What is the Law (not guidelines) on Vet Referrals?

Clear33
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3449 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am looking for clarification on Law regarding Vet referrals.

As I am sure a lot of us have learned over the years, Vets can be rip off merchants, incompetent, abusive, use rough handling of our furry family members etc.

These days, I find I no longer have a main Vet but try to use the best of each Vets speciality. For example I follow the nutrition advice of one Vet. If I needed neutering surgery I would go to another, in an emergency I woukd be forced to another and so on.

Sometimes though, for diplomacy, I think its better to just go to a new Vet with a fresh start. If for example I disagreed with one Vets diagnoses and/or trt plan - rather than offend his ego, I would prefer to simply find a new Vet. Also this helps me know that the new Vet is not swayed by any other medical misdiagnoses of other Vet.

I believe the professional etiquette is to get a referral for a second opinion and have the Vets communicate with one another, but I dont believe this is la

A new Vet surely cannot force me to disclose past Vets, if I dont think its in my animals best medical interests?

I am looking for clarification on Law regarding Vet referrals.

As I am sure a lot of us have learned over the years, Vets can be rip off merchants, incompetent, abusive, use rough handling of our furry family members etc.

These days, I find I no longer have a main Vet but try to use the best of each Vets speciality. For example I follow the nutrition advice of one Vet. If I needed neutering surgery I would go to another, in an emergency I woukd be forced to another and so on.

Sometimes though, for diplomacy, I think its better to just go to a new Vet with a fresh start. If for example I disagreed with one Vets diagnoses and/or trt plan - rather than offend his ego, I would prefer to simply find a new Vet. Also this helps me know that the new Vet is not swayed by any other medical misdiagnoses of other Vet.

I believe the professional etiquette is to get a referral for a second opinion and have the Vets communicate with one another, but I dont believe this is la

A new Vet surely cannot force me to disclose past Vets, if I dont think its in my animals best medical interests?

I don't think they can FORCE you to reveal the previous vet's details.

Just don't expect them to treat your animal if they feel that they can't provide safe care without those details (excepting emergencies).

Word may also "get around" vets in your area.

This is a request for Law, only.

It is my responsibility to keep a copy of my furry friend medical records. Unfortunately, because she is a rescue and has had three families prior to me, I have no knowledge. Moving areas, vets closing down, vets losing data and records, vets recording wrong data, vets making unscientific assumptions all mean that the best person a Vet can work with is the client.

Obviously prior X-rays, blood tests, scans can be valusble and under no circumstances should be repeated unecessarily!

I find it ill mannered however that I am not asked directly for permission to view previous consultations, or approval. It acally makes no logical sense either to simply hand over the name of the last Vet visited.

Word certainly does get round about the bad Vets, yes. Unfortunately it is still trial and error finding a good one who can be trusted. And there again, knowledge is rarely up to date in all specialities.

Thank you.

This is a request for Law, only.

It is my responsibility to keep a copy of my furry friend medical records. Unfortunately, because she is a rescue and has had three families prior to me, I have no knowledge. Moving areas, vets closing down, vets losing data and records, vets recording wrong data, vets making unscientific assumptions all mean that the best person a Vet can work with is the client.

Obviously prior X-rays, blood tests, scans can be valusble and under no circumstances should be repeated unecessarily!

I find it ill mannered however that I am not asked directly for permission to view previous consultations, or approval. It acally makes no logical sense either to simply hand over the name of the last Vet visited.

Word certainly does get round about the bad Vets, yes. Unfortunately it is still trial and error finding a good one who can be trusted. And there again, knowledge is rarely up to date in all specialities.

Thank you.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want the vet to have all of your pet's medical history when, assuming you aren't a qualified vet yourself, you can't know what might or might not be relevant. Of course they would need your input too.

Is there a reason for your question? Has a vet told you it is the law? If so you can always ask the vet for the specific legislation that states you have to provide the info.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Yes. This is a good point and I hadn't considered it. If going for a second opinion and not wanting your last Vet to be upperty, as some things they are good at and you want to get the best, the new Vet may get upperty if you withold the name.

Another reason to do this would to be able to speak freely and frankly to the new Vet about the error whilst protecting other Vets reputation.

God forbid we get stuck with the equivalent of a G.P. Vet.

forced to suffer incompetence.