Speeding Ticket when foreigner driving car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3488 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

what is the position if the foreign driver was insured on his own insurance to drive any car.

Obviously I wouldn't have access to his insurance info,

so wouldn't be able to give it to the authorities.

Would that still make me liable for allowing someone to drive my car without insurance

(even though, to the best of my knowledge, they were insured)?

Either they were insured to drive or they were not, and proof that they were would need to be produced if requested.

The offence of permitting someone to drive without insurance is similar, even if it was 'to the best of my knowledge', you could still commit the offence - s.143(b), Road Traffic Act 1988.

If you're using a foreign driver as an excuse to get off a speeding ticket

I strongly recommend you don't,

the authorities normally go out of their way to investigate such cases.

If you're caught out doing this (They will go to great lengths to prove it)

you will be charged with perverting the course of justice and

the courts normally impose a prison sentence in these circumstances to deter others and to punish the disrespect of the law

With regard to Insurance,

if you give permission to drive your vehicle

subject to them having insurance in place

you may have a defence

although the defence may not be accepted at a magistrates court

so may need appealing.

It's unlikely that a foreign resident would have insurance which allowed him to drive any car in the UK. Certainly if you read the small print of most British insurance policies you'll find that the driving other cars extension only applies within the United Kingdom. In any event, if you were charged with causing or permitting driving without insurance, the onus would be on you to prove that insurance was in place. You mightnot have direct access to his insurance details but you could always ask him for them. Obviously if you Kent your car to him, it's someone reasonably close to you. I mean, a car is the second most valuable piece of property that most people own. Nobody really lends their car to the sort of anonymous foreigner who appers out of nowhere, collects a speeding ticket and disappears into the night - do they?