Landlord refusing repairs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3542 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Been living in our property for over 2 years now. The issue we are having is as the landlord is planning on selling the property come February 2015 and he is now refusing to complete what I believe to be essential repairs. I live with my partner and 2 kids aged 4 and 3.

In February 2014 he replaced one of the Lath and plaster walls in our 3rd bedroom with a plasterboard wall but refused to do the other side which is crumbling to the touch in our 2nd bedroom. At this point he also replace part of the wall in the landing which was roughly one foot high by 3 foot wide. To complete the work in the hall they stripped the whole wall and then expected me to pay for the wall and the room to be redecorated. I paid for the room to be redecorated and did plan on paying for the entire hall stairs and landing to be done but the wall where the repair had been done now started to deteriorate and is now also crumbling to the touch.

For the past 6 months he has refused to do any repairs and we are still paying full rent on time each month.

Issue I now have is im not happy paying full rent when repairs need doing. I have spoke to our local housing who cant do anything until he provides a "notice of quit" but I have requested this be he has refused to provide one.

I also believe it will also be worth mentioning we have never had a gas safety certificate, EVER. When I approached him he said he don't need one which I know is a lie. The kitchen is also falling to pieces with the draws being hold on by expose screws and some of the plug sockets are coming away from the wall or don't work.

I have spoke to him today and give 3 options.

1) He does the repairs and i continue to pay rent

2) I do the repairs and use the rent money to cover the cost and pay the rest to the landlord and provide invoices

3) We negotiate a reduce rate of rent.

Just looking for some advise on my situation.

All rented properties have to have a Gas safety inspection & a certificate to say it's been done etc, as it is a legal requirement. It must be done once a year by a Corgi registered engineer & the LL pays for it.

Get on to your local Council & start complaining.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

As they are a Landlord if the property has gas then they are required to do a gas safety inspection annually.

HSE Gas Safety link: http://www.hse.gov.uk/GAS/domestic/faqtenant.htm

Gas Safe Register link: http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

As has been advised by others contact your local councils enviromental health dept and ask to inspect property also check with the council private lettings section that your landlord is registered with them.

Is your deposit protected?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Two corrections

1. CORGI was replaced several years ago by GAS SAFE, and all gas appliance engineers should be currently GAS SAFE registered

2. The correct title for the Council Officer is Private Residential Tenancy Officer or similar. Council Letters Dept could be confused with the Council's mail room.

The landlord has is stiff refusing to accept any of my 3 offers and is persistent on either the full months rent or our 1 months notice to leave.

He saying that as the tenancy agreement started on 26th October 2012 (12 month contract) He could evict us on 25th October 2014 and we could not do anything about it. Also he saying as we have always paid rent the begging of the month (cash) that the payment is late according to the agreement which is also cause for eviction.

My arguments are he has only bought the to my attention now i'm forcing him to complete repair work he has admitted he does not want to and is still refusing too as he wants to sell. And as the contract lapsed in October 2013 its now a periodic tenancy and i right in assuming its 2 months notice as we pay rent monthly.

I have spoken to the council also who have arranged a callback from environmental health.