Newbie needs help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3391 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry I need to ask for advice but not sure where to ask or where to post,

we hired a person who assured us he could do the job which was laying a large patio,

he left it unfinished and in a very poor state,

not flat or level,

he admitted liability and admitted the job is awful and

said we would only need to pay for materials and no labour which is fine,

we don't want him back as its obvious he cant do the work at a satisfactory standard,

we now have to find someone else to dig up the entire garden and start again,

what can we do,

we contacted citizien advice but wasn't very helpful as

we are not trying to get any money refunded as we haven't paid for any labour only cost of materials,

thankyou for any help x

Welcome to CAG :)

Your thread is now in the correct forum and hopefully someone will be able to offer some advice soon.

If you are not wishing to have money refunded, exactly what are you looking to achieve ?

How did you obtain the name of the person/company you originally hired? Sometimes it is best to ask locally from someone who has had similar work done. The larger DIY stores such as HomeBase, B&Q and Wicks have trade boards where local tradesmen leave their cards.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

We want to know if we are entitled to any kind of compensation for the unfinished work that was carried out

and that is going to cost us a few more thousand pounds to put right,

the garden was done for my son who is registered disabled and needs an outside space which is flat/level,

at the moment he wouldn't be able to use the garden without being supervised as there are sloping areas

and dips and unfinished bits where slabs are missing, there are broken slabs left in garden so its been left unsafe,

the cowboy is argueing that for the price he quoted the work is adequate,

if we paid him another couple of thousand he would come back and re do it,

well if he couldn't do it right the first time round hes definitely not coming back to do more work.

Aha, righto..

Was this a proper company? How did you come to hire him? How did you pay him ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

we moved to Northants in November,

total newbies to the area,

no friends or relatives,

I asked about and put up a post on facebook and the person contacted me,

he trades under the name oddjobs handyman services and comes across quite professional,

we did stress that we were on a tight budget,

explained that we wanted the grass gone and to be replaced with paving slabs,

the saying you get what you pay for comes to mind,

he layed the slabs on top of the grass after putting some sand down first,

I instantly thought surely the grass needs to be dug out and taken away

but thought hes the professional he must know what hes doing.

When he came back to finish the job and for payment we clearly told him that we would happily pay for materials

but no way on gods earth was we paying for anything else,

he agreed with everything we threw at him,

admitted he had done a terrible job,

he said if we paid him for materials

he would come back free of charge

and dig it all up and do it properly,

a few hours after he left us we received an email wih a new estimate for the work

including labour charges,

we politely declined his offer.

Edited by citizenB
spacing

Ouch, it does sound as though something is very wrong indeed. I agree, grass does need to come up first !! I am not sure I would want him back to finish the work either.

If you have not paid him yet, then IMHO, you need to get a quote for the materials that have already been provided (they can very likely be reused when you find someone who is a "professional") pay him for those only.

Do you have a largish garden centre near you ? They would probably have a notice board where landscape gardeners advertise. Alternatively look in your local newspaper. Ask some of your neighbours, it would be a good way of introducing yourself as well :)

Is there a Library or Community Centre, they might be able to recommend someone.

BCOBS

You should only pay for materials that are reuse able.

In this case that would be whole paving slabs only !!

The sand cement used is his problem.

Also bear in mind that you are going to have too pay "someone" to clean the old sand cement off the slabs. ... A cost that you should deduct from the materials.

Do not let this "Clown" back. He clearly knows nothing of the building / construction industry. ....

The "clue" was in his own description of his "trade"...... "Odd job man" and that is all he can produce, odd jobs.

No professional in the building trade would class themselves as an "Odd job man". (30 odd years in the building) "Been there, done it, got the tee shirt and made the film.

FB is a bad place to find a Builder !!

If I was you I would contact the slab manufacturer and see who they recommend or as citizenB said talk to a neighbour who has had an extension.

Good Luck.

may i suggest that if it is for a disabled person that you google the "family fund"

its a fund that will provide upto £500 of funds for various needs, if your son cannot use the garden without it being re-done then it is eligible for this fund

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Thanks everyone for your help and comments, don't suppose anyone could draft me a letter to send him, basically telling him we will pay for only re useable materials (in a professional manner) I am useless at putting things in writing, should I be asking him to send copy of original receipt for paving slabs? Thanks again peeps

Have you paid this person anything yet? If not, then you are in control. I would tell him that you are getting someone else to have a look and won't pay anything until the situation has been sorted.

I would get a proper builder round to have a look and give you a quote.

A reasonable way to approach this would be to ask the new builder what he would have charged if you went to him in the first place, and compare that what he has quoted you to fix up the botched job. You could then pay the old builder the difference because that is the 'value' you have received from the botched job. This will probably be a bit less than the original cost of the materials.

I'm sure we can help you with a letter, but first I think we would need a clear idea of what you want to achieve. Its probably worth getting a few quotes to see where you stand before writing the letter.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

We haven't handed over any money as yet, we are arguing over the amount, if its correct in saying we only pay for the re useable materials then we owe him nothing as the concrete mix has now set and is solid so we cant dig them all up and re lay, can he take US to small claims court for his money? this is getting so stressful, we are waiting for a couple of quotes to put right this terrible mess.

The legal position is that he entered into a contract with you to supply building services. Under the law, services must be supplied with 'reasonable care and skill'. Since he has breached that obligation, he is liable for the difference between what you got (a botched patio) and what you should have got (a decent patio).

If you can't re-use the materials then I don't think you owe anything. In fact, if it will cost more than he quoted to get another builder in to fix the mess, then he would owe you the difference.

Anyone can issue a small claim against anyone for anything - the question is whether they will be successful. If he issues a claim against you, you would then have an opportunity to defend that claim on the basis of his poor worksmanship. There would then be a short hearing before a judge at the nearest county court, and the judge would decide if any money is due.

Small claims can be a little bit stressful but frankly they are not that stressful and not that difficult - the main thing that would be required is a little bit of effort to be able to show the judge why the work was so poor (for example, detailed photographs and possibly a report from a builder).

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I would likewise offer to pay him for useable materials and forget about the rest. You are going to have to get someone to quote for the job rather than quoting for a remedial job so jut make sure that you are specific in what you want and dont make reference to the current botch up.