Cabot Financial/Restons claimform - Vanquis card 'debt'

123billyb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3527 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Just signed up looking for some advise on a 4 year old debt that was originally owed to Vanquis.

Not going to bore you on the why's and wherefores of how the debt came to be

but 2 years ago it was sold onto Cabot financial Services who's letters I have ignored.

A few weeks back I received a claimform informing me that Restons Solicitors are taking me to court for the debt on behalf of Cabot Financial Services.

I responded to the claim online on the 15th Sept

stating I have no recollection of owing any debt to Restons Solicitors or its clients

and have asked them to send me copies of signed agreements relating to their claim.

I also sent a letter using the templates online to Restons Solicitors enclosing a £1 PO

stating I do not acknowledge any debt to them or their clients and for them to send me a copy of original agreement with Vanquis,

a full statement of account, a signed copy of assignment to Cabot Financial and any other associated documents within 14 working days of receiving my letter.

I received a letter 4 days ago from Northampton CCBC dated for the 15th Septemebr acknowledging receipt of my defence

stating the claimant or their solicitor may contact me direct to resolve the matter

and if the matter can not be resolved informally, the claimant will inform the court that he wishes to proceed.

The court will then inform me what will happen.

It also states that if the claimant has not contacted the court within 28 days of receiving a copy of my defence, the claim will be stayed.

If they want to pursue it after that date, they will need to apply to a judge for an order lifting the stay.

I have received a letter today dated 24th September from Cabot Financial saying if I want to close the account,

they will offer me a 75% discount on the debt (£711.96 payable from £2847.87 which includes all the added charges)

and I have 14 days to take them up on the offer.

I have not received any of the documentation I requested from either Cabot Financial or Restons solicitors

and the 14 day payment offer they have made goes over the time-frame I gave them to supply me with copies of the original documentation.

Also the expiry date of their offer is very close to the time they need to inform Northampton CCBC of any further actions they wish to take.

They say you should never presume but would I be right in thinking they do not have any copies of original signed documents

I requested as surely if they did, they would be sending me them rather than an offer to only pay 25% of the final debt figure?

Also should I still contact Restons Solicitors after the 14 days (plus 3 for post) has expired if they have still not sent me any of the information I have requested?

Finally if their claim gets "Stayed", what exactly does that mean?

All advise will be much appreciated.

Stayed, simply means it will be put on hold pending further instruction from either party to the claim.

I would have thought that any offer to close the account would need to be sent by the solicitor and not Cabot themselves, as there is a claim in progress. It is my understanding that would take the form of a Consent order.

I wonder if the Cabot department which has sent that offer are not aware there is a claim in progress !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I have moved you to the Legal Forums and will ask someone to pop in and advise.

You do not need to do anything regarding the thread move.. it is purely administrative.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

75% discount means PENALTY charges or PPI [ROP] needs reclaiming.

give us something

before we have to discontinue our claim.

as we have no proof you owe anything

and as you've defended the claim

its upset our play at trying to get a default non contested judgement.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...