Southwest trains travel beyond ticket validity

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3500 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I have my monthly season ticket from norwood junction to fleet NOT via london.

other week i heard someone saying on train that one of the barriers at london waterloo accepts tickets not via london.

I used them and i was observed by a RPA of southwest trains walking all through platform 1 till plat form 19 and using barriers there.

He confronted me and gave me a receipt which says i will be hearing form SOUTH WEST TRAINS .

I have never come across any situation like this before and i literally stood shaking when he was asking me questions

I ended up signing the receipt which explains that i walked all the way form platform 1 to platform 19 to use my ticket which is not via london.Receipt also says i tried to skip payment of 1.60 pounds.

i was so tensed and i was shaking when he was confrnting,when he asked me to fill in details,i did by mistake enter wrong DOB.I am even worried about that.

I was told i will be receiving letter from SW trains within 3 weeks.

I am so getting worried and tensed , seeing all these posts.

Please someone explain to me about the process.

My application for passport is under consideration :(

I dont want get into criminal records.I know i did a mistake stupidly.

IS there any way to avoid it to settle out of the court?etc?

I am so embarrassed about myself & deeply feeling guilty about what i did for sake of just 1.60 pounds .

ONE IMPORTANT THING is why should any barriers accept tickets which are not via london?ITS FAULT in the system.

should i meet any solicitor regarding this or should i wait for letter from SW.

how much time it will take them to write to me?

:(

Please some one HELP...

I am SCARED.... :(

I AM REALLY SORRY for wat i DID....

i dont knw what to do now :(

i would await the letter then comeback hear

not the worlds worst offence.

and if this was the only time you should be ok

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank u for replying dx100uk

any idea how many days it will take for them to send a letter?

Hello there.

In your first post, you said the inspector told you within 3 weeks. It's impossible for us to guess how long unfortunately, although depending on the rail company the letter can take 6-8 weeks.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi me_78

As the guys have said, try not to worry, wait for the letter, they will want to find out from you what happened, but you can't write back until you have a reference number, which will be on the letter you receive from the train company. Once you receive the letter update this thread. We have industry experts on this site.

Could I just add, if you have gone to Waterloo than that breaks the not Via London part. Clapham Junction is considered outside of London and travel would permitted to that point.

I know because I have previously asked this question in the past to both Govia and Stagecoach who operate SWT.

Just wait and see what happens.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

BUT GUYS MY TICKET WAS ACCEPTED BY BARRIERS AT PLATFORM 19

I KNOW IT WAS MY MISTAKE

BUT JUST WANT TO PUT IT THAT EVEN SYSTEM HAD ERRORS,ELSE IT WLDNT HAVE ALLOWED ME :(

I KNOW ITS MY MISTAKE .

Thanks guys for replying back.

Now I dont have much of a choice,Will wait for the letter

BUT GUYS MY TICKET WAS ACCEPTED BY BARRIERS AT PLATFORM 19

I KNOW IT WAS MY MISTAKE

BUT JUST WANT TO PUT IT THAT EVEN SYSTEM HAD ERRORS,ELSE IT WLDNT HAVE ALLOWED ME :(

I KNOW ITS MY MISTAKE .

Thanks guys for replying back.

Now I dont have much of a choice,Will wait for the letter

You purchased a "not via London" ticket.

You heard of an error in the system that you thought you could exploit.

You got caught exploiting that error.

Claiming "but the barrier allowed me to do it" just won't wash as an excuse ..... Your responsibility was to not be at Waterloo ("not via London"), so you should never have been at that barrier.

Additionally, the fact that you walked from platform 1 to platform 19 to choose that particular barrier could be used as evidence that you knew that barrier had that error, and intended to avoid your fare (why else walk past so many other exits?).

Don't focus (here or when writing to SWT) on the issue of the barrier : it will do you no good.

You purchased a "not via London" ticket.

You heard of an error in the system that you thought you could exploit.

You got caught exploiting that error.

Claiming "but the barrier allowed me to do it" just won't wash as an excuse ..... Your responsibility was to not be at Waterloo ("not via London"), so you should never have been at that barrier.

Additionally, the fact that you walked from platform 1 to platform 19 to choose that particular barrier could be used as evidence that you knew that barrier had that error, and intended to avoid your fare (why else walk past so many other exits?).

Don't focus (here or when writing to SWT) on the issue of the barrier : it will do you no good.

"BazzaS :

Thanks for your reply

so what should I mention if they ask me why did u walk all the way till platform 1 :(

Is it gonna be legal issue?

I am so scared.

"BazzaS :

Thanks for your reply

so what should I mention if they ask me why did u walk all the way from platform 1 till platform 19 ?

I am so scared.

what will be the repercussions?

Please anyone give me the idea...what will be the process like?

If i get letter,What would they ask me to do etc?

Please give me a slight idea about the PROCESS.

I am unaware....

"BazzaS :

Thanks for your reply

so what should I mention if they ask me why did u walk all the way from platform 1 till platform 19 ?

I am so scared.

what will be the repercussions?

Please anyone give me the idea...what will be the process like?

If i get letter,What would they ask me to do etc?

Please give me a slight idea about the PROCESS.

I am unaware....

Many other threads will give you an idea of the process, and an idea of what (& what not!) to say in your reply.

There is no "magic bullet" letter, only common themes to include, and appearing contrite while making sure it is "your words" and not just "cut & paste" off the Internet!

I can't tell you what to say to explain why you walked to that barrier.

You can tell the truth if asked, or you can lie. The problem with lying is that unless it is a convincing lie, it will just make you look (further) like you were trying to avoid your fare.

The other problem with lying is that you then have to remember different stories - if they ask you something else that might expose it as a lie, you might have to lie again, and so on, until you tie yourself in knots.

The great advantage of the truth is there is only one version to remember. The disadvantage is that it might expose you as trying to avoid your fare : but they likely know that already!

However, you don't have to mention your walking between platforms 1 to 19, unless they ask. In case they formally ask you: decide now what you would do, but don't raise it unless they do

thank u BazzaS fr ur reply

will defnly check other threads regarding proces

will there be any serious repercussions of my mistake?

m just worried...

this is my first time .never done anything of this sort...never cheated with not buying tickets etc .

so am very worried .

:sad:

thank u BazzaS fr ur reply

will defnly check other threads regarding proces

will there be any serious repercussions of my mistake?

m just worried...

this is my first time .never done anything of this sort...never cheated with not buying tickets etc .

so am very worried .

:sad:

How unfortunate that it was your first time (rather than first time being caught), but none the less, once "caught", they are unlikely to be swayed by you saying "it was my first time".

You should try for an out of court settlement.

If convicted and fined, it could prevent you from successfully applying for citizenship for 3 years, if they get a "recordable conviction" (ie under S5 of the RRA 1889)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/270533/ch18annexd.pdf

Failure to disclose a conviction (if you get convicted) would make you liable to a longer penalty (read the part about disclosure / dishonesty)

You may find yourself wondering if the "lets see if I can exploit a loophole, for a few £'s gain" was worth it ......

What you need to do is stop worrying, wait for the letter. It is pointless asking the same questions and getting the same answers. You made a mistake, so once you get the letter, update this thread.

You could consider visiting CAB.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there

Its been 4 weeks and i haven't received any letter.

I am so panicking about the situation.

COuld You please anyone suggest what should I do?

DO you think I should wait or call South West Trains and check with them?

Kindly suggest

Thx

Stop worrying. If you haven't received anything, it isn't good or bad. If you ring them, the likelyhood is that they won't know what your talking about, because you won't have the relevant reference numbers. They will more then likely tell you to wait for a letter. There is no time limit, but wait, they might not even bother sending a letter.

Hi there

Its been 4 weeks and i haven't received any letter.

I am so panicking about the situation.

COuld You please anyone suggest what should I do?

DO you think I should wait or call South West Trains and check with them?

Kindly suggest

Thx

Why did you go to Waterloo? I'm assuming because at that time of day the train to Fleet wouldn't have stopped at Clapham jUNCTION? I know at peak times fast services on the mainline don't call at Clapham, meaning you have to change at Surbiton from this station. Also, not all Fleet services stop at Clapham anyway. All this isn't particularly that relevant, but could be what you'd ordinarily see as ways to excuse your actions. Not crime of the century, but a not via London ticket costs more, hence the issue. The barriers accepting your ticket doesn't matter. Not the biggest issue in the world and I'm sure SWT will be willing to listen to you assuming it's a first offence. They might however wish to ask you some more questions to ascertain whether or not you do this every day. This would be slightly more serious..

It won't be 3-weeks though, I can almost certainly say that. I reckon 8-weeks.