style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3478 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi did not know where to post this.

But today as I walking with a cigie in my hand in Swansea I was stopped by the enforcement officer who allegedly saw me littering the ciggie butt

I did not realise I did it apparently I was on camera he asked for my ID I provided and read me my rights etc .

I said sorry to it as the first thing that came to my mind was say sorry and make it go away.

then I was asked to sign the FPN I did not.

I asked for copy of evidence on camera to which he replied im only entitled to one if it goes to court.

What are my options

I just find it a bit heavy handed really so I was inclined to follow it through

I'm not a smoker, but I don't consider cigarette ends as litter, they disappear. If they were litter, the world would be 50 feet deep in ciggy buts by now.

When you get the letter with the claim on, ask then for the evidence and don't pay until you see it.

Edited by Conniff

If I don't pay it could goto court and I would end up paying more? can I not ask for evidence before hand? can I not ask for the evidence in writing?

I pay £50 within 7 days and £75 after 7 but with in 14 days.

the FPN was handed to me on the street by the litter police who recorded me on camera to which I asked if he has recorded me litter the but?

to which he hesitated and said probably

and yes it says city and county of Swansea.

will it not increase the fine if I dispute it?

I'm not as smoker, but I don't consider cigarette ends as litter, they disappear. If they were litter, the world would be 50 feet deep in ciggy buts by now.

I don't think he meant the 'lit ash' end of the cigarette, rather the 'filter' end.

Section 27 of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 makes changes to the Environmental Protection Act 1990:

“Litter” includes—

(a)the discarded ends of cigarettes, cigars and like products, and

(b)discarded chewing-gum and the discarded remains of other products designed for chewing.”

Were you not given the opportunity to pick it up ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

There seems to be some confusion on which part of the cigarette you are alleged to have discarded. Was it from the 'ash' end or was it the whole 'filter' end ?

If the former, you have grounds to appeal the FPN.

If the latter, as my post above states, you are 'bang to rights', if they do indeed have the requisite evidence of the allegted offence.

Were you definitely caught on camera?

If not, i suggest that as it was a rollup, maybe you smoked it till it was very short, then it got very hot like short rollups do and you (as a reflex) had to drop it or you would have burnt your fingers. Then just as you were about to bend down and retrieve it, a jobsworth (in a hi-vis no doubt) jumped out of his hiding place with his notebook in his hand.

Are you sure it didn't happen like that? ;)

in fact i was at the traffic lights waiting to cross the road when the lights went so had to run to cross.

and yes it did happen like that indeed.

well the camera coudnt have caught the drop of a tiny rollup its like his words against mine .

im given 7 days to cough up 50 or 7 to 14 days to caugh up 75 or end up in court

if I appeal will it stop the clock ?

So a tiny rollup but is £50.

I would have thought the "tiny bit of paper and tobacco" are bio degradeable.

Let's say I drove my car off the drive and cleared "tree debris" off my car. ......

Is that "Littering" ????

Both the former and latter are ALL plant material !!!

It is a money raiser for the council nothing more nothing less,on the back of a service they must provide as in clean streets, but littering is a big problem so they go high profile to prevent it;,,and already Urban Myths based on truth and the slavish adherence to the book by some of the Litter Wardens are doing the rounds.

1: The accidentally dropped £5 note, somehow the victim accidentally drops a fiver, Warden picks it up, hands it to victim saying "Hey you dropped this" victim says "thanks, I didn't realise" Warden hands the victim a ticket for littering.

2: Mother pushing baby in buggy, baby throws dummy on the floor, mother stops to pick it up, Warden sees it and hands a ticket over for littering, saying that it is the fact that it was thrown onto the ground that grounds (sic) the offence, picking it up after is immaterial, it is the item landing on the ground that makes the fine applicable. Baby not of Criminal Responsibility? No Problem for Warden, Mother is responsible for baby/toddler, so she gets the fine. Apparrently this one is real

3: Litter wardens following bin and recycling crews around in the hope they drop something emptying the bins and recycling receptacles, allowing them to ticket the operatives just doing their job.

I don't think you have a leg to stand on unfortunately, so it might be better just to pay up on this occasion.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

3: Litter wardens following bin and recycling crews around in the hope they drop something emptying the bins and recycling receptacles, allowing them to ticket the operatives just doing their job.

If our council wardens tried that around here, they'd be likely to find themselves in the back of the truck with the rubbish. Our dustmen (or refuse operatives as we're supposed to call them now) are quite mad. spiteful.gif

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Did the warden pick it up? My betting is that he didn't, so he condoned the act by leaving it there.

Council boss to staff: "Come on you lot, there is a £500 bonus for whoever can think up some money raising ideas, the easiest ones are those that con the public."

Unfortunately I paid up.

I asked for a copy of the evidence recording.

After a few arguments and stating the fact that I've made the payment they agreed for me to come and view it date not decided yet as I will get a phone call after to arrange it.

I had to cross a few hoops at first they will not make an appointment saying the evidence can only be requested to be viewed in court.

Anything I will get out of it what if the video did not show me littering?

They are obliged to hand it over if you send them a SAR and £10. You can ask for just that or if you dont specify what you want they should send you a copy of all of the data they hold on you. Do you want to spend the extra tenner or just go to the council offices and view it for free?

They are obliged to hand it over if you send them a SAR and £10. You can ask for just that or if you dont specify what you want they should send you a copy of all of the data they hold on you. Do you want to spend the extra tenner or just go to the council offices and view it for free?

I will wait for the appointment the council office is really close to my work anyway.

If they fail to book an appointment ill have to SAR them.

The point is if I am at right and the video shows nothing where do I go next.

Am I playing your word against mine game?

Crazy defence but true.

Rubbish day anywhere in the UK goes like this

1. Resident places rubbish correctly on edge of property but inside their boundry

2. Council dust cart operative grabs said bags places them on the road/highway

3. The said operator then walks to next property and does the same right along the road and every road thereafter

4. The operative is Gulity of s87

5. Justice MUST BE EQUAL IN THE EYES OF THE LAW NO EXCEPTION

Strange but true is this

Under HSE rules a worker must place a protective barrier around a work place that involves a hazzardous product i.e.

1. Removal of debris/rubbish from a high street bin

2. The hazzard is the operative throwing a large heavy bag from floor to a hight of about 1.5m swinging it as they do

3. The operative hits a young child with the bag what happens?

4. The said heavy bag falls off of the carrier and collides with a child in a buggy

5. The said vehicle drives along a pedestrian zone without a front walker to warn pedestrians, child topples over in front of vehicle

How daft can this get?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Well put MM, but where I live we must put the bins out onto the pavement for the binmen, they can't come onto our property.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Thx BN crazy or what

All in all the whole bins issue is quite quite mad, look at terraced streets in some cities with 5 or more bins per property with nowhere for the residents to store them to store them. Surely this is a breach of H & S the bins themselves being a hazard and potentially litter of themselves.

Hi all

I think If someone could help me out here.

I am going to SAR the council for the video. Before I do that,

Are they obliged to cough up the video seen that it was a criminal offence.

The fact that I paid for the fine would that not mean that the matter is no longer going to the court hence I have access to it now.

I say this because the council failed to make an appointment to which they promised I'd get a call to arrange the viewing.

I have also made a freedom of information request regarding the section 87 FPN issued by Swansea City Council.

I am going to chase it to the bottom of the hill, its not the £50 I paid its the principle that these councils are using this piece of legislation to line their pockets.