DWP demand access in your home & documents

dyfed
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3585 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Its bad enough them knocking our doors expecting to be let in and given information they ask for or face the possibility of sanctions or more hassle if you dont comply.

You might not have a problem with this but I consider it to be intrusive and Orwellian.

No one will be sanctioned if they don't have the information to hand straight away. They will be given a suitable period of time to provide it & then if they still fail to comply, benefit is suspended until they do so.

Like has been mentioned elsewhere, very few compliance visits are done this way as too much time is wasted visiting properties when the claimant is not in. Nearly all will be notified. But the option is there.

It's not a trick, the randomly picked Compliance cases have nothing to do with fraud. It's a benefit check/review. There is nothing sinister about it.

Just because part of the guidance has changed in June 2014 (I presume it's the change of job title from Compliance officer to "Performance Measurement review officer") doesn't mean its new. Its been like this for years.

Would those people whose benefits actually go up after one of these visits find them intrusive? If you don't like it, don't claim. Simple really!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody is disputing that the DWP should be denied the information necessary for it to process a claim. They can do that quite satisfactorily from the offices provided at great expense for that purpose.

Surely the issue here is the arrival of officials at one’s doorstep unannounced with the authority to gain access. It’s sometimes all I can do to keep calm when faced with the treatment dished out by staff at the Jobcentre. All I would say to anyone who even dreamt of coming into my own home and displayed the same attitude is that they make sure that they have a good life insurance policy. Or do we have to allow the goons in as well?

I was always given to understand that this was a free country. Dammit our parents and grandparents fought wars to keep it so and in order for us to be able to live without dreading the knock on the door.

Whatever happened to “An Englishman’s home is his castle”. It would appear that some of the present generation accept that their home is not their own to determine who gains access and who doesn’t. When they come for the appeasers and the apologists who is going to be left to stand up for them, or even listen?

The most vulnerable and weak are targeted first. People are dying by the thousand and little or nothing gets done about it. A few people had their holiday plans disrupted last week because they were too stupid to sort out their passports in time and left everything to the last minute. The media made a meal of it all week, ministers were falling over themselves to apologise and a promise of hundreds of new staff and millions of pounds to sort it all out quickly was given. Meanwhile the poor, the sick and the elderly are dying on an industrial scale because of this government’s callous policies and not a finger is lifted.

I don’t think it’s good enough to say it’s OK because this policy has been around for some time.

It shows how far the rot has set in and the brainwashing is working when I read statements like If you wants the money, you play the game’ When I was paying income tax and national insurance for over forty years I was told this was to support me if sickness or unemployment should befall me. Now what do I find when unemployment befell me? The money to support me is begrudged while millions are squandered on agencies and programmes designed to punish me and line the pockets of the ‘game-masters’, at taxpayers’ expense.

Well said.

If MP's and people in power had their lives scrutinized as deeply as this they're be an outcry.

And lets face it we, the people pay these rotten sods their salary from our taxes.

As I pointed out - COs do not have "the authority to gain access". If you tell them to go away, they will.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Well said.

If MP's and people in power had their lives scrutinized as deeply as this they're be an outcry.

MPs do have their lives scrutinized at least as much as benefit claimants. Not that I feel sorry for them or anything, but how do you think we found out about the whole expenses fiasco?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

IMO thats rarer and because of their position and contacts and the typical double standards the Tories employ they mange to get away with far more then any claimant could.

No argument there - you don't get extra benefits for your duck pond.

But of course, this is why I said I don't feel sorry for them - no-one forced them to become MPs after all. Still, the fact remains that they are scrutinized a lot more than benefit claimants, both officially and by the press.

More generally, I don't particularly like the idea of COs visiting claimants unannounced, as I think (and apparently the DWP mostly agrees) that it's usually a waste of time and money and is discourteous to claimants. But it's not, as presented by the blogger in the OP, some new and sinister plot. It's a long-standing policy that's rarely used.

What is happening between the government, DWP and people who are claiming benefits is like a war that is getting worse. The DWP backed by the government are constantly coming up with new rules, new legislation to harm the very people that the welfare system is trying to protect. We all know that there are cheats, fakers and people who just don't want to work but instead of concentrating on them and weeding them out the DWP has declared war on ALL benefit claimants. I mean prisoners have rights that have to be respected but it seems that if you commit the crime of being unemployed then you are the lowest of the low and you can be treated as such by this government and its agencies.

No-one is safe, no-one is above being made redundant. Any of us could be sat in that 'claimants' chair and be spoken to like a piece of crap. It would do some people good to keep that in mind.

I can see these 'visits' from both sides. I can see how visiting could help the DWP weed out the cheats (people who work while claiming, people who have boy or girlfriends living with them while claiming to be single, people who don't even live at the address etc), I don't believe for a second that it is to 'help' people.

From the 'claimants' point of view I can see how they could view this as invasive and draconian. They are already being dangled on a string with the constant pressure that they will make a mistake and will be sanctioned for months on end. People are at the end of their tether, the constant battles with the JC?/work programme, the constant fear that next week they may not even have enough money for food and the fading hope that the situation they find themselves in will end and they can live again. Peoples homes are their sanctuary, it is supposed to be someone where you close the door and breathe again. But the DWP now want to take that away too, as well as people's dignity and self respect, now they want to take their sanctuary too.

None of these checks and sanctions hurt the career benefit claimant, the ones who have never worked and have no intention of ever working. These are the people this government were supposed to be targeting but instead they have targeted everyone, including people who have worked for decades and have been made redundant.

I know these 'checks' are nothing new but the point is these 'checks' should not exist in the first place. The DWP have vast ways and powers to catch the cheats, they don't need to carry out these home visits to achieve their goals, this is just another weapon used to beat people with. It has no place in a supposedly first class country in the 21st century.

Remember THERE GOES I BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD.

Me x

Oh my , Just got a letter this morning regarding one of these visits, headed:

Notification of Local Service Compliance Visit

At least I have a day and set times of 9.30am to 1.30pm, Cannot give a specific time it says.

Have nothing to hide so will go along depending on what information they want and after I have confirmed their identity.

Video recorder to the ready......

George

It wasn't alarming to me shoelover when it was the HB check. I was just a bit mystified as to who it was at 9.00 am ringing the doorbell, I had thought it must the postman with a package lol....the woman was pleasant and explained her reason for being there was to routine check my claim.

Now though, I have moved home and do not have a glass front door, so cannot see through it who is there, I don't answer if am not expecting anyone, camera or not. There is a polite notice on my door stating nobody will be allowed in without prior appointment and ID, and that no buying or selling is done at the door. Its a police issue stick on notice. And I really don't answer the door unless I know who it is. My son and daughter have spare keys for this very reason.

But if they write and I know to expect them then I will comply. I personally have no issue with it. I am happy and lucky to have my council home and due to my illness and benefits I claim HB and CTR, if they feel the need to check me out face to face I have no issue with it. Its happened once to me in 10 yrs.....as although I worked before, my earnings allowed me some HB and CT help.

It is not alarming, it is just plain vindictive and an invasion of privacy IMHO. They know all they need to know as they are privy to information stored about us via HMRC, DWP, JCP, Council etc so again IMHO this is just a step too far

It is not alarming, it is just plain vindictive and an invasion of privacy IMHO. They know all they need to know as they are privy to information stored about us via HMRC, DWP, JCP, Council etc so again IMHO this is just a step too far

How on earth is it vindictive?

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

The time to complain about this, if complaints are indeed warranted, was when they started doing it. I suppose that the origins of this lie in the old means tests, where some guy would come out to your house and force you to sell any of your possessions deemed to be unnecessary as a condition of receiving public assistance.

It's not vindictive, and while there's a degree of invasion of privacy, that kind of comes with the territory when one claims benefits. As noted by myself and others, they really don't show up unannounced very often these days as in most cases it's a waste of resources and the chances of people being out or simply not answering the door are pretty high. However, if you do answer the door to a CO and you don't want to let them in, tell them this. They should explain the purpose of the visit, what they need to see, and arrange an alternative time or means for you to provide the information. They will not rush straight back to the office and suspend your claim. Under no circumstances can they force entry to your home.

And of course, always check their ID, whether you let them in or not.

OK, vindictive was a bit OTT I agree, more anger via invasion of privacy I guess. As I stated though and I won't change my mind on this is the case that they have all info they need from HMRC, DWP, JCP, council etc so why the NEED for a home visit especially if you share your home with disabled parents like I do which could distress them. What next - Oh you have a big TV so you must be working cash in hand or getting too much? Sorry, this to me is not on but maybe I am just very protective of myself and familyeven with nothing to hide

and while there's a degree of invasion of privacy,

May I say there's an understatement. :D I think turning up announced asking to see your 'papers' has very dodgey overtones. And just because they've always done this doesn't make it right.

Can you imagine Cameron and his pals putting up with this If they turned the tables and demanded this of MP's? You say they come under more scrutiny, but not like this imo.

they really don't show up unannounced very often these days as in most cases it's a waste of resources

So why do it at all, and why now included this info on their website If not to use to intimidate?

Back in 1991 I briefly signed on and had a new claims visit. It's hardly new. I didn't find it intrusive.

Proof of Id is needed for all sorts of things, it's hardly the same as asking for your papers in that sense!

I have worked in benefits for 22 years, 21 of those as a fraud investigator. I do not know anyone that subscribes to the view that everyone on benefits is a cheat or a scrounger. Most people on benefits are genuine - and most people that work In benefits are well aware of that.

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

Several years ago a disabled friend of mine rang me. He was still giggling and laughing.

Evidently a 'Compliance Officer' or somesuch called at his house to check some things.

My friend said it was Pouring with rain when the gentleman called. My friend didnt let him in but spoke to him on the doorstep. When asked for proof of certain details he asked the chap to wait, closed the door with the poor chap still in the rain and went and made a cup of tea. Around 5 minutes later he said he went back to the front door where the now soaked CO was standing, apologised and said he couldnt find the information requested as his wife had put it away but if he came back the next day he would get his wife to find it. The CO left, my friend said, soaked to the bone, and my old matey just couldnt stop giggling and laughing.

Taking a poke at the world

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Several years ago a disabled friend of mine rang me. He was still giggling and laughing.

Evidently a 'Compliance Officer' or somesuch called at his house to check some things.

My friend said it was Pouring with rain when the gentleman called. My friend didnt let him in but spoke to him on the doorstep. When asked for proof of certain details he asked the chap to wait, closed the door with the poor chap still in the rain and went and made a cup of tea. Around 5 minutes later he said he went back to the front door where the now soaked CO was standing, apologised and said he couldnt find the information requested as his wife had put it away but if he came back the next day he would get his wife to find it. The CO left, my friend said, soaked to the bone, and my old matey just couldnt stop giggling and laughing.

Urban myth, but if not this sort of thing will obviously help come the next visit!

Back in 1991 I briefly signed on and had a new claims visit. It's hardly new. I didn't find it intrusive.

Proof of Id is needed for all sorts of things, it's hardly the same as asking for your papers in that sense!

I have worked in benefits for 22 years, 21 of those as a fraud investigator. I do not know anyone that subscribes to the view that everyone on benefits is a cheat or a scrounger. Most people on benefits are genuine - and most people that work In benefits are well aware of that.

Sorry but I WOULD find it intrusive and I WOULD tell whoever it is to bugger off. If they want to talk to me then write a letter and I will come down to the job centre but dont come banging on my door upsetting my family and showing us up in front of the neighbours.

It would be polite to send a letter and make an appointment at the very least. This is just big brother, big state gone mad. They even want to restrict what we spend our benefit money on.

So whats next? A benefit uniform? Maybe an arm band with the star of david on it? Just so everyone knows that we are benefit scrounging ****?

Nah this is a step too far and I dont care how long its been going on for it still aint right. Anyway its not always been the same proccedure. The government, who werent elected, have changed things. Even this phoney labour government will make things worse.

Its very very very 1984!

Put it this way, would the great british public find it acceptable for the police to randomly pick someones name then go knocking their door asking to come in and check their I.D, bank statements and see if any illegal activity is being carried out within the house?

No?

Then why is it acceptable because I claim benefits?