Student accomodation contracts

spb1957
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3619 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just posting this out of interest, as nothing has actually happened, but I was speaking to my daughter recently regarding her campus accomodation agreement.

According to the agreement, the uni can fine students for inappropriate behaviour (one case in question is wedging a fire door open during hot weather).

Question is basically, can a university levy fines against students for not following procedures, and more to the point, can they refuse to hand out degrees and results if the 'fines' are not paid ?

I would imagine they would be covered as unfair terms and conditions such as unlawful overlimit fees and late payment fees. They would have to prove genuine pre-estimate of loss for breaking the agreement and thus could be reclaimed, not paid and complained about.

One way they migth be able to do this for example a false fire alarm call out would be to pass any "fine" imposed by the fire service onto the tenants responsible.

I stand to be corrected however

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

This was my way of thinking on this too, as I came to this forum because of the Private Parking section and have read a lot about GPEOL and contract law.

My daughter currently has a £300 'fine' along with others for wedging a door open, although their contract says the fine for this would be between £15-£100.

In any case, all these fines imposed so far are suspended, and I suspect the uni uses them to discourage such behaviour.

I guess the main question is, are universities one of the official bodies that can fine people (and they do use the word fine in the accomodation contracts) ?