DVLA using flawed criteria

Raybo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3130 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had my Group 2 driving licence revoked by DVLA as I am type 2 diabetic now using insulin. As I was required to do I informed DVLA and they suspended my licence immediately and then took 6 months to revoke it.

I am hyperglycaemic (and have high blood sugar) rather than hypoglycaemic and all the data and criteria for revoking a Group 2 licence only relates to hypoglycaemia. The reason they gave was that I did not have 3 complete months readings on my blood sugar meter which is completely untrue. I contested the decision in August and it has taken 3 months, countless e-mails to DVLA and direct contact with Oliver Morley the CEO of DVLA, and my MP, to move the paperwork from someone's desk. They now say they want further information from my GP and have written to him and I must await another decision....why? they should be dealing with this based on the fact I am contesting their original decision.

No-one in DVLA can tell me why they use the same criteria for hyper and hypo glycaemics even though they are two opposite ends of the spectrum.

I only have until 6 December to lodge an appeal in the Magistrates' Court against this decision and I feel they are dragging things out to make sure I run out of time. Can I lodge an appeal before they get back to me?

Appreciate any advice.

I might be wrong but type 2 does not take insulin but metformin tablets. Are you sure you are not now classed as type 1 ?

Also, instead of an email which they can deny receipt of, send them a letter by special delivery.

No, you don't become type 1 just because you start taking insulin. Type 2 diabetes typically is an onset of the condition later in life, rather than something you are born with, and whilst originally dealt with by tablets/diet most move on to insulin at some point. Type 2 is always type 2.

They have always acknowledged receipt of the e-mails, usually by a reply saying it is being dealt with.

I just need to know if I can lodge an appeal to make sure I am in the 6 months time limit if DVLA have not given me a final decision.

I'm type T2 and take a hefty dose of insulin twice a day. Started with diet, then onto Metformin but didn't agree with me. Tried other meds without success. Were you offered the non-insulin injection at any stage? After having gone on insulin wrote to them and filled the correct forms in, surrendered my licence and issued with a 3 yearly one now. Not had an issue over it but I did let my PSV/LCv lapse. In your case you are going to have to keep chasing to get a resolution.

Have a read @ http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/ & in particular they have a DVLA section @ http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/driving-and-dvla.48/ you should get some good responses.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for this info....will take a look.

I'm sure that DVLA just try to be as obstructive as possible in the hope that people just give up and go away.....but no chance

Depends which hat they on or which side of the bed they get out of. After all the chances are it is just on office wallah who doesn't have a clue about the illnesses/symptoms/treatments they are looking at. My consultant was one of those who produced the info they are guided by, if you are attending the Diabetes Clinic - usually a walk in - then ask your Diabetes Nurse to have the Consultant look at it.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 11 months later...

Lodge an appeal! It costs £215 you then can withdraw it at any time before it comes to court if you want to. It gives you time!

I have had my Group 2 driving licence revoked by DVLA as I am type 2 diabetic now using insulin. As I was required to do I informed DVLA and they suspended my licence immediately and then took 6 months to revoke it.

I am hyperglycaemic (and have high blood sugar) rather than hypoglycaemic and all the data and criteria for revoking a Group 2 licence only relates to hypoglycaemia. The reason they gave was that I did not have 3 complete months readings on my blood sugar meter which is completely untrue. I contested the decision in August and it has taken 3 months, countless e-mails to DVLA and direct contact with Oliver Morley the CEO of DVLA, and my MP, to move the paperwork from someone's desk. They now say they want further information from my GP and have written to him and I must await another decision....why? they should be dealing with this based on the fact I am contesting their original decision.

No-one in DVLA can tell me why they use the same criteria for hyper and hypo glycaemics even though they are two opposite ends of the spectrum.

I only have until 6 December to lodge an appeal in the Magistrates' Court against this decision and I feel they are dragging things out to make sure I run out of time. Can I lodge an appeal before they get back to me?

Appreciate any advice.

I'll put my money on it being the way you wrote to them, I bet you used joined up writing didn't you, that will be why they don't understand, I don't think the DVLA has reached that stage yet.

Lodge an appeal! It costs £215 you then can withdraw it at any time before it comes to court if you want to. It gives you time!

OP had until December 2014 to lodge their appeal, so your comments are "a bit late to the party"........