Replacement for faulty graphics card

sdmilne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3408 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'll be blunt here. You're making something out of nothing and we're going round in circles.

You cannot force them to switch you to a 970 for free, nor can you force them to give it to you for a particular price. What a 'reasonable' cost would be is entirely down to you and what you would be willing to pay for it.

You keep talking about how the upgrade you want would 'cost less', but as we keep pointing out this simply isn't the case.

The most likely scenario is that they have some 780 cards sitting in a store room specifically for replacements which are not for sale. In essence, the 780 will cost them nothing. A 970 on the other hand is a current generation graphics card that they still sell, so simply giving you one would deny them a sale of that card.

I'll be blunt here. You're making something out of nothing and we're going round in circles.

You cannot force them to switch you to a 970 for free, nor can you force them to give it to you for a particular price. What a 'reasonable' cost would be is entirely down to you and what you would be willing to pay for it.

You keep talking about how the upgrade you want would 'cost less', but as we keep pointing out this simply isn't the case.

The most likely scenario is that they have some 780 cards sitting in a store room specifically for replacements which are not for sale. In essence, the 780 will cost them nothing. A 970 on the other hand is a current generation graphics card that they still sell, so simply giving you one would deny them a sale of that card.

I get what you are saying but look again at what they have said - "Whether the upgrade price will be put against the price you paid originally or based on the market value now, I am unsure. our head technitian will confirm this in due course,"

Now market value = price, right? So going on that quote, if I ask for a 970 and they stick to what they have said, what can they actually charge me when the 970 has a lower price regardless of the criteria they choose?

They have to give you like for like, a full refund of what you paid originally or a better replacement. They can't force you to buy an upgrade and make you pay the difference otherwise they can all do that to boost sales.

If you want a better card and want to pay the additional amount (other than what you paid originally), then that will complicate things. Go with a replacement or refund if they offer it to you.

They have to give you like for like, a full refund of what you paid originally or a better replacement. They can't force you to buy an upgrade and make you pay the difference otherwise they can all do that to boost sales.

If you want a better card and want to pay the additional amount (other than what you paid originally), then that will complicate things. Go with a replacement or refund if they offer it to you.

This is where it becomes a grey area, the card I've asked for IS better but has a lower price. Had it been more expensive it would be more simple. Some has told me that I can't get a refund of the original price as it is now a used item. Is this the case?

Yes, but they may have original cards sat on the shelf so its cheaper for one of those to be sent, or for another old card of the same or better quality lying around. They are NOT going to spend money if they don't have to. Its a business, not a charity. If you want an upgraded card, buy one. Sell the one they send you.

I know all this, but the point I'm making is this. If the card I have asked for had a clear higher monetary value, would they most likely just offer it in exchange for the difference in cost between the two cards?

If you want a 970 they almost certainly will make you pay some kind of cost for the upgrade as it would deny them a sale. As for how much that is, only they can say. Speculating about it is pretty much pointless.

To be honest, if I were the their technician (And I've been a technician for PC retailers before) I'd be saying that you would need to buy a 970 fully and we would fit it, then send you that and a separate 780 so that SOGA obligations are fulfilled. Otherwise you just get the 780 since that would be zero cost as it's an in-stock warranty item.

But is it technically seen as an upgrade while it has a lower market value? That's what I want to know.

seems so. like for like replacement. if a like is not available, then a current equivalent re the same/similar (not lower) spec. if the one you're after is higher spec, then is not an equivalent even though it may now cost less than your original one. maybe at their discretion/goodwill though to do a higher spec one? or if they dont have an equivalent.

if they offer a refund, and that refund wld now enable the purchase of a higher spec one, then take a refund.

IMO

:-):rant:

seems so. like for like replacement. if a like is not available, then a current equivalent re the same spec. if the one you're after is higher spec, then is not an equivalent even though it may now cost less than your original one. maybe at their discretion/goodwill though to do a higher spec one?

if they offer a refund, and that refund wld now enable the purchase of a higher spec one, then take a refund.

In the event of a refund, would that be for the actual amount the card cost in July?

Interestingly, when I asked about the (less expensive) 970 as the replacement last week, they told me that they'd need to wait till they had examined my returned card before they could discuss it. Yesterday, before sending the 780 back, I emailed to enquire about what the upgrade cost would be for the much more expensive 980 card. I also wanted to check if the 780 needed to be sent back in an anti static bag or if bubblewrap would do.

I got the fastest email reply ever from them - a forward to the guy's colleague getting him to find out what they'd want to charge for a 980. The question about how to package the 780 for return was blanked as well. Nice....

Because common sense would dictate you send it in an anti static bag. You cant send an electrical circuitry item in bubble wrap or other non static free wrap.

If you don't send it in static free bag, don't be surprised if they refuse to replace.

Also, be wary of taking it out yourself, as they may ask for proof thats it was removed in an anti static environment.

Do they want the whole system with anti tamper tags in place or just the card sent back?

Sorry, but common sense or not, the question should not have been ignored in place of replying to an opportunity to make money faster than any reply they have ever given before. That does not give out a good impression. And to you it is common sense but only because you KNOW it is necessary. They should not be assuming that everyone knows this. That's just poor form to ignore my question. In general I have been unimpressed with their responses to things. No matter how much you ask them, or how long an email you send, you never get more than a one line response.

You say "If you don't send it in static free bag, don't be surprised if they refuse to replace. " In that case it makes the ignore of the question even worse.

They asked me to remove it myself with a very basic link about how to do it. No mention of anti static environments.