Cancelled sky television a year ago... still being charged

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I need some guidance please with regards to Sky who, according to your forum, seem to be repeat offenders. I have been a sky customer for years. Last July I moved house. I told them that I would be cancelling television (because I purchased a freeview box) but keeping telephone and broadband. Upon moving, the engineer came around to set up telephone and broadband and I carried on with life.

Because these organisations force you to go paperless and pay by direct debit, I never checked my bills. A year on, and we have to move again sadly. So I called to have my telephone and broadband transferred to the new property. Sky then ask me if Id like to speak to the television team and get tele moved over as well. I laughed and said, 'thank you but I don't have tele with yourselves'.

Turns out I have been paying for it for a year at an additional £24.99 a month. (I know, I know... you're probably thinking wtf... how did you not notice? - I revert back to the paperless/ direct debit thing again). Anyhow, I have been going around in circles with them. They told me that I have it. I said, I don't. No engineer came around to do it and as far as I know, the previous property doesn't have Sky fitted; only Virgin.

I said I needed to close my account. They said I could but it would immediately archive my file and we wouldn't be able to review it again. So until this is resolved, I have to keep paying. They said, 'do I have prove that I cancelled'. I said well, you have the audio recordings that you record for training purposes. Apparently they can't access them.

I said you can have a look at my account and see there has been no activity for a year - they checked and said 'well we can see you haven't bought films but otherwise, we have no idea what you watch on tele' (that's laughable).

I said, I have my freeview box that shows I have been recording things since last Autumn. They asked me if I had a cancellation notice. I said' not as far as I am aware'. I did however find my email to say that broadband and telephone would be set up. (I haven't told them this yet).

I wanted your advice first. Surely this isn't right. I requested them to stop a service and they didn't do it. They have charging me ever since, and won't let me close the account. What rights do I have? How do I prove that I cancelled it? Any help would be amazing. I am so annoyed I am prepared to take them to Small Claims Court but I want to be well thought out about it. Thank you in advance, Kind regards Michelle

Talking to them over the phone is absolutely pointless.

You need to get everything in writing, this way an adult who can actually read will have to deal with the matter, not some spotty teenager reading from a script.

Get it in writing first, demand they refund you all of the payments they have taken from you for the TV, along with interest at their rate (if they have one?)

And definitely drop them at the very first opportunity, vote with your feet and move to a reputable company who puts customers first.

They have 8 weeks from when you first made your complaint, you did tell them it was a complaint yes? If they have failed

to rectify the complaint to your satisfaction, then you need to escalate it beyond their control to Ofcom, where they are very much aware of this lot, they currently top the league

table of most complained about company, along with Virgin Bleadia with BT coming in on third position, your just a number and revenue to them, there is no customer care or focus with these lot nowadays..

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

If you took them to court, wouldn't you have to prove you didn't notice an extra £25 a month leaving your account?

No, and it wouldn't reach the court, they will refund well before then.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

simple answer is to write to them an get them to prove a skybox of any description was connected

it wasn't and ofcourse that you even have a sky box!!

they cant

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They don't "archive accounts" and you can cancel it without any issues regarding claiming for your refund.

As BB says put it in writing but I would also put it through the online contact form as well. (NOT online chat)

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)