Vodafone nuisance calls #9260167 - i'm after obtaining an injunction order

p3t3r
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3078 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi Sabre,

I did read your post, thanks.

Only problem in making a complaint to ICO is that it seems I have to make numerous complaints since their website only allows me to list one instance of a single text / call.

As Vodafone have ignored my Subject Access Request, what can I do to force them to supply me with it?

I wanted the SAR to help me in my complaint against vodafone, so I have a copy of all phone calls, emails, chats asking them to stop their unsolicited communication to me, in addition to a copy of all their unsolicited texts and phone calls which were made to me.

I am cynical in thinking that Vodafone are ignoring my SAR since it will undoubtedly prove they are in the wrong on many occasions, that they ignore my letter before action in the hope that I will just be ground down by their abysmal customer service (such as 2 and a half hours today in online chat) and therefore give up pursuing this matter.

Vodafone ignoring my SAR and letter before claim / letter before action - Now I am unsure as to what to do....

Sending copies again to Vodafone and waiting another 40 days for them to respond to my SAR seems futile. There should be no reason why they did not respond to my SAR! There should also be no reason why they failed to respond to my letter before action. Saying that, there should be no reason why they failed to respond to my numerous complaints / concerns as outlined in this thread.

btw - I am still receiving junk texts from vodafone even at this stage! ludicrous!

As I said, I want this matter to be brought to a close and am quite willing to pursue this in court, even if only as a matter of principle.

I feel that Vodafone have deliberately chosen to ignore me and the crux of my complaint.

My 2 and half hour online chat with vodafone ended with the vodafone rep saying that I should make a Subject Access Request again, plus the online rep saying that a manager would phone me back in the next few working days. I had to explain on more than one occasion that I did not want any phone calls from Vodafone though the rep was quite insistent today that a manager would phone me.

I hope that a manager does not phone me. Otherwise, I intend to charge £10 per minute of my time in phone call. This was informed to Vodafone several weeks ago after they continually ignored their duty under DPA.

I am just at a loss as to how to move this matter forward and bring it to a close.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking to Vodafone by phone and online chat is pointless in a situation where you are considering court action. If this gets to court you will need a paper trail demonstrating what has happened - see my signature.

Stick to emails and letters.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

hi steampowered, thanks, yes, i realise this.

the only reason why I wasted a further 2 and a half hours of my life within Vodafone chat was to find out when they would send me my SAR and answer my letter before action.

It took Vodafone online chat a total of 2 and a half hours to tell me to write and request SAR again. For some reason, at no point during the 2 and a half hours within online chat did a vodafone rep answer my query concerning letter before action. For some reason, this was sidestepped, i don't know why.

But I wont waste my time in writing to Vodafone again for SAR, I will make complaint to ICO concerning my SAR.

Hello,

I am unable to get the reference number to paste into this thread. The website says invalid code.

My complaint:

1. Last Friday I spent over 2 and a half hours within vodafone chat to find out if Vodafone intend on sending me my subject access request since it is now well outside the required timeframe allowed for a response. Also to ask when someone from Vodafone will respond to my letter before claim as this is also outside the required timeframe for a response.

At the end of the 2 and a half hours, I had simply had enough and requested the vodafone rep to raise a complaint. No email was received in response to my complaint or concern from the 2 and a half hour online vodafone chat.

2. Today, over one and a half hours within vodafone chat for the same reasons as above, to find out where my SAR is and to find out if anyone is going to bother to answer my letter before claim (since both are outside the required time limits. At the end of this total 4 hours online chat, I was told that my query could only be dealt with if I contacted customer services my phone! 4 hours to be told this?!!!

3. I requested the chat rep to raise a complaint due to the fact that I had spent over 4 hours in online chat to be told to phone customer services. The chat rep said that they couldn't raise this as a complaint since they can not raise complaints? Ludicrous! Especially since your website states to contact online chat if there is a complaint.

4. I phoned customer services and my call was transferred to a manager, I was left on hold for one hour and 32 minutes. Then my call was disconnected by vodafone.

So far, it has taken me a total of over 5 and a half hours to find out an answer as to where my subject access request is. Over 5 and a half hours and still no response.

Sure, I could write to yourselves and ask where this is but having already wrote to yourselves to be ignored, then I feel as though yet another letter is pointless.

My question:

What compensation (if any) are you going to provide me with in respect of the abysmal level of customer service I have had to endure (5 and a half hours with no outcome)

Please note that the above complaint is entirely separate and different from my previous complaint concerning vodafones unsolicited communication. The complaint in this post relates to over 5 and a half hours waiting for Vodafone customer service combined between online chat and phone call.

My other separate complaint is awaiting a response in relation to my SAR and letter before claim.

Thank you.

BTW - I am still awaiting my Subject Access Request and response in relation to my letter before claim concerning previous complaints.

I have given Vodafone enough chances to sort out this problem. I have been more than patient and have actually tried to assist Vodafone in sending my SAR and answering my letter before action.

Vodafone have failed time and time again.

I have this week contacted the ICO in relation to the unsolicited communication and failing to provide me with Subject Access Request.

I have also contacted the local police since I consider Vodafones actions to be criminal.

I have contacted Vodafone Nuisance Calls bureau. Vodafone website states that with my permission, they will supply the call information directly to the police.

Vodafone nuisance calls bureau have replied to my email, so, I know that it has been received. They said they would respond to me within 48 hours.

I will await my Subject Access Request and then when I receive it, I will use it to help me make a claim against vodafone for harassment at the local court.

Also, within court, I will bring it to the attention of the Judge that Vodafone have failed to answer my letter before action in addition to the many times I have tried to help vodafone comply in answering the letter (through online chat and phone calls).

Had Vodafone tried to appease my concerns and provide compensation for their many failings, then I would have been happy at that outcome.

However, Vodafone have not done this and it is my opinion that they have deliberately ignored me. Further, it is my opinion that lies were told to me by a Vodafone online chat representative. I will refrain from posting the log of that online chat as it is simply an embarrassment to Vodafone. When I pointed out the lies, the chat rep apologised twice.

I would like to bring this matter to a close as soon as possible. Inevitably, that involves court action since vodafone are clearly ignoring me.

2 questions:

1. Does the The Litigants in Person (Costs and Expenses) Act apply to me should it be necessary for legal action against vodafone?

2. Is Vodafone Nuisance Calls Bureau obliged to send a full copy of their own unsolicited communication to the police?

3. I really wanted the SAR to help me in my complaint. Is it possible to proceed to court with my own evidence, or would it be better if I was patient and waited for my SAR? Ideally I would like to bring this to a close... But I am willing to wait if needed.

Thanks again in advance for any help!

As suspected, Vodafone nuisance calls bureau have failed to respond to my request that they supply the police with information concerning their own unsolicited communication. This is in despite of the fact that they replied to my request via email to say they would contact me within 48 hours.

Having contacted Vodafone earlier in relation to the above, I was told by the customer service representative that she would immediately place a marker on my account so that I will not any further unsolicited communication?????? Despite all the above, this has not already been done?

I think you should stop speaking to Vodafone by phone or through the online chat. It is totally pointless. Random customer service staff aren't going to be able to tell you things like what is happening with your SAR or your letter of claim. Keep it in writing addressed to the person or department who is actually dealing with your case.

1. Does the The Litigants in Person (Costs and Expenses) Act apply to me should it be necessary for legal action against vodafone?
Generally, no legal costs are awarded in the small claims track.

2. Is Vodafone Nuisance Calls Bureau obliged to send a full copy of their own unsolicited communication to the police?
They might be obliged if the correspondence constitutes 'personal data' held by them, meaning it has to have a significant biographical element to it. The correspondence probably does not meet this test so the answer is probably no.

3. I really wanted the SAR to help me in my complaint. Is it possible to proceed to court with my own evidence, or would it be better if I was patient and waited for my SAR? Ideally I would like to bring this to a close... But I am willing to wait if needed
Wait for the SAR before doing anything.

Having contacted vodafone earlier in relation to the above, I was told by the customer service representative that she would immediately place a marker on my account so that I will not any further unsolicited communication?????? Despite all the above, this has not already been done?
A further demonstration of why talking to random customer service staff about this is not going to get you anywhere. Call centres can help you with simple things but I doubt they can help with anything you want to achieve.

hello steampowered, thank you for your help!

The ICO website, I completed my complaint, but they only allow for one single call or text to be reported. So, I will write a letter to ICO this week and request that they look at my overall complaint as a whole to see the repeated failings of Vodafone, hopefully then Vodafone will send me my SAR.

Ideally I would like to proceed with court action without having to wait for the ICO to remind vodafone of their legal obligations.

I may be cynical in saying this, but I believe that Vodafone know how difficult it is for their customers to take legal action against them and that is the reason why Vodafone repeatedly shows a complete disregard for their customers. I can appreciate that a company as large as vodafone may make a mistake from time to time, the first few mistakes they made with me I simply accepted, but, then I lost patience with their level of customer service and decided to ask for help in CAG and to document things here from the date I asked for help. It has shown that they have gone past the point of making a few simple mistakes (which I would have accepted) to showing a complete disregard for their customer as well as showing a complete disregard of UK law which they should have adhered to.

This started off as a small complaint. Something which could have easily been rectified by vodafone. Vodafone could have easily rectified this last year as well as at the start of this year. The complaint has now snowballed, a knock on effect, which has led to other complaints.

As I said I may be cynical in saying the above, but it is my opinion that Vodafone treat their customers in such disregard knowing it is very unlikely that customers will proceed further.

I will proceed further in this complaint. I know that the time I have spent learning and researching in relation to my complaint in addition to the times I have spent with Vodafone awful customer service far outweighs any form of compensation I intend to claim. It will probably equate to about 50p per hour of my time. Hardly worth it from a financial viewpoint, but from a moral viewpoint it is.

Really not much else for me to say here. I will just use this thread to post outcome of my ICO complaint, Police investigation, and result of legal proceedings.

OK, good luck to you.

Just be a bit careful before issuing legal proceedings. You need to be careful to avoid getting hammered for costs if you are unsuccessful.

• 2 weeks later...

to update -

Vodafone nuisance calls bureau replied to my email request that they should provide a copy of the nuisance calls to the police.

Their response takes a lot of deciphering, but, I think that they say that they can not help me in sending a copy of the nuisance calls to the police (despite vodafone website stating otherwise), also that they can only help customers who are receiving calls from withheld numbers.

At least, that is what I think their email reply says.

Also, I am still waiting for ICO response... It seems I may wait for eternity for my SAR!

Received response from CEO asking me to call a number.

Conclusion from latest vodafone call is:

1. It is Vodafone policy that they require their own form to be completed in order for SAR.

2. Vodafone will not pay £200 in respect of their harassment in unwanted SMS and telephone calls.

3. Vodafone received letter before action as it was read out on the phone to me (all calls recorded). Yet, they did not reply to my letter before action, it was basically ignored.

The person I spoke with today seemed a little different from the other Vodafone people I have spoken with. (It was a different number, and my call was not endlessly transferred).

When I said that there is no legal requirement for me to fill in a SAR form from vodafone, I was told that this is Vodafone policy and I was also told that the department does not action SAR unless the relevant vodafone form is completed!!!!!!!!!!!

Having vodafone read part of my letter before action to me on recorded phone call just shows that vodafone have also willingly ignored my letter before action????????

Also, I need now wait another 40 days before I can proceed to sue them for a nominal amount of £200 which will equate to about 50p per hour of my time dealing with pathetic level of customer service!!!! And that is if I win!!!

Any further advice / help appreciated, thanks!

Also, question - £200 was nominal, now I am thinking of £1,000 based upon the standard of abysmal customer service and the fact that vodafone should realise it should not ignore its customers rights within law. Exemplary damages ???

Received response from CEO asking me to call a number.

Conclusion from latest vodafone call is:

1. It is Vodafone policy that they require their own form to be completed in order for SAR.

2. Vodafone will not pay £200 in respect of their harassment in unwanted SMS and telephone calls.

3. Vodafone received letter before action as it was read out on the phone to me (all calls recorded). Yet, they did not reply to my letter before action, it was basically ignored.

The person I spoke with today seemed a little different from the other Vodafone people I have spoken with. (It was a different number, and my call was not endlessly transferred).

When I said that there is no legal requirement for me to fill in a SAR form from vodafone, I was told that this is Vodafone policy and I was also told that the department does not action SAR unless the relevant vodafone form is completed!!!!!!!!!!!

Having vodafone read part of my letter before action to me on recorded phone call just shows that vodafone have also willingly ignored my letter before action????????

Also, I need now wait another 40 days before I can proceed to sue them for a nominal amount of £200 which will equate to about 50p per hour of my time dealing with pathetic level of customer service!!!! And that is if I win!!!

Any further advice / help appreciated, thanks!

Also, question - £200 was nominal, now I am thinking of £1,000 based upon the standard of abysmal customer service and the fact that vodafone should realise it should not ignore its customers rights within law. Exemplary damages ???

£200 at 50p/hour : you are saying you have spent 400 hours on this?.

I'm all for being able to show a court you have tried to be reasonable and use court only as a last resort - but that would be 10 weeks full time work spent on it?!?

At some point, if you have been reasonable and they are ignoring your LBA : you are going to have to stop threatening and issue a claim. 10 weeks full time equivalent spent is probably well past that point.

You weren't exaggerating how long you have spent or "just bluffing" about issuing a claim, were you?

Exemplary damages?!? Where did you read / hear of that?

You can claim for your actual losses, and actual time spent preparing for court (at the litigant in person rate). If you try to claim for 400 hours : be prepared to be laughed at.

If you were aiming to obtain costs on an "indemnity" basis (is that what you meant by exemplary damages?) :

a) not in the small claims track

b) you'd have to show the court grounds on which to claim this.

Restitutionary damages would be unlikely. You'd have to show that damages only for your actual losses were manifestly unfair, and that they had made an unjust profit so that it was "fair, just and reasonable" to remove it from them and grant to you (a la the AG v Blake, & the Experience Hendrix cases)

yes, about 400 hours - as i have had to read and understand different things (legislation from gov website) as well as many other things required to learn since i have never taken any company to court before

there is about 15 hours of online chat, as well as about another 15 hours of recorded phone calls, plus a lot of other time that makes upto around 400 hours i guess. a lot of that time spent reading irrelevant things such as injunctions.

I have been reasonable. But earlier recorded phone call proves that vodafone has received my letter before action (since it was read out to me) in addition to vodafone admitting they ignore Subject Access Requests unless it is on a Vodafone form. (the words were, the department does not process anything without the required form).

Basically, the further I complain, the further I try and sort situation out, the more mess Vodafone get themselves into!

And no, I was not bluffing. But I need to follow correct process and not mess anything up.

Off topic.... my new network sent me a marketing text:lol: but since I requested my new network to stop, they have remained silent, unlike vodafone....

yes, about 400 hours - as i have had to read and understand different things (legislation from gov website) as well as many other things required to learn since i have never taken any company to court before

there is about 15 hours of online chat, as well as about another 15 hours of recorded phone calls, plus a lot of other time that makes upto around 400 hours i guess. a lot of that time spent reading irrelevant things such as injunctions.

I have been reasonable. But earlier recorded phone call proves that vodafone has received my letter before action (since it was read out to me) in addition to vodafone admitting they ignore Subject Access Requests unless it is on a Vodafone form. (the words were, the department does not process anything without the required form).

Basically, the further I complain, the further I try and sort situation out, the more mess Vodafone get themselves into!

And no, I was not bluffing. But I need to follow correct process and not mess anything up.

Off topic.... my new network sent me a marketing text:lol: but since I requested my new network to stop, they have remained silent, unlike vodafone....

LIP rate is £18/hour.

400 hours at £18/hour is £7200.

If you were claiming £7200 for your time, the court would likely suggest you should have engaged professional legal advice for far fewer hours, at less cost as you are required to "mitigate your loss"

Claiming for 400 hours would be seen as unreasonable.

You posted on 22/4/15:

hi,

I would like to move my problem forward with vodafone and start legal action (as described above).

I have sent Vodafone a Subject Access Request along with payment. I have also sent Vodafone an amended letter before action.

Vodafone have failed in their duty under Data Protection Act (not surprising if you read this thread) as they have not sent me my Subject Access Request.

Vodafone have also failed to acknowledge by letter before action and have failed to answer my letter.

What is my next step in taking legal action? I would like the Subject Access Request from Vodafone as this will help me take legal action against them, but the SAR has seemingly been ignored along with my letter before claim.

Is it possible to start legal action now?

You sent your LBA (or rather, the amended LBA) on or before 22nd April? You gave them 14 days to respond?

It has now been over 3 weeks?

How much longer are you planning on giving them?

You'd have been better getting all the information for a court claim first, before threatening court.

They may now be thinking "he is all bluster / bluff"?

bazza, no, i am certainly not all bluster or bluff, but I feel that Vodafone relies on the fact that most people are

exemplary damages? is this possible? can i ask the judge to award damages or must i come to this figure myself?

bazza, no, i am certainly not all bluster or bluff, but I feel that Vodafone relies on the fact that most people are

exemplary damages? is this possible? can i ask the judge to award damages or must i come to this figure myself?

I've already answered regarding exemplary damages ("not going to happen").

Where did you get the concept of "exemplary damages" from?

If you intend to proceed as a litigant in person, have you sought guidance?

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/JCO/Documents/Guidance/A_Handbook_for_Litigants_in_Person.pdf ?

Patricia Pearl's book (or equivalent) ?

I note your LBA requires Vodafone to compensate you with £200.

I can't see in your LBA where you derive this figure from / the grounds under which you claim it.

Compensation for time spent?

Compensation for the texts you have received?

Compensation for hurt feelings? (A non-starter, included here to illustrate why it is important to be clear on what you are claiming and why, for people to be able to advise you on its relevancy!)

hi, thanks for your help again,

Earlier in this thread, I was advised to claim a nominal amount of £100 or £200, also was advised to wait for my SAR before starting legal action

Yes, I have read about litigants in person, it is part of my accumulation of 400 or so hours trying to make a successful outcome to the ineptitude shown by Vodafone

From what I understand, I am not entitled to claim compensation for time spent, or for communication received or hurt feelings - as per your suggestions.

But I am entitled to make a claim in respect of harassment. Is this correct?

To answer your question about how I got my concept of exemplary damages, I thought that if a Judge could see a company has failed on numerous occasions (as outlined in this thread) as well as failing to adhere to legislation on numerous occasions (again outlined in this thread), then the Judge could make an award of exemplary damages to serve as an example to others? (that is what i thought)

:-x:x:-x BIG mistake.... Just checked my new phone on new network (not vodafone) and found texts from vodafone earlier today sent to my new network number on my new phone!!!!!!!

Vodafone email asked me to call them in relation to my letter to CEO - to a number not shown on google, like a private number....

After calling Vodafone from my new network provider, Vodafone respond by sending me texts requesting my comments about their customer service

I hope this does not give Vodafone an excuse to start their marketing as they now have details of my new number.

I am so utterly stupid at times.

:-x:xangry.gifmad.gifangry.gifmad.gifangry.gifmad.gifangry.gifmad.gifangry.gifmad.gif

From what I understand, I am not entitled to claim compensation for time spent, or for communication received or hurt feelings - as per your suggestions.

But I am entitled to make a claim in respect of harassment. Is this correct?

To answer your question about how I got my concept of exemplary damages, I thought that if a Judge could see a company has failed on numerous occasions (as outlined in this thread) as well as failing to adhere to legislation on numerous occasions (again outlined in this thread), then the Judge could make an award of exemplary damages to serve as an example to others? (that is what i thought)

"Exemplary damages" : not in the UK.

"Restitutionary damages" (where a claimant isn't limited to just their losses, see previous post) are a form of damages to "punish" wrongdoing, and can be granted in the UK but are unlikely in your case.

However, my point is that you still haven't said where you got the term / concept of "exemplary damages" from, and if you use a term in your claim : you really ought to know it is the right term to use & applicable in the UK, or you may trip yourself up.

Returning to what you are claiming for : your LBA stated the events you are complaining about. Your LBA asked for £200.

However, it didn't give the grounds under which you were claiming £200.

You have said "give me £200 or else", not "give me £200 as compensation for harassment, or else" or "give me £200 for compensation for the time I've spent" or "give me £200 as compensation for the pizza I've ordered on Wednesdays"

(my point being the first two reasons might be seen as reasonable [depending on which track of which court, and not 400 hours worth!], the latter not, and don't Voda deserve to know what reason you are actually claiming for?).

The courts do give litigants in person some leeway, but you need to "tighten up" on the way you are doing things or you'll give them "legal wiggle room".

Why should they send you £200 in response to a LBA if it isn't clear to them why you should be entitled to it?.

If they are offering you a goodwill payment, sure, let them work out their reasons for making it. If it is for a court to rule they have to pay it to you, you'll need to state what you are claiming for, not leave them to work it out.

If the £200 is a nominal sum for damages as a result of harrasment : your LBA should have stated that.

If you are waiting for your SAR response before issuing the claim - wise. However, why threaten to issue a claim after 2 weeks if you were waiting for the SAR?. Why not wait until you "had your ducks in a row".?

One of the paths to success is convincing the opposition you'll win in court, so they settle before then. You want to show them you are organised, have the evidence, are able to follow procedure, and aren't bluffing. Even if they don't settle : this then makes it more likely you'll win in court (due to a well presented case)

I'm not sure sending them an amended LBA that doesn't state the grounds for your claim, sent prior to the SAR return, with a "claim will follow in 14 days" statement that isn't then backed up by a claim (over 3 weeks later) gives them this impression.

Get the SAR. By all means try to enforce compliance with the SAR. While doing so : don't make threats of legal action unless you know you can commence them (in the timescale you threaten), and win. Otherwise: they may see you as in a weak position / bluffing.

hi Bazza, thank you again for your help!

in relation to Vodafone not knowing what the 200 compensation is for, after contacting CEO and being given a number to call, CEO representative then asked me why £200 to which i replied compensation for harassment - the reply was Vodafone would not agree to this.

Following on from yesterday is yet further complaints, for example, CEO reps phone call I was informed:

1. Vodafone do not process SAR unless Vodafone own form has been used, apparently, this is Vodafones policy. I pointed out to Vodafone CEO rep that this is infact going against UK legislation.

2. Vodafone received by letter before action yet have not replied to it. I know they have received it because it was partly read out to me on the phone yesterday (call recorded)

3. I used my new phone with new network to call Vodafone, - their response is to send me their stupid customer care survey. Sending SMS to my new non vodafone phone.

Thank you again for your help! It is quite a complex process in taking Vodafone to court, with many things to learn.

One simple complaint to Vodafone should have been actioned by Vodafone last year. They chose not to and instead let the complaint snowball into many additional complaints based around Vodafones inability to adhere to UK legislation as well as their abysmal customer service.

Any further advice in how I can proceed to court would be appreciated. Do I need to send them an amended letter before action, or will my previous letter before action be sufficient as they are aware the £200 represents harassment compensaiton?

just an update...

Previously, because Vodafone would not stop calling or texting me (despite many requests and demands that they stop), I purchased a new phone with a different network.

I received email from Vodafone CEO rep asking me to call vodafone. I called vodafone. I used my non vodafone phone to call vodafone.

Vodafone then decided (without my permission) to send me an SMS on my new phone which was purchased to get away from vodafone.

Upon calling the CEO phone number again today in relation as to why Vodafone can possibly think they have the right to take and use my non vodafone number without my permission, I was told that this would be 'investigated internally'

This vodafone thread is abysmal. It does nothing other than showing Vodafone do not know what they are doing as well as continually breaking various laws.

The fact that vodafone can take my new non vodafone number and place it on their system without my permission, and this was done by a CEO representative beggars belief especially as our conversation revolved around Data Protection.

Throughout this forum thread, it can be seen time and time again that vodafone simply do not care about their customers rights under law. The law is there to protect people, yet, it can be seen that Vodafone are continually ignoring this.

Any further advice on how to proceed with this to court is appreciated, thanks!

They got my new number because they sent a reply from my email to CEO asking me to call them via an 0333 number.

I called them using my new phone / number, = they then used this number (without my permission) to send me a customer text.

I am so stupid in phoning them with my non vodafone number..... :(