Grace & anr -v- Black Horse ltd - major headache for CRAs???????

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3248 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I see you are having another good go at me "OLD SPARKIE" so I will stay away as I did when I was attacking SwiftAdvances plc.

I leave you with is link.

http://consumercreditlitigationandde...-for-the-case/

CatchTh Monkey aka Sparkie

1: So you are admitting to using a clone to get round the moderation ?

2: I was not specifically "getting at you".. but if the cap fits ?

I asked very nicely for people to be civil - please remember it has been your choice to ignore that request.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Sparkie.

No I do not think i know more than your legal team, I am sure if you were to ask Paul or Tom they would agree with most of what I have said here, if not they would be able to provide a convincing and coherent argument why they do not, which is the point of a discussion.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Brigadier, if you dissagree with any of my comments please state why and how you arrive at your conclusions based on the case in question, I promise I will listen and may even change my view if you have a point which I have not thought of, but please desist form making remarks that do not add any sensible contributions to the discusion

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Just to be clear, even the legal team invovled in this case are not claiming that it overturned McGufic, this was about irredemable unenforceability McGuffic was about seection 78 compliance.

So what does this ruling mean as far as we are concerned on here.

Well as I see it, if you have an agreement which has been declared irredeemably unenforceable under section 127 and this status is accepted by all parties, then there should be no default marker on your credit file, if there is, or has been since the agremnt was agreed to be unenforceable, then there may be cause for a complaint under section 13 of the DPA.

So what does this ruling mean as far as we are concerned on here.

Well as I see it, if you have an agreement which has been declared irredeemably unenforceable under section 127 and this status is accepted by all parties, then there should be no default marker on your credit file, if there is, or has been since the agremnt was agreed to be unenforceable, then there may be cause for a complaint under section 13 of the DPA.

I read the judgement and while I don't know enough to make legal comment, that part of the judgement did jump out at me.

I would imagine though that some companies will demand that the CRAs change their systems to show where a default has been placed, it is due to the agreement being irredeemably unenforceable. If the CRAs cannot accommodate this then no default should be placed.

An important case I would feel for the future.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I read the judgement and while I don't know enough to make legal comment, that part of the judgement did jump out at me.

I would imagine though that some companies will demand that the CRAs change their systems to show where a default has been placed, it is due to the agreement being irredeemably unenforceable. If the CRAs cannot accommodate this then no default should be placed.

An important case I would feel for the future.

Yes indeed but within the relatively small confines of theses conditions, and as you say until the CRA get there ct together and invent some way of recording the fact that the agreement is unenforceable.

If there should be another ease which extends this to the temporary unenforceable state of an agreement which has gone past the 12 days in regards of copy requirements, that would be interesting. As they would have to either remove or modify their entry to the file if they were not able to comply within the time frame with the request.

Also there is the question of damages claims under the DPA for an incorrectly paced default in this context.

I presume that people would claim, consequential losses associated with loss of credit facility due to the wrongly placed marker.

The question is would the damage claim be based on the fact that there should have been no marker there, or that there should have been a modified marker, if the latter I can see no damages being awarded, as prospective lenders would I imagine be just as put off lending to a defaulter even if he had am unenforceable agreement.

If there should be another ease which extends this to the temporary unenforceable state of an agreement which has gone past the 12 days in regards of copy requirements, that would be interesting. As they would have to either remove or modify their entry to the file if they were not able to comply within the time frame with the request.

have to agree that would be exceptionally interesting and useful, as in many cases it takes months to produce the requested documents

and would certainly concentrate debt purchasers minds

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

Would this apply to the defaults PDL companies place on peoples accounts?

If the agreement was either accepted as being unenforceable or the court had decided it was, then yes.

What if your credit rating was damaged for defaulting on a catalogue debt where there was never a signed agreement?

PW

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

What if your credit rating was damaged for defaulting on a catalogue debt where there was never a signed agreement?

PW

Or one of the store cards that were upgraded to credit card.. again, without there never having been a signed agreement !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Or one of the store cards that were upgraded to credit card.. again, without there never having been a signed agreement !

Indeed, there being no executed agreement at inception of upgrade removes creditor rights, think this is the start of incipient phase and will no doubt get the interest of lawyers to pursue further.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

Yes I think so. The cause of action is only half the problem though, once the incorrect default is proven there is the matter of damages under section 13 of the DPA.

In Orfoster which was primarily a bank charges case, when looking at an award for a misplaced marker the judge refused to consider Durkin or general losses, but he did site the Google case and give an award of a grand, however this is under appeal I believe and many authorities think that this award would not be repeated. So we would be looking at provable losses due to a default marker. Not impossible but difficult to evidence.

could surely get even more interesting..

a 'marker' within the monthly status [1,2,3 etc] does not mean the debt in the summary shows 'default'

a 'default' in the debt summary appears only to happen in two instances:

1. when the monthly marker reaches the 6th month.

then, and again it appears, its the CRA 's that then mark it automatically 'default' in the summary status

2. the creditor issues a default notice which usually is accompanied by the advise that a default status will be recorded soon.

I cant see the CRA's being the one that decides upon the unen status either.

its bad enough the crap decisions they already make

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes it could be the tip of an ice-burg, i suppose it depend on how future courts interpret the comments of the judges here.

Certainly I think the advice given on here to people who have an agreement which has been found to be unenforceable should be that they should contract the lender and have them remove any negative information until the CRA can accurately record their status and quote this hearing.

As far as claiming damages is concerned the judge did make a point of the default not being registered until after the judgment, so I would think that the creditor would have at lest been made aware of the fact that the agreement was unenforceable, it is a defense against claims under section 13 that the data controller acted on available information.

Personally i do not think that this will apply to records of missed or lte payments, the judge was clear when he said that people should not be labeled "defaulters"when Parliament says they do not have to pay, unless the facts are recorded along side the notice. The recording of late payments would be accurate I would have though as the underlying contract is still in place, however it is arguable that these to should be accompanied by a notice.

Incidentally this argument is very similar to one raise By Lacors in 2007 and rejected by the OFT.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a really good commentary on this case which can be found here http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=aedf1de1-114d-418d-8646-b25d1340de6d

Worth reading, and for those who think McGuffick is still good law, ponder this, the banking worlds barristers have written a write up on the case accepting that McGuffick has been thrown in the bin. Take a look at Mr Hibberts (Henderson Chambers) commentary on the case.

Happy days.

Oh and the CRA system according to insiders cannot be adapted to satisfy this problem.

Interesting comment since the judge himself said that the decision did not touch on Mcguffic.

McGuffic of course was concerned with unenforceability under section 78 not irredeemable unenforceability, read the judgment, and the precis of the legal team concerned in the case, even the lawyers concerned agree to this.

Interested to know about these insiders though.

There is a really good commentary on this case which can be found here http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=aedf1de1-114d-418d-8646-b25d1340de6d

Worth reading, and for those who think McGuffick is still good law, ponder this, the banking worlds barristers have written a write up on the case accepting that McGuffick has been thrown in the bin. Take a look at Mr Hibberts (Henderson Chambers) commentary on the case.

Happy days.

Oh and the CRA system according to insiders cannot be adapted to satisfy this problem.

I sometimes wonder if people actually read the authority they post on here , this is a clip form the link povided

Conclusion

Individuals are increasingly reliant on a good credit rating to obtain lending at a low rate or even at all. The consequences of a bad credit rating are significant and long lasting. As a result, the scope of claims will be tested and it is possible that the challenges to CRAs’ records and the lenders’ registrations/submissions will increase in the future.

In particular, there are three key points worth highlighting from the above:

A lender should refrain from registration of a default with a CRA where the agreement is irremediably unenforceable as McGuffick does not apply to these cases;

Accuracy is key to any registration with a CRA notwithstanding the constraints of the reporting system; and

There is a significant and wide reaching question still to be determined as to whether a lender is entitled to register a default where an agreement is unenforceable albeit that it may be remediable.

My emphasis

Edited by Dodgeball
poople???

Interesting comment since the judge himself said that the decision did not touch on Mcguffic.

McGuffic of course was concerned with unenforceability under section 78 not irredeemable unenforceability, read the judgment, and the precis of the legal team concerned in the case, even the lawyers concerned agree to this.

Interested to know about these insiders though.

McGuffick was concerning principle 1, and the question of whether recording a Default was enforcement within the meaning given by the 1974 Act.

This case concerned principle 4 of the DPA, the question posed as correctly identified by Briggs LJ was whether it was accurate to describe a debtor as a defaulter where the agreement was unenforceable. The Court noted that such circumstances arose out of a creditors breach of the consumer protection legislation.

I fail to see how people are unable to read this case correctly, and as for the "lawyers concerned agreeing" Do you know Mr Cooper ? Ms Urell or Thomas Brennan? or the team that were behind this matter? because if you did, then id dare say you would have been corrected by now.

I sometimes wonder if poople actually read the authority they post on here , this is a clip form the link povided

Conclusion

Individuals are increasingly reliant on a good credit rating to obtain lending at a low rate or even at all. The consequences of a bad credit rating are significant and long lasting. As a result, the scope of claims will be tested and it is possible that the challenges to CRAs’ records and the lenders’ registrations/submissions will increase in the future.

In particular, there are three key points worth highlighting from the above:

A lender should refrain from registration of a default with a CRA where the agreement is irremediably unenforceable as McGuffick does not apply to these cases;

Accuracy is key to any registration with a CRA notwithstanding the constraints of the reporting system; and

There is a significant and wide reaching question still to be determined as to whether a lender is entitled to register a default where an agreement is unenforceable albeit that it may be remediable.

My emphasis

I do read them yes, and i happen to understand it too, but hey ho thats life i guess.

McGuffick was concerning principle 1, and the question of whether recording a Default was enforcement within the meaning given by the 1974 Act.

This case concerned principle 4 of the DPA, the question posed as correctly identified by Briggs LJ was whether it was accurate to describe a debtor as a defaulter where the agreement was unenforceable. The Court noted that such circumstances arose out of a creditors breach of the consumer protection legislation.

I fail to see how people are unable to read this case correctly, and as for the "lawyers concerned agreeing" Do you know Mr Cooper ? Ms Urell or Thomas Brennan? or the team that were behind this matter? because if you did, then id dare say you would have been corrected by now.

DO you ?

I have read the reports from the above and the judgment , as well as the authority you quote incidentally, and it all agrees with the fact that McGuffic is still good law unfortunately, As said the lawyers involved all agree.

WHy do you not just read your own authority

I do read them yes, and i happen to understand it too, but hey ho thats life i guess.

Yes just in a different way to anyone who knows what they are talking about :)

This case concerned principle 4 of the DPA, the question posed as correctly identified by Briggs LJ was whether it was accurate to describe a debtor as a defaulter where the agreement was unenforceable. The Court noted that such circumstances arose outof a creditors breach of the consumer protection legislation.

tHIS IS incorrect and is the source of your misconception, the judge identified that it was inaccurate to record the debtor as a defaulter on an IRREDEEMABLY unenforceable agreement Edited by citizenB

general info

if not mentioned before, instructing sols for grace post on it is a good read. prob cant link it here, but can be found re a googly. googly 'grace v black horse'

ps, edited

Edited by citizenB

IMO

:-):rant: