DPAReq-Asking 4 ID is this common practice?

Nightmare4banks
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6613 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all!

Just have a few questions that need clarification.

MBNA have asked for a copy of my ID.Is this common practice/acceptable under the DPA or a delaying tactic?

Also,if you have more than one account with the bank - do you send a tenner per account or a tenner for all of the data held about you?

i.e.Loan Account + Credit Card Account.

or Bank Account + Credit Card Account.

or more than one loan account.

or more than one bank account.

I need this information so that I can kick a few banks a**ses more than once!

If I have overlooked a thread that answers my questions,please let me know.

Many thanks in advance.

You should only need to pay one £10 fee for the information the bank hold about you - according to posts I have read elsewhere.....

As far as the DPA request needing ID - I'm not sure, but feel that as long as you are still at the address they previously had details of, it seems unreasonable that ID should be requested.

Hopefully, someone with greater knowledge of the DPA can confirm this.

Good Luck

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks mate,jonni2bad.

That is what I thought especially regarding the ID.

In all the cases that I recall,I have never needed to have ID i.e. passport to obtain credit facilities apart from a mortgage or re-mortgage which is compulsory.The requirements were proof of address and another document wih my signature i.e.NHS Card.

Not so sure however about multiplicity of accounts or should I say multiplicity of a** kicking?

Wait and see someone who has more knowledge that could kindly shed some light on the DPA procedures and requirements etc.

If you don't get a response here before Tuesday, then give the Information Commissioner's Office a call -

Helpline telephone: 01625 545 745

They will clarify the rights and wrongs for you.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

A bit confused with your original post - I assume that you have not sent the £10. In which case the clock hasn't yet started, so it cannot be seen as a delaying tactic.

Anyway, the DPA request is for all information held by that bank under your name - therefore if you have multiple accouts you need send only on fee. Since the 40-days has not started, it would probably save a great deal of hassle to send a copy of your ID - that would just stop them from making an issue of it.

There are some battles worth having - and others that it's best to just pass by.

The important thing at the moment is to get the clock ticking.

Alan, Derby, UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.

Hi all!

Thanks for your valued replies,jonni2bad & alan - both highly appreciated.

No,I have not sent any tenners yet but I have prepared my list over this holiday.

MBNA asked me for a copy of my ID but I had not sent them any money at the time.

I have over 30 accounts to deal with - so it is going to be a fairly expensive exercise but well worthwhile.Many thanks to this site.

So,this should save me a bit of money - by not having to shell out say 4 x £10 to

a company that I have 4 unsecured loans with.Just the tenner - Thank God!

I will keep all posted!

Once again many thanks!

Hi mate DPA Section 7 paragrath 3 says (A data controller is not obliged to comply with a reqest under this section unless he is supplied with such imformation as he may reasonably require in order to satisfy himself as to the identity of the person making the request).I photo copied passport and utillty bill,hope that helps

If you need to provide ID (such as when you have moved house) a bank should be able to take a 'certified copy' in the branch. This has the advantage of being authorised by the bank, and therefore ensures that they cannot put further obstacles in your way...good luck.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 2019-03-08.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6613 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks