2 Defaults by British gas and chased by Ecollections

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I once lived at an address with a flatmate. Unbeknownst to me this flat mate registered utilities in my name after I left the house, and didn't pay the bills.

I moved in with my girlfriend at her rented accommodation.

British Gas is refusing to remove the defaults till I provide a contract for the new accommodation I lived in. However as I moved in with my girlfriend, my now wife, the contract at that location was in her name as was all the utilities.

I've formally disputed the debt with British Gas, but of course these 2 defaults are hurting my credit rating. I also get annoying emails from Ecollection.

I wrote to British Gas and stated that I didnt live in the venue at the time, and it has nothing to do with me. I offered as a gesture of good faith to settle the debt on behalf of the actual party owing it, if they would remove the defaults. But they are refusing.

What would you guys advice to do? the 2 Defaults was for gas and electrics and been on my credit file since 2011.

The amounts are roughly £100 and £200.

Lokur

• 4 weeks later...

Ecollections have just notified me they are returning the debt to British Gas due to the dispute with the Original Creditor.

I contacted British Gas again to make them aware that they are using a DCA to chase a disputed debt.

They say the onus of proof is on me, and if anyone has used my name for utilities that's a dispute I need to raise with that person, not BG.

Clearly it must be the creditor who must prove they are owed moneys?