Hob with knobs that melt

Deborah M
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3342 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a Hoover 4 burner hob from Curry's this year, but if you use the rings on the right hand side the knobs are so close that the paint covering the knobs melts off. It is still in manufacturers 12 month guarantee but Curry's say it is a usage issue and won't do anything. At the beginning of my email trail with them they were happy to replace the knobs but have completely backtracked. Is there an ombudsman who deals with Curry's?

The only way to deal with this is to bring a small claim.

On the basis of what you say, the hob is not fit for its purpose. This means that it is in breach of the implied term contained in section 14 Sale of Goods Act.

We are hearing worse and worse things about Curry's standard of service and it wouldn't surprise me if they followed Comet into administration one day.

Take pictures of the melted knobs and make sure you keep them as evidence.

Send Currys a letter and copies of the pictures and tell them that if they won't replace the hob with something completely different within 14 days that you will sue them in the Small Claims Court.

Don't make this threat unless you mean to carry it through. Bluffing doesn't work. Once Currys get the papers from the court, you will find that they will leap into action. I can't seriously imagine that they want to be embarrassed with this kind of stuff.

If you decide to take this route then after you've written the letter and sent it, start reading up on this forum about how to bring a small claims action in the County Court. It is very easy and on the basis of the story that you give – completely risk-free. Your chances of success are better than 95%.

In your letter to Currys make it clear to them that you are terminating the contract. You're not interested in inspections or repairs or anything else which will delay the replacement of the cooker with another one of about the same value and equivalent quality.

Hi Deborah M

Welcome to CAG

Sale of Goods Act 1979 applies:-

How did you pay for it?

I bought it online and paid by Visa Debit for the hob itself.

I have quoted the sale of goods act but they say it the way I am using it, and that there is nothing wrong with it.

Thanks for this. I did wonder if I was knocking my head against a brick wall with them as I have been emailing back and forth for 5 months (about 25 emails), so they are definitely hoping I will give up. I will think carefully about doing this. Is there no ombudsman for retail complaints such as this?

Many thanks,

Deborah.

Visa Debit won't help. Have you googled the model number to see if it's an inherent fault with the model, then post your research on this thread.

No ombudsman that I'm aware of, if there was one, they would probably be useless.

Thanks for this. I did wonder if I was knocking my head against a brick wall with them as I have been emailing back and forth for 5 months (about 25 emails), so they are definitely hoping I will give up. I will think carefully about doing this. Is there no ombudsman for retail complaints such as this?

Many thanks,

Deborah.

• 1 month later...

I have submitted the claim online in MoneyClaim online.

Curry's have filed an acknowledgement of service.

Their legal services team have written to me asking for information.

1) they want a breakdown of my claim amount.

2) they want a copy of the email in which they previously offered to exchange the hob (before they u-turned.)

3) any information or documents to support my claim.

Half of me is not inclined to help them with this as they could easily look up all these details themselves using my name and address. And surely the breakdown of my claim amount is for the judge to approve or not. I feel they are now willing to give it proper investigation, whereas that's what they should have been doing the last 8 months.

In your opinion, should I be helping them at this stage?

Any advice gratefully received!

The only way to deal with this is to bring a small claim.

On the basis of what you say, the hob is not fit for its purpose. This means that it is in breach of the implied term contained in section 14 Sale of Goods Act.

We are hearing worse and worse things about Curry's standard of service and it wouldn't surprise me if they followed Comet into administration one day.

Take pictures of the melted knobs and make sure you keep them as evidence.

Send Currys a letter and copies of the pictures and tell them that if they won't replace the hob with something completely different within 14 days that you will sue them in the Small Claims Court.

Don't make this threat unless you mean to carry it through. Bluffing doesn't work. Once Currys get the papers from the court, you will find that they will leap into action. I can't seriously imagine that they want to be embarrassed with this kind of stuff.

If you decide to take this route then after you've written the letter and sent it, start reading up on this forum about how to bring a small claims action in the County Court. It is very easy and on the basis of the story that you give – completely risk-free. Your chances of success are better than 95%.

In your letter to Currys make it clear to them that you are terminating the contract. You're not interested in inspections or repairs or anything else which will delay the replacement of the cooker with another one of about the same value and equivalent quality.

Our NEFF is exactly the same.

Do you still have the paperwork that came with it?

It might be called User Instructions or the like. If so have a read and see if it says not to use over a certain size pan on those rings. If not, then it is a manufacturers design fault and the responsibility of Currys to refund.

Even if it does say don't use a pan bigger than 3" or something silly, the pan can be moved around on the ring and if it is, (as in our case) moved to the right and the gas is on full, the knobs get the heat.

Replacing the knobs won't make any difference, the new set will be subject to the same problem.

Edited to add: I hope you included the warranty cost in your claim.

• 2 months later...

An update on the melting knobs. I said 'yes' to mediation, as did DSG retail. We settled on £135 and a bag of 15 knobs so that they can be replaced as and when. I had orginally asked Curry's for some replacement knobs over a year ago, and they said no and proceeded to spend the next 14 months dodging the truth.. I could have hung out for more money but I wanted to get it over with after spending 14 months on it. Obviously, will never buy from DSG retail again.

I would advise everyone to take them to small claims, it is easy and fair. The new mediation service is very good.

I have submitted the claim online in MoneyClaim online.

Curry's have filed an acknowledgement of service.

Their legal services team have written to me asking for information.

1) they want a breakdown of my claim amount.

2) they want a copy of the email in which they previously offered to exchange the hob (before they u-turned.)

3) any information or documents to support my claim.

Half of me is not inclined to help them with this as they could easily look up all these details themselves using my name and address. And surely the breakdown of my claim amount is for the judge to approve or not. I feel they are now willing to give it proper investigation, whereas that's what they should have been doing the last 8 months.

In your opinion, should I be helping them at this stage?

Any advice gratefully received!

I haven't received the knobs yet as they have until 30th April to deliver them. If they are not right, I have until 31st July to take them back to court. Which I will do if they send the wrong knobs. Maybe don't mark my thread as satisfied yet, I will confirm that all is ok when the knobs come!!