BrightHouse Rep Misleading re Insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3460 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok thanks.
My friend has put I a written complaint in relation to their insurance policy, also SAR. What is the response time for them to respond to said complaint, before We request a deadlock letter.

Thanks

Edited by Conniff

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SARs are 40 days and complaint maximum timescales are 56 days

These are calendar days BTW :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Guest Ann-Marie at BrightHouse
Sorry for starting new thread, having problems posting reply on original, my comment.

Hi Ann-Marie, this is not what we were told in your shop in Sheffield (it's been recorded on IPhone). We were told that I cannot be removed as it built into the agreement.

Why oh Why, do you come on here and say one thing, and your staff in shop say another. I think CAG SHOULD MAKE ITS MIND UP ABOUT YOUR COMPANY ON THIS SITE. This is just a way of your company trying to look reasonable, but your not. In my OPINION you are giving your customers the Royce two fingers salute. I ask you to please go for you are doing no good on here, with your parrot responses.

"Full ownership of a product isn’t transferred to customers until the last payment is made on their agreement(s). Therefore, we must ensure that our goods are covered for Fire, Theft and Accidental Damage. Customers can take this cover through a home contents policy. We offer DLC (Damage Liability Cover) to customers who did not wish to take out a home insurance policy or alternative cover."

This can be removed at anytime however we do require a copy of the valid Home Contents Insurance before this can be done.

Hi Geocyper

Thank you responding to my earlier post.

Just to clarify, as I said earlier, prior to the 2 September 2013, we offered our customers DLC (Damage Liability Cover) on agreements which can be removed at any time by providing a copy of an alternative home contents policy.

Following on from 2 September 2013, we simplified our proposition to offer every customer our “5 Star Service” package which includes all the benefits of optional service cover and damage liability cover.

Kind Regards

Ann-Marie

Hi,

I was told by their rep Anne-Marie that if the customer had Home insurance

the could stop they DCL AND OSC cover.

I went into store with friend,

got all the DCL, OSC cover taken off all her other agreements, post more about this later.

There was one agreement she got September last year.

They say she cannot cancel this insurance as it is built into agreement.

I said they had home insurance when the bought the TV, why make her pay for it again.

They say she is not paying for insurance it's the five star service she is paying for.

We told them we did not want five star service.

Asked the to break down the cost of the five star service, they could not.

Whilst we were in store, they spoke to Anne-Maria on phone,

came back told me what her thread to me really meant,

they could not cancel five star service (bloody insurance)

this Anne-Maria then posted me a thread, then parroting the Stores line.

They have also now identified the person whom I was helping thorough her, on this site.

Edited by citizenB

I was told by their rep Anne-Marie that if the customer had Home insurance the could stop they DCL AND OSC cover.

I went into store with friend, got all the DCL, OSC cover taken off all her other agreements, post more about this later. Their was one agreement she got September last year. They say she cannot cancel this insurance as it is built into agreement. I said they had home insurance when the bought the TV, why make her pay for it again. They say she is not paying for insurance it's the five star service she is paying for. We told them we did not want five star service. Asked the to break down the cost of the five star service, they could not.

Whilst we were in store, they spoke to Anne-Maria on phone, came back told me what her thread to me really meant, they could not cancel five star service (bloody insurance) this Anne-Maria then posted me a thread, then parroting the Stores line. They have also now identified the person whom I was helping thorough her, on this site.

Hi I Sorry forgot to mention, when got this TV, we're told they need to take out DLC AND OSC. I've looked at agreement and there is no mention of this FIVE STAR SERVICE, or a breakdown of the costs.

Edited by citizenB

If the insurances are part of the agreement, then they can be reclaimed if you dont need them. it doesnt matter what BH try and say. Otherwise it would be forced on every customer regardless of if they had their own insurance.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Good Afternoon Geocyper

Apologies for any confusion experienced, however, my colleague Ann Marie has advised you correctly with regards to your original enquiry regarding Optional Service Cover (OSC), Damage Liability Cover (DLC) and how a customer can remove OSC and DLC.

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify that OSC and DLC were available to customers who took out an agreement prior to 2nd September 2013.

As previously advised, OSC is completely optional and can be cancelled without penalty with just 7 days notice. Any premiums already paid will have entitled customer’s to the following benefits:

• Repair or replacement

• Loan products

• Full returnability without charge

If a customer wishes to remove OSC from any of their agreements that started prior to 2 September 2013, they would just need to visit their local store.

Full ownership of a product isn’t transferred to customers until the last payment is made on their agreement(s). Therefore, we must ensure that our goods are covered for Fire, Theft and Accidental Damage. Customers can take this cover through a home contents policy. We DLC to customers who did not wish to take out a home insurance policy or alternative cover.

If a customer wishes to remove DLC from any of their agreements that started prior to 2nd September 2013, they would just need to provide their local store with a copy of their home contents insurance documents.

If an agreement was taken out with BrightHouse after 2nd September 2013 we now include a similar range of benefits as a standard part of our service and it is included in the weekly price.

In other words, since 2nd September 2013, we stopped offering OSC and DLC as a result of the introduction of our comprehensive “5 Star Service” package which is now included within our cash prices.

This means that since 2nd September 2013 a BrightHouse customer doesn’t only purchase a product. They purchase our five star service promise which includes:

• Delivery and installation

• In home repairs

• Loan products where extensive work is needed

• A like for like replacement if it can’t be fixed

• Cover against accidental damage, fire and theft

– with no excess to pay

BrightHouse allows customers to change their mind at any time, with no cancellation charges, as well as providing a number of flexible options to help them manage their finances when things are tight.

Please excuse the long answer but should you want any further clarification or wish to discuss any of the above, our Customer Relations Team are available to speak to on 0800 526 069. Alternatively please email us at customer.relations@bright house.co.uk and we will always be happy to help.

Many Thanks

Jason

Web Relations Team

If the insurances are part of the agreement, then they can be reclaimed if you dont need them. it doesnt matter what BH try and say. Otherwise it would be forced on every customer regardless of if they had their own insurance.

Hi renegadeimp, that what we said, they said no. This is heading to small claims court and other places, if they don't see sense. We have put SAR, two complaints will have to wait for these to go through procedure, it's up to them. Thanks for your input.

So you forcibly include the insurances now, even if they are not needed or wanted? Nice of you to clarify that jason. i wonder what the regulators will say to that.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Good Afternoon Geocyper

Apologies for any confusion experienced, however, my colleague Ann Marie has advised you correctly with regards to your original enquiry regarding Optional Service Cover (OSC), Damage Liability Cover (DLC) and how a customer can remove OSC and DLC.

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify that OSC and DLC were available to customers who took out an agreement prior to 2nd September 2013.

As previously advised, OSC is completely optional and can be cancelled without penalty with just 7 days notice. Any premiums already paid will have entitled customer’s to the following benefits:

• Repair or replacement

• Loan products

• Full returnability without charge

If a customer wishes to remove OSC from any of their agreements that started prior to 2 September 2013, they would just need to visit their local store.

Full ownership of a product isn’t transferred to customers until the last payment is made on their agreement(s). Therefore, we must ensure that our goods are covered for Fire, Theft and Accidental Damage. Customers can take this cover through a home contents policy. We DLC to customers who did not wish to take out a home insurance policy or alternative cover.

If a customer wishes to remove DLC from any of their agreements that started prior to 2nd September 2013, they would just need to provide their local store with a copy of their home contents insurance documents.

If an agreement was taken out with BrightHouse after 2nd September 2013 we now include a similar range of benefits as a standard part of our service and it is included in the weekly price.

In other words, since 2nd September 2013, we stopped offering OSC and DLC as a result of the introduction of our comprehensive “5 Star Service” package which is now included within our cash prices.

This means that since 2nd September 2013 a BrightHouse customer doesn’t only purchase a product. They purchase our five star service promise which includes:

• Delivery and installation

• In home repairs

• Loan products where extensive work is needed

• A like for like replacement if it can’t be fixed

• Cover against accidental damage, fire and theft

– with no excess to pay

BrightHouse allows customers to change their mind at any time, with no cancellation charges, as well as providing a number of flexible options to help them manage their finances when things are tight.

Please excuse the long answer but should you want any further clarification or wish to discuss any of the above, our Customer Relations Team are available to speak to on 0800 526 069. Alternatively please email us at customer.relations@bright house.co.uk and we will always be happy to help.

Many Thanks

Jason

Web Relations Team

We were told point blank, that there was no way we could cancel this insurance policy, ((we were actually told it was not insurance but FIVE STRAR SERVICE) that was not required, or the Five Star Cover, even although they could not give a breakdown on the cost of the over all cover. They took copy of the home insurance policy but still refused to remove the insurance element built in, which was not required.

"BrightHouse allows customers to change their mind at any time, with no cancellation charges, as well as providing a number of flexible options to help them manage their finances when things are tight". SO WE CAN CANCEL IT, YES . I like to know are all these post kept, we may need them in future, legal reasons, if no how can I save them all, thanks m

I just like how BH think they are within their rights to force insurances on people that they dont want or need, as 99% of it is covered under supply of goods act and sale of goods act. I guess it just needs someone to get concrete evidence together and take them to court to get them to stop breaking regulation/guidance.

I just like how BH think they are within their rights to force insurances on people that they dont want or need, as 99% of it is covered under supply of goods act and sale of goods act. I guess it just needs someone to get concrete evidence together and take them to court to get them to stop breaking regulation/guidance.

Hi we are in the process of doing this, we have got to make sure we do it right, give them every chance to explain there policy procedures, answer complaints, supply all relevant information. If we do not get agreement on differences , do we ask for deadlock letter? I'd ask the good people on here to give us as much help as I think we are going to need.

Thats correct. Court action should be used as an absolute last resort imo. Exhaust all other avenues first, including regulatory/ombudsman usage, then you can throw the book at them. It's not a quick process by any means, it could take months to get your documents together, but it's well worth it at the end if you can convince the judge of what you are saying and what they are doing.

Thats correct. Court action should be used as an absolute last resort imo. Exhaust all other avenues first, including regulatory/ombudsman usage, then you can throw the book at them. It's not a quick process by any means, it could take months to get your documents together, but it's well worth it at the end if you can convince the judge of what you are saying and what they are doing.

The reasons I want all the info on my thread for our records, if it comes to small claims court, (who decisions are not binding) is to show the court that we have tried our best to solve this before it got there, If it does. If we are in the end successful, then the judgement could be placed on here as a template for other BRIGHTHOUSE customers with similar problems. I must emphasises, that small claims are dealt with on a individual basis, as no claims are all the same. If you can show the Judge of similar cases to yours, he my look at them but it's up to him if he gives it any weight. Court of Appeal decision may be binding, someone correct me if I'm wrong please :))

Hi Geocyper

Thank you responding to my earlier post.

Just to clarify, as I said earlier, prior to the 2 September 2013, we offered our customers DLC (Damage Liability Cover) on agreements which can be removed at any time by providing a copy of an alternative home contents policy.

Following on from 2 September 2013, we simplified our proposition to offer every customer our “5 Star Service” package which includes all the benefits of optional service cover and damage liability cover.

Kind Regards

Ann-Marie

So by your reckoning , it was optional, now you made it mandatory, whether people, need it or want it, the built in insurance. This is even when they have their own.

Edited by ims21

Hello Geocyper,

I can't see how Ann-Marie is lying as you say. I think there is confusion since the agreements before 2nd Spet 2013 the DLC and OSC was supposedly optional, and since that date Brighthouse made them compulsory whether the customer needed them or not.

I think Brighthouse did this since their customers were being encouraged to remove the OSC and DLC - with thanks to internet guidance and help from others. This was only a money making process, to make the 'insurances' compulsory.

I think you should concentrate on making a claim for the insurances paid as well as the 5 star service cover that Brighthouse has deemed compulsory.

The 5 star service that Brighthouse now offers is not that much. However, it can be seen in another thread on here that Brighthouse rep has in public denied a repair to another CAG user, Brighthouse has stated that their repair could not go ahead since that user did not have any insurance. Brighthouse have therefore in public stated that they are failing to adhere to the Sales of Goods Act / Supply Of Goods.

Further confusion could be the fact that whilst the Brighthouse reps here pay only 'lip service' and decline to comment when faced with legal facts concerning statutory legislation (eg, SOGA) - their colleagues within the store may act differently since the colleagues wages are commission based - eg, if you take off insurances, then the shop workers lose commission.

There are many people here who will help you reclaim the money back from Brighthouse.

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!

Hello Geocyper,

I can't see how Ann-Marie is lying as you say. I think there is confusion since the agreements before 2nd Spet 2013 the DLC and OSC was supposedly optional, and since that date Brighthouse made them compulsory whether the customer needed them or not.

I think Brighthouse did this since their customers were being encouraged to remove the OSC and DLC - with thanks to internet guidance and help from others. This was only a money making process, to make the 'insurances' compulsory.

I think you should concentrate on making a claim for the insurances paid as well as the 5 star service cover that Brighthouse has deemed compulsory.

The 5 star service that Brighthouse now offers is not that much. However, it can be seen in another thread on here that Brighthouse rep has in public denied a repair to another CAG user, Brighthouse has stated that their repair could not go ahead since that user did not have any insurance. Brighthouse have therefore in public stated that they are failing to adhere to the Sales of Goods Act / Supply Of Goods.

Further confusion could be the fact that whilst the Brighthouse reps here pay only 'lip service' and decline to comment when faced with legal facts concerning statutory legislation (eg, SOGA) - their colleagues within the store may act differently since the colleagues wages are commission based - eg, if you take off insurances, then the shop workers lose commission.

There are many people here who will help you reclaim the money back from Brighthouse.

Hi there, I choose my words carefully. These people who spout false information for this company. They know the misery and problems they cause poor people.

I'm sorry you disagree with this, then I beg to differ.

Edited by ims21

Thing is, technically you're not paying for the insurances anymore. By rolling it into the price of the agreement (along with ramping up the already ridiculous interest rate to levels that any company with morals would be ashamed of) they can technically say "Oh but you're not paying for the insurance, we're just giving you that for free as part of the regular price".

Basically, by it being rolled in you would pay the same price with or without the insurance.

Thing is, technically you're not paying for the insurances anymore. By rolling it into the price of the agreement (along with ramping up the already ridiculous interest rate to levels that any company with morals would be ashamed of) they can technically say "Oh but you're not paying for the insurance, we're just giving you that for free as part of the regular price".

Basically, by it being rolled in you would pay the same price with or without the insurance.

Brighthouse website states: Product with 5 Star Service. Nowhere does it state that this is free as part of the regular price... Although I guess that would be an excuse used by their commission driven sales staff within their stores.

Brighthouse, as part of the 5 star service are selling something to customers which the customer already has the benefit under statutory legislation. For example: repairs.

There is a Brighthouse thread in this forum in which the Brighthouse rep quite clearly states that someone is not entitled to a repair because they did not have Optional Service Cover attached to their purchase. This is a prime example of Brighthouse not adhering to the relevant legislation concerning repairs of items - it also serves as a prime example of how Brighthouse 'confuse' the customer into believing that the 5 Star Service Package is good, whereas in reality it offers very little benefit to the customer.

The consumer creditlink3.gif Act http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/contents

states the following:

The court may make an order under section 140B in connection with a credit agreement if it determines that the relationship between the creditor and the debtor arising out of the agreement (or the agreement taken with any related agreement) is unfair to the debtor because of one or more of the following—

(a)any of the terms of the agreement or of any related agreement;

The terms of the agreement or of any related agreement is that of the 5 Star Service Package. My opinion is that it is unfair to the debtor (average consumer) since the average consumer would believe Brighthouse in that the 5 Star Service Package is necessary should they ever need a repair on their item. In reality, the 5 Star Service Package is not necessary since if a product needs repair, the consumer is entitled to a repair under UK legislation - and not the 5 Star Package that Brighthouse have dressed up to make it appear that the customer is purchasing a guarantee. The customer is already entitled to this and therefore the related agreement is unfair to the customer.

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!

Brighthouse website states: Product with 5 Star Service. Nowhere does it state that this is free as part of the regular price... Although I guess that would be an excuse used by their commission driven sales staff within their stores.

Brighthouse, as part of the 5 star service are selling something to customers which the customer already has the benefit under statutory legislation. For example: repairs.

There is a Brighthouse thread in this forum in which the Brighthouse rep quite clearly states that someone is not entitled to a repair because they did not have Optional Service Cover attached to their purchase. This is a prime example of Brighthouse not adhering to the relevant legislation concerning repairs of items - it also serves as a prime example of how Brighthouse 'confuse' the customer into believing that the 5 Star Service Package is good, whereas in reality it offers very little benefit to the customer.

The consumer creditlink3.gif Act http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/contents

states the following:

The terms of the agreement or of any related agreement is that of the 5 Star Service Package. My opinion is that it is unfair to the debtor (average consumer) since the average consumer would believe Brighthouse in that the 5 Star Service Package is necessary should they ever need a repair on their item. In reality, the 5 Star Service Package is not necessary since if a product needs repair, the consumer is entitled to a repair under UK legislation - and not the 5 Star Package that Brighthouse have dressed up to make it appear that the customer is purchasing a guarantee. The customer is already entitled to this and therefore the related agreement is unfair to the customer.

Hi there,

I understand what you are saying! but as of last sept they had to have new agreements made up as they now come under the FCA and not the FOS, as there old agreements would have been under the spot light, as everything you had said is right! but for there old agreements,

where as there new agreements the price you pay for the goods is 3 times more than it use to be, but there is no OSC or DLC and the new agreements cover everything, i'm not sure how they have done this or how they word it in there new agreements, so there for they are not making anyone take out any linked agreements like they use to as there is none linked to the new ones, the price you pay! lets say TV cost £35 a week now! and where the same TV last year may have cost you £20

see what i'm saying! i'm not sure how they have done it, if they think someone willing pay 79% APR then they will sell items, but if not then it will not be long before they go under.

I have 5 items that i'm claiming the OSC & DLC back of them, from 2007 to 2012, its all with FOS and i'm just waiting for them to get back to me about this, but if i get no joy that way i will be taking them to court!

Hi i'm new on here but have been a brighthouse customer for 5 years (unfortunately)

what they have basically done is after realising that more and more customers were finding out that they did not need to have the osc or dlc and many were cancelling it and not taking it out on any new agreements they would have been losing a massive part of their revenue so they have obviously had to come up with a way of still charging these extortionate extra's without making it optional anymore. So we are really just getting the same deal as before except they are no longer giving you the choice of wether you want or need insurance or service cover as its now (not so cleverly hidden in their new "5 star service" they have obviously just found a legal way of now giving you no choice and making out its a package of 5 star service that you pay all this money for not just service and insurance. It doesn't matter if u need or want it as this is now the deal we sign up to. Only agreements signed before september when it was still "optional" can you still cancel. And the option they are mentioning about you cancelling is not for insurance its for the whole agreement as in you give back goods and you'll no longer owe them anything. Even though you'll have probably already paid a load of money towards it. I will never deal with them again. They could still make plenty of money without now forcing us to take what was previously optional but now just renamed it as they realised we weren't as thick as they'd previously thought. I also have issue with the fact that when my first agreement was taken out i was never asked if i wanted the osc or the dlc it was just added on. I remember the only reason i'd considered taking a laptop for my daughter out with them was that the payment was £5.99 per week which i knew was affordable for me but when she gave me the agreement to sign she rapidly mumbled that it would be 10.95 i asked why so much was told it was with the osc and dlc. I was led to believe that if i didnt take it out i'd be refused credit and my daughter was standing next to me so i didn't have the heart to back out of it. I only realised when i'd almost paid it in full that i didn't need it

and of course laptop then broke the following week. Sorry this is so long. Elaina

Hi all, as stated before, we put two complaints into BrightHouse. We got letter today not upholding our complaint, did not even mention what we complained about. In last paragraph, that under their complaints procedure, that this is there final response.

I take it we can now ask for deadlock letter? We will still respond to their lack of investigation, for the record.:violin:

If they stated it is their final response, then that is the deadlock letter. next step, FOS or court. I would use court as an absolute last step, but FOS are very backlogged right now.