Baron Renog's Dad Versus Equidebt.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3517 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My father had a £5,000 alleged debt bought outright by Equidebt some years back, who didn't seem too bad as debt collectors go, though others may of course have had different experiences. Before Equidebt bought it it was last with Intrum Justitia, acting as Cahoot agents 'from memory', and with a couple of other Cahoot agents before that I think. He sent one of the early mobs a CCA request with the £1 fee asking for proof of the alleged debt, copy retained and sent recorded delivery, and they sneakily recorded the £1 fee as a payment towards the alleged debt. He then wrote them a letter, copy retained and sent recorded delivery, explaining that they shouldn't have done this and it certainly wasn't a payment towards the alleged debt.

The alleged debt eventually became statute barred, but Equidebt obviously didn't realise this. A few months before Equidebt assumed it was going to be statute barred they got a solicitor involved, a genuine legal threat I think and no 'in house' bluff, who was swiftly dispatched after receiving copies of all the relevant letters and proof of deliveries. Equidebt were not amused and I almost felt a bit sorry for them, but it wasn't my father's fault and he couldn't afford to pay.

All I can say further regarding Equid is that I know of solicitor's letters ["will" type, not "may"] which, if ignored, were not followed up, but the recipients did have records to hand in case the solicitors were to go to court. I still don't understand how, renegot, you believe only your record keeping prevented further action.

Anyway, as Equidebt went down the tubes, they can't be called to account, so their past antics don't much matter. The last letter I saw from them was offering 80% discount, and the one before it to consider "any realistic amount, no matter how small". Pathetic. Sometimes it doesn't take a genius to determine when the party is over.

Like I said, Equidebt believed that the debt was not statute barred and if no records had been kept. If they did initiate a court case, then a judge could possibly have found in their favour on that front. My father and I have dealt with multiple debts over the years, being taken to court a combined 5 times in the process (never lost), so I have a pretty good idea about what is regular auto-poop and what might be something to take seriously.

I obviously can't definitively state that Equidebt would have taken my father to court. However, the thing that struck me most about the letter he got was the timing of it. It was just a couple of months before Equidebt believed the debt was to become statute barred. On 2 of the past occasions that we were taken to court, it was done in a similar fashion with a solicitors letter being received just a couple of months before a debt was due to become statute barred. I hope that you now understand everything I have said fully.

Are you of the opinion that Equidebt never took anyone to court? I honestly don't know if they did, not from forum memory, and don't have the time to trawl through old threads to find out at the moment.

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

Equidebt are now defunct and have been for some time, they went into Administration...

So you wouldnt have to worry about them taking you or anyone else to court...

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Lowells appear to be issuing claims pretty close to SB dates as well, Renog..

I have done a quick search and cannot see that Equidebt had issued any claims prior to their demise.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

In respect of record keeping - I would agree that this could have contributed to your upper hand. Mr Harrison's record keeping won the day for him in "Harrison v Link".

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 3 weeks later...
Equidebt are now defunct and have been for some time, they went into Administration... So you wouldnt have to worry about them taking you or anyone else to court...

Equidebt's Debt portfolio was sold to Cabot. Stigman

While not having to worry about Equidebt any more, it perhaps means that folks do now have a little bit more to worry about (?), unless a debt is already statute barred of course.

Lowells appear to be issuing claims pretty close to SB dates as well, Renog..

Yes, it was definitely a pattern I noticed with our cases and some other folks I knew of.

I have done a quick search and cannot see that Equidebt had issued any claims prior to their demise.

Thank you kindly, and oleg might well have been right then. It is always best to never take anything for granted, especially when dealing with potentially very serious issues such as these, as I am sure everyone would readily agree.

In respect of record keeping - I would agree that this could have contributed to your upper hand. Mr Harrison's record keeping won the day for him in "Harrison v Link".

At the very least, it would certainly have reduced their efforts at making any further serious threats or just pestering in general. :wink:

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?