Cancelling my DW membership but found out it hasn't been

acapp15
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3445 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

First post on here as reading through some articles and you have been able to advise people

I have recently moved away from my local DW gym and

the week before I moved I went over to cancel the membership

I filled in the cancellation forms and they said they will be in contact to confirm it has been cancelled.

I asked if I would get charged for December and they said no. Unfortunately I didn't get this in writing.

I didn't think anything of it and to be honest forgot about it as I was moving into my new flat.

When I was going through my bank account I see I have been charged by DW for £38(Last Night)

Called up on my lunch break today and

they said that they have not got anything from the branch saying I want to cancel.

I called up the branch spoke to the Admin manager which I didn't do the cancellation form with

just someone on the front desk I gave it too and

she is saying that she wasn't given anything

she asked if I had a receipt and

I said no I was never given one so

I now have to do a 3 hour round trip to go and fill in these forms to cancel again.

I asked about the charge in December and she said that this wouldn't be refunded

and explained about the 30 day notice I said that's fine as it would of been charged no matter what

but I also now have to pay in January as well I asked why when my initial cancellation was in November

she just said you had too and that was how it was left.

My partner has told me to just cancel the direct debit but I am not sure if this will resolve it or not

Cancel the dd and invoke the dd guarantee. then complain

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

You don't need to go there. Just send them a letter. Make sure that the letter says that you are confirming your cancellation of XXXdateXXX which they appear to have lost.

Tell them that you don't intend to pay any charges to them

By the way if they say that cancellations must be done on a certain form - it is a con

I would but I want this sorted now and even if I send it recorded post I am not sure they will acknowledge it as a friend tried to cancel by sending a letter and they supposedly never received the letter and when he sent them an email of a screenshot from the Post office tracker saying that it had been delivered they then said it must of been "lost" and he had to go into the gym and cancel it face to face they wouldn't accept his confirmation over the phone and they wouldn't let him go to the local one as he was at Uni

He's at Newcastle Uni and the gym we went too is in Dunstable

If you think that you're going to sorted out by going there – then you've got another think coming.

The only way to "sort it out" now is to pay them their money and to give in to them.

If you read through the gym forums here you will soon understand what a common problem this is and how these gyms rely on cancellation money – or refusal to cancel as a substantial part of their income and how they have a well organised system of debt collecting which includes putting out to some kind of debt collector – but very rarely ever bringing any kind of court action and also very rarely – if ever – logging any entry on a credit file.

By all means make the three-hour trek to the gym if you want – but it won't get you anywhere. Send in the letter I have suggested recorded delivery. Send it also by email. They won't acknowledge. They never do. Just keep on chasing until either you get fed up or they do – whichever comes earlier.

It's not a 3 hour drive there, its a hour and half there and then a hour half back

I won't pay them anything when I turn up and cancel and they can send as many letters and call as much as they want I will just ignore them, I'll read the letters just to see what they say

Good luck - but it won't make any difference.

as BF has indicated

you need to READ the threads in this forum.

going there will be a waste of your time

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Acapp and welcome to CAG

As already stated above, don't worry about DWF saying they haven't rec'd your cancellation letter. Gyms and their admin companies have a reputation for "losing" such letters.

When you cancel due to moving, etc the gym should be given a month's notice so the December payment may, in fact be due.

1. What day is your gym DD taken normally each month.

2. When approx did you visit the gym to confirm you were cancelling.

Don't waste any petrol driving back to the gym as this will make NO difference in the matter. Follow the advice given here and we'll help you sort this out.

Do NOT speak to the gym or their Admin Co or DCA. If they call you, tell them to put anything they have to say in writing, Then HANG UP.

You have nothing to fear from the gym, their admin Co or any DCA.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Also please bear in mind that you have handed over personal data (cancellation form) in person to your local branch who now say they have NO cancellation form, so what have they done with your personal data and you really want to go there again and hand the local branch this again.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group