Credit Card Debt in Australia

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3693 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have a 12,000 AUD credit card debt in Australia while I was leaving the country back in 2006. I was making regular payments for 2 years but did not pay anything after I left. Ever since I left the country I have not heard a word from the bank or any other authority. However, now I need to apply for another visa for another country and I need a police clearance certificate from Australia National Police.

Although this is not a criminal offence, I want to know what will be the outcome of my police clearance?

I am hearing that the case can be forwarded to the police and can be recorded as a fraud. how does statutory limitation work in this case? its been almost 8 years since I left the country and made any payment. Please advice what is my status as per the law.

If debt is not a criminal offence then there wont be anything on your criminal record about it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Assuming that there is no court judgement on this debt, it will have been stat barred under NSW legislation two years ago (i.e. 6 yrs after your last payment or written acknowledgement of the debt).

As above, even if there is a court judgement, this is a civil matter and therefore will not be picked up on any police search.

It is very unlikely that your actions could be interpreted as fraud since you made repayments on this debt for two years.