neighbour ran o2 bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3504 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Im in need of some advice.

My neighbour upstairs must have got a contract, i think sim only, but i could be wrong.

They got it, using my flat number, not hers.

I asked her twice, each month a bill came, to change her details with o2, then ive heard nothing since end of August so i assumed she had done.

Today I got a reminder in her name, to my address claiming she owes £104 and they blocked her from making calls and texts.

Ive been in touch with o2, who claim they have emailed her to update her details but im not confident she will do so.

What can I do?

O2 assure me me or my address wont be affected, but if she runs up debt in my address then surely it will be linked to me on my credit file somewhere and im want to buy a house middle of 2015.

Hi,

Don't know why you are opening the letters, It'll only get you worried.

Write 'not known at this address' and stick them back in the Post Box.

If they continue to send information despite your efforts to stop this you can make a written complaint to the sender. Date and keep copies of all letters, as if they do not take action you may have to escalate your complaint further.

Your credit file will only hold financial information about you and the name of anyone you have a financial connection with, such as a joint loan or overdraft. This means that your neighbour's financial history cannot affect your credit file, regardless of whether your address is being incorrectly used.

At least that's the way I see it.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Im in need of some advice.

My neighbour upstairs must have got a contract, i think sim only, but i could be wrong.

They got it, using my flat number, not hers.

I asked her twice, each month a bill came, to change her details with o2, then ive heard nothing since end of August so i assumed she had done.

Today I got a reminder in her name, to my address claiming she owes £104 and they blocked her from making calls and texts.

Ive been in touch with o2, who claim they have emailed her to update her details but im not confident she will do so.

What can I do?

O2 assure me me or my address wont be affected, but if she runs up debt in my address then surely it will be linked to me on my credit file somewhere and im want to buy a house middle of 2015.

Check your credit files for " financial and address" links.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Theres nothing there but im going away on sunday and will deal with looking at cra's when i get back.

Next time If there is a next time, return the bill as " Not Known At This Address."

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Completely agree with the 'not known as this address' approach.

I used to work for a major mobile network (not O2) and the if any mail got returned as 'not known at address' then the account was barred and flagged as potential fraud, with a suppression on any future mail being sent. The only way to clear it was for the account holder to provide recent proof of address (bank statements, fax of passport, etc.). I'd assume O2 have a similar process so definately go down this route. (also, do not open mail addressed to others - it is potentially an offence).

Completely agree with the 'not known as this address' approach.

I used to work for a major mobile network (not O2) and the if any mail got returned as 'not known at address' then the account was barred and flagged as potential fraud, with a suppression on any future mail being sent. The only way to clear it was for the account holder to provide recent proof of address (bank statements, fax of passport, etc.). I'd assume O2 have a similar process so definately go down this route. (also, do not open mail addressed to others - it is potentially an offence).

You can legally open any item of mail/postage delivered to your address if it is indeed delivered to your address correctly albeit for another person. The only time you will fall foul is if you are caught with a criminal intent/fraud/interception etc.

Postal Services Act 2000

“A person commits an offence if intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.”

Postal Services Act 2000

“A person commits an offence if intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.”

Is it to the others detriment to open the packet if in doing so may prevent the other from continuing a fraud (if the OP has taken steps to discuss it with the named person, and the address 'error' appears deliberate by them)?

does the belief that there may be a fraud constitute reasonable excuse?

has it been "incorrectly delivered" if it was addressed to that address by choice of the account holder?.

Any or all could constitute a defence.

The name constitutes part of the address.

The detriment could be the other person claiming they knew nothing about any payments owed as they never got the letters.

1) Any could be a defence, so no need to rely on all parts - what of reasonable excuse?

2) since common usage is "name & address" it would be possible to claim "name is distinct from address".