UK Student Loan - advice pls for an Expat in NZ

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3648 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I took out a new style student loan (in '99/2000), which I was paying (slowly) through PAYE, before I moved to New Zealand around 6 and a bit years ago.

I have, since making this move, received no further contact on this - despite having a forwarding address at a previous UK address.

I have, however, just received a Final Notification letter to my current address in New Zealand from SLC informing me they plan to pass my debt to a debt collector unless I pay 1300 pounds of arrears in the next 21 days.

As stated this is my first contact from them.

I therefore be really grateful for advice on the following:

1) Could this debt by Statute Barred (have read in some places these new style loans were 12yrs rather than standard 6 yrs)?

2) how actively can they pursue me in NZ?

I have no plans to return to the Uk and no UK assets.

I am not altogether unwilling to start payments for my loan, but certainly wouldn’t be able to afford the repayment rates as represented on the SLC site for overseas payment and think the arrears seem somewhat unfair.

If I know my position I'll be able to decide how to proceed.

If I can get this Statue Barred, as I am in NZ I'd think they would struggle to take payment from PAYE so I could presumably determine my own repayment rate on this with no comeback.

If they are unable to successfully/actively pursue me in NZ it will affect my bargaining power

should I decide to attempt to agree a payment schedule with SLC.

As yet, I haven’t responded to this and have made no contact (or payment) for over 6 yrs.

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks.

I dont think student loans can be Statute Barred, certain regulation prevents this.

If this does go to Erudio then, prepare yourself because they are a vile lot.!!

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Thanks. I'd certainly prefer to avoid it getting to them then!

Yeah, its hard to get any clear info on the Statue barred thing, a lot of seemingly conflicting info out there. Some seem to suggest it could be still apply but payments can still be taken from PAYE, which wouldnt affect me I dont think...

Does anyone know how a now overseas debt like this can be pursued?

Cheers