style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3575 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

-

Hello folks

I would be most grateful if someone can give me some pointers.

I purchased a used car for £3500 cash from a motor trader who trades from home. He is a sole trader, not Ltd company. I bought the car 5 weeks ago. I test drove the car and it looked.drove wonderfully. The car is a 2005 (05 plate)

The day after purchase, I found the hazard lights did not work. I told the trader who offered to look, or I could get a new switch if I preferred. I opted to replace the switch myself as it is a simple job and it indeed fixed it.

A week later the battery died. I told the trader I had no choice than to get a new battery as the car was with me 30 miles from him and it was the cheapest option all round.

Two weeks on and the handbrake started sticking.

Yesterday the rear windows stopped working.

I am obviously not best pleased and have lost confidence in the car. 4 faults in as many weeks and I have had enough.

My intention is to reject the car and ask for a full refund.

Anyone know how to go about this? I am a very timid chap and don't like confrontation at all. I already feel uneasy about the whole process. But I will push all the way.

Can anyone tell me if 5 weeks, 4 faults is a reasonable length of time in which to reject the car still?

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

Edited by Conniff

how did you pay?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just an update. I went to move the car this morning to somewhere where it will not get damaged (parking around here is tight). central locking has now stopped working too! tried all 3 keys.

These may all seem relatively minor problems in the grand scheme of things, but the car should all work as it was advertised as 'superb condition, no faults'. I do not and did not want a car that needs to go to the garage weekly for the next problem to be addressed.

Hi wheelchairdave

Don't speak to him over the phone or in person, communicate in writing so you have a paper trail.

Write to him, explain that you are rejecting the car.

Explain that you purchased the car on XX/XX/XXXX and numerous faults have occured meaning that when it was purchased the car wasn't as described or of satisfactory quality.

List the faults found so far with a brief summary.

Explain that under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 the car must be as described and of satisfactory quality.

Explain that you want a full refund and the car collected within the next 7 days.

Send it Recorded Delivery.

You could also ring CAB, get a reference number from them, add it to the letter, as follows:-

CC: Ref XXXXXXXXX, CAB/Trading Standards

Just an update with a twist.

Unfortunately, the car although parked, was hit by a lorry on Friday and is pretty much a write off. The insurance company is now dealing with it, so at least I will get my money back that way. To be fair, the lorry driver did leave a note on the car so credit to him for that. A neighbour saw it also, so I have a witness if needed. I would like to have seen this go to court really, but I suppose all I actually wanted was my money back, so I suppose I have won in a funny sort of way.

Dave.