Will my B/F moving in affect my ESA?

THNX4THT
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3664 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm in the process of claiming ESA as a single parent, not that I know if that makes a difference as my daughters now 16. If my partner was to move in with me, how would this affect my claim for ESA? His ESA has just been turned down and he's had to claim JSA as he's trying to appeal. I know this doesn't look good for trying to appeal, but he has to live on something whilst the appeal is being processed. I have been told he could claim Income Support whilst waiting, but he was under the impression, along with the Job Centre (who have told him the same) that Income Support no longer exists,

Hi there!

I'm not so sure if there's any difference with your daughter, but I was receiving JSA and then moved in with my partner (ESA). We called the ESA and received a change of circumstances form some days after, filled this out and then got paid the couple rate (both under 25, so its around 113 pound/week). I only had to bring back my sign-on-booklet to my jobcenter.

Hi there!

I'm not so sure if there's any difference with your daughter, but I was receiving JSA and then moved in with my partner (ESA). We called the ESA and received a change of circumstances form some days after, filled this out and then got paid the couple rate (both under 25, so its around 113 pound/week). I only had to bring back my sign-on-booklet to my jobcenter.

Thanks for the info :) You mentioned you got the couple rate. Did you mean couple rate of ESA or couple rate of JSA? If my partner moved in, he could claim Carers Allowance for me, as I get middle rate care with DLA. Mind you this is all very much in the future and depending on the next Goverment, this could all be different by then. Oh dont you just love it when theres a change over and it gets all confusing again !

Income Support no longer exists for those with an illness or disability that restricts their ability to work. Such people must now claim ESA.

However, it is available to those with caring responsibilities - that is, those in receipt of Carer's Allowance. Note, though, that only one member of a couple can claim an income related benefit, so either you could continue your ESA claim as a couple, or you could stop your ESA claim and he would claim IS as your carer. In terms of the amount of money you'd get, there's not much difference either way, but it's probably less hassle to claim IS than to claim ESA.

I believe, but am not 100% sure, that IS can be paid while the claimant is waiting for a decision about Carers Allowance - it doesn't actually have to be in payment.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Oh, sorry, meant to add - regarding amounts of money - that if a person claiming ESA is placed in the WRAG or SG then the couple would be better off on ESA than on IS, I think.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Oh, sorry, meant to add - regarding amounts of money - that if a person claiming ESA is placed in the WRAG or SG then the couple would be better off on ESA than on IS, I think.

But the disability premium is a bit more than the WRAG component. The disability premium is payable to anyone on income based benefits who receives any rate of DLA / registered blind.