Vet Missed deformed front legs in puppy!!

bouncinniki
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3540 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have a 11 month old female beagle puppy, I noticed her front legs bowed slightly and asked my vet about it, who just said she might be a beagle cross which could explain the front legs looking odd.

She then starting limping about a month ago and I noticed her right foot was twisting when she walked!! My vet said she must have sprained her leg, I questioned the bowed legs again and was dismissed with pain relief and told to come back in a week or so if she's still limping!! He noted that her leg was deformed but didn't seem bothered!

I went back after a week and saw my normal vet who NOW seemed very concerned and said she wants to refer me to Davies hospital (Who charge a fortune and demand payment immediately or they wont help!)

I wasn't happy with this, as my vet still hadn't done any tests or xrays and just seemed to pass the buck!

I went to another vet for a second opinion, one who came very highly recommended!

He examined her, and said it was worse than I first thought and would probably need surgery to correct.

they did blood test and xrays of all her bones as it could be a bone disease, they came back that both front legs are deformed and need immediate surgery, she also has advanced hip dysplacia!! He has had a online conference with the UK leading vet's who all criticised him for not picking it up earlier, he then explained it wasn't his mistake!

Basically this should have been picked up months ago, and if it had it would have saved her surgery and pain!!

Plus it would have saved me £1000's

Can I complain or get some financial help from my previous vet??

Thanks for reading, I will keep you updated as we go :)

Niki & Bailey (Beagle Pup)

Can I complain or get some financial help from my previous vet??

Yes you can complain but am not sure if the bet will give you financial help.

If the second vet you went to will provide evidence of their diagnosis as well as evidence that expensive surgery would not have been needed if the diagnosis was correctly done with the first vet, then you would have a strong case against the first vet.

But from what I see, - the legs are deformed and would have needed surgery and would have needed surgery at the time where you took your dog to the first vet.

The first vet didn't correctly diagnose, but had they correctly diagnosed the dog would still need surgery at a cost of what the cost of the surgery is now... if that makes sense?!

Or of diagnosed correctly at the first vets, then surgery wouldn't be needed?

I hope Bailey is better soon!

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!