceptable, let them apply for repossession and go to court.

Cheers

Lefty

;)

Hi Steven. I have incurred late payment charges in the past and I know some of the arrears have late payment charges included in them. They must have because where they've got this figure from (the arrears) I really couldn't tell you. It's all whistling over my head at the moment because I don't understand one bit of their alien jargon.

When I got in to difficulties last year with the suite, I involved trading standards, it didn't go down too well with the store manager but I must admit, they bent over backwards for me after that. It was a pleasure having them being polite- well for a short time anyway!

It is now a new store manager but what really makes me laugh is, they explain things in their BH language and expect you to understand the politics of yellow money and this that and the other.

Lefty it really annoyed me being told to go back in on Saturday but it leaves me with no option really doesn't it. I'll be honest here, I feel like just going to court and battling it out in there.

My advice would be to start a formal process to reclaim charges - send an SAR as you would to a bank for all the statements for your account. Eventually, you will get a load of till rolls from your local store as BH don't seem to have any central system and you will probably have to argue the toss with the store manager. Don't let that put you offthough. Only deal with them in writing and be firm. You will probably be surprised at how the £2.70s add up.

THe SAR I used is here

Since this has become the "hot" Brighthouse thread right now, please nip over and check this one out... Sad... Very sad...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/brighthouse/131110-brighthouse-enjoying-credit-crunch.html

Lefty

;)

It's very sad indeed............. Ok, when I got the goods off BH, I knew fully well I'd be paying well over the odds but because of my circumstances I didn't have much choice- well actually yes I did as I could of course scoured around for a re-conditioned suite or kept my eyes peeled for a second hand one but be it on my own head I went to these talented people at BH.

What I didn't expect was the abuse and constant agro off them every time I experienced a blip of financial difficulty.

I wonder how many customers are in the same boat with arrears after Christmas? The staff were like vultures during the Xmas period pouncing on customers left right and centre trying to flog their super exceptional swag!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3817 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks