style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3504 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I recently finished the tenancy at a property and as per the norm agreed to a checkout at the end before handing over the keys.

The checkout lady arrived on time.

Before starting she made a call to the landlord (as had been requested to her before by him) and

I overheard parts of the conversation. she said

" yes cleaning has been done professionally as per receipts but not by the cleaners as suggested from the estate agency".

Next she started her inventory check

eventually taking 5 hours to do the whole check.

She went over each point, one by one and went to the extent of running her hand over the backs of the pelmets/curtains to check for dust !!

All this time my wife and I had to hover around, because she seemed to sometimes note down things which were even already said to be defective/faulty.

Well due to her diligence, she made some additional 10 or so entries.

Is it normal for a checkout to last 5 hours for a 4 bedroom property???

Hi Everyone,

I recently finished the tenancy at a property and as per the norm agreed to a checkout at the end before handing over the keys.

The checkout lady arrived on time.

Before starting she made a call to the landlord (as had been requested to her before by him) and

I overheard parts of the conversation. she said

" yes cleaning has been done professionally as per receipts but not by the cleaners as suggested from the estate agency".

Next she started her inventory check

eventually taking 5 hours to do the whole check.

She went over each point, one by one and went to the extent of running her hand over the backs of the pelmets/curtains to check for dust !!

All this time my wife and I had to hover around, because she seemed to sometimes note down things which were even already said to be defective/faulty.

Well due to her diligence, she made some additional 10 or so entries.

Is it normal for a checkout to last 5 hours for a 4 bedroom property???

I've lived in the Private Rented sector for approx 18+ years! Always renting 4/5 bed houses due to my family size.

I've had both private LL & EA LL & off hand I think I've had about 3 checkouts in all.

They have always been done within approx 30 minutes as I usually chat away to them.

Some use an Inventory list to go by & you usually both sign it to say the property is in order. Then your deposit should be returned back to you in full within 10 Days of your leaving a property. (unless there's an issue or a deduction that you either agree/disagree with, but still should be within 10 days)

But to take 5 hours!! Blimey what was she doing? Sounds like it was an inch by inch check out, which is ridiculous!

Did you have the check in inventory with you? Did you follow her & double check anything she highlighted on your check in inventory?

Are you satisfied with the checkout form? Did you both sign it?

As for using cleaners, there's no law that says you must use their suggested ones or even have professional cleaners at all! (some EA do specify in their contracts you must use one) But I've never in over 18+ years used one. We do all my own cleaning & I've never had a deposit deduction for this! (and I've lived in over 20 + properties, so I'm an expert now in packing up & moving on)

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

I have in the past had a very fussy check-out. Probably 2 hours rather than 5 hours though, but "dust on a lampshade" was noted along the way, along with "4 burn holes in carpet" rather than the 3 listed on the check-in which cost us an unjustifiable extra £20.

The main point though is that the check-out should be a mirror of the check-in otherwise there is not a fair comparison.

I supposed It is possible that the agency has changed, and that part of the role was to bring the inventory up to date (which would take longer). You may have to wait to see what, if any, costs are proposed.

• 3 months later...

I rented a large two bedroom flat that took three hours for the checkout agent to do his report. He was very thorough and opened every cupboard and drawer and made note of everything! Every crack, every scratch, everything! I would say that if your agent was as diligent as the agent who came to check me out, then I can conceivably see a four bedroom property taking five hours.