Akinika calling and sending letters for repaid DWP debt

Jabo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3418 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

TL;DR

Akinika calling and sending letters about DWP debt that has been repaid.

Should I ignore, write and tell them to jog on, or contact DWP?

In 1999 I was temporarily homeless, and got a crisis loan for b&b, food e.t.c.

Was paying £10 a week back, then lost my job and was on jsa for ~6 weeks, they were taking a few quid a week out to repay the loan.

When I got another job, I started paying back £10 a week like before. Last payment was sometime in early 2000.

In late 2005, got a letter from DWP saying I still owed £82 and a bit of change. I did my sums and it seemed correct, so I sent a cheque.

March 2014, started getting letters from CCS saying I owed DWP £68 for a social fund debt.

First few went straight in the shredder, but after the 4th one I wrote back asking for proof. No more letters came.

4 days ago, got a call from Akinika. Refused to confirm any personal info as I didn't have a clue who they were.

Now I have a letter from them saying that I owe £68, at the top it says the debt is to CCS, but in the body it says the debt is to DWP.

They "intend to arrange a doorstep call by one of [their] home collection division and, with [my] agreement, discuss [my] outstanding account" and I have 72 hours to respond to the letter.

They can discuss anything they want with my doorstep, but I don't think it will be much help :madgrin:

I searched on here and read the akinika threads,

so I'm not actually expecting anybody to roll up, and I know I did right by not discussing it on the phone,

but what should my next step be?

Do I write back? Contact DWP for clarification? Ignore altogether?

I not only want to resolve the situation, but also find out why DWP passed my info to these mouth-breathers without contacting me first.

I should point out that I have absolutely no records of either the original loan, or any repayments. I actually did have, but lost everything in the floods last year. :sad:

No point getting historical bank statements either as I made all the payments at the jobcentre office, except that last cheque, but AFAIK because that was more than 6 years ago, the bank wont be able to provide that info.

moved to the benefits forum.

yes

Contact DWP for clarification

even SAR them - its free

totally ignore the powerless DCA

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...