Housing Benefit questions

xmedia
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3381 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently paying my rent and everything myself. In December 2014 I took out a tenancy on a new house, moved from old place as had too many bedrooms and spent ages trying to find a suitable two bed property not a flat

I had to pay the whole six months rent in advance at the time of signing the tenancy. (Through an estate agents). Because i have no guarantor as both my parents are dead and no siblings this is now the norm it seems. I have money to pay the next six months in advance in June I can set aside, which will then leave me with around £9,500 to date. I am not getting any benefits since July 2013 as I inherited some money.

How will this affect a Housing Benefit Claim as I believe you can still claim despite having paid in advance? My remaining £9,500 after June tenancy set aside will entitle me to some Housing Benefit minus a £1 per £250 deduction. I am struggling to find a job as I am 50 and was a full time carer to my father for the last 8 years so have a very patchy CV which gets me turned down all the time even for supermarket work.

I am worried about keeping a roof over our heads if the norm is 6 months in advance.

Paying in advance shouldn't affect your housing benefit claim.

You're right that your current savings will affect a claim (£1 reduction for every £250 of savings over £6000). when you claim, you will also need to provide details of your inheritance and may have to justify any large or excessive spending (if there was any).

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

might this not be a UC rather than HB claim?

Is UC nationwide now or still in select areas? I'm not up on the rollout yet.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop