Landlord hasnt protected deposit - refusing to return it

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3414 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys!

I am once again being trodden on by rich people!

So I shall post here to see if anyone has any advice for my plight!

In november I moved into a rented house in our town, for me and my girlfriend, who is disabled by the way!

The landlord was messing us around from the off, trying to let the property when they hadnt even bought it yet, so even though they gave me a start date for the move and I paid up the rent in advance I couldnt move in because she technically didnt own the property as it was awaiting some signing or some such nonsense!

Anyway, when I finally got in, there was damp, leaking roof, and RATS

the rats kept us from sleeping which is very bad for my partner as she has myotonic distrophy and needs lots of rest.

I told them about this problem straight away and about the damp and mould and leaking roof.

They just flat lied and said it was just "condensation" - which Ive never had in other properties and that the rats were just "mice" and they would "sort it out"

They didnt sort it.

Nothing at all was done - eventually after many emails from me they got the council to send a pest officer round who tried putting poison down (had zero effect).

She came back two more times, on the last time she said there was nothing she could do and you can never get rid of these rats as they could be coming in from anypoint in the house from underground.

The whole time I had had very little sleep - and as soon as another suitable property came up I moved in.

I was in the rat infested place for a little over 8 weeks.

Since moving out, I told them I have to move, as the rats are causing me ill-health, she has at first asked for proof I had paid my council tax and water and electric and gas bills - which I emailed her.

Then I have heard nothing and she hasnt replied to my three emails asking when I will get my £500 deposit back!

She has since relisted the property as "newly refurbished" (LIES!) even though it has a terminal rat problem!

One thing that struck me is I never had to sign a form like I did with the last landlord about the deposit protection scheme.

So I very much doubt she has followed the law that requires all landlords to put tennants money in a deposit protection scheme.

Anyway

I have read that If I take her to court, then I will get the deposit back, and she may even have to repay me twice the amount.

So can anyone tell me how on earth I can take her to court?

I have no experience in this and cant afford a solicitor!

No solicitor needed

Send a letter titled "Letter before action" Recorded delivery to the address of the landlord as liste don yoru tenancy agreement.

Demand the deposit back within 14 days

draft a letter here for others to input.

Then you isue a claim on MCOL (money claim online) which people here can help you with

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

lukebolger

The above advice is correct.

Do you have gas at the property ?

Was a current Gas safety cert provided ?

For more input I've asked Site Team to move your thread to "residential lettings"

Good Luck

LL also has to supply an EPC for the property!

Send a letter as said asking for deposit back.

Beware though she may take you to court or defend your action, for the remainder of the rent!!

You should of got a full EH report on the flat from the council to defend your action in leaving early.