style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3414 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Totally let down by whirlpool... their product quality had fallen beyond expected standard.

Bought a microwave from ao.com on 15/10/2013.

After 2 days it arrived... and FAIL... won't turn on. (no power, fuse ok)

After that got a replacement which on 3/12/2014 stopped heating food (probably faulty magnetron... looked up and the part alone is around £100).

Now it won't even switch on.

I hope that you agree that £245 appliance should last more than a year... so I mentioned them SOGA.

also offered to do an independent examination/repair if they agree to reimburse the cost of it (this one they just ignored)

this is what I got on 16th dec:

I'm writing to confirm our Manufacturer Liaison Team have contacted Whirlpool and they are unable to offer a free of charge repair as the microwave is now out of it's warranty. They can offer you an additional warranty, there are two options for this, you can pay £14.99 for 12 months and this will cover you for any repairs during this time. Alternatively, you can pay a one off charge of £135.00 and the engineer will come out and repair the appliance for you.

for that money I can buy new same size panasonic microwave... :!:

feels like a ripoff

so I refused that ''generous offer''...

next day got this email:

I am sorry that you were unhappy with my response.

I can understand your disappointment at losing the use of a microwave that is just two months outside of the warranty.

We have spoken with Whirlpool again but unfortunately, they are still unwilling to provide a repair free of charge.

We are also fully aware of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and how that applies to this situation. The Sale of Goods Act is designed to protect the retailer as much as it is designed to protect the consumer.

However, on this occasion, as a goodwill gesture, we are willing to contribute towards 50% of the call out charge. If you’re happy to go ahead with this, we will contact Whirlpool and arrange for an engineer to repair the appliance. They will charge you for the callout and the repair, at which point you can send us a copy of the invoice. At this stage, we will refund you for half of the callout cost.

Please let me know if you are happy to go down this route so that I can get things started with Whirlpool.

to sum up: 50% call out charge... still leaves me to pay for labor and parts

back to square one?

how to proceed?

been busy at work so it took a while to get back to this issue :(

You'll need to get the independent report/examination done at your own expense for now in order to make a claim under the SOGA. Once you have this though, and it confirms that the failure is down to a manufacturing fault, the retailer must reimburse the cost. You can't make them foot the bill for it up front though.

Get a report done, send the retailer a copy of it explaining that under the SOGA they are now responsible for repair/replace/refund of the item. If they refuse, send them a LBA giving them 14 days to fulfill their obligations before you issue a Small Claims court claim. If they refuse, or don't respond, go ahead and log the claim.