Please help - MKDP claimform Barclaycard 'debt' - and time limits

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3424 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Any DQ filed after 22nd April 2014 no longer requires a fee.

My apologies, I wasnt aware of this..thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

Is that why the initial issue fee is now so expensive ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

My apologies, I wasnt aware of this..thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

Is that why the initial issue fee is now so expensive ?

Yes. That's the logic behind scrapping the DQ fee.

Hello Andyorc,

Thank you for the reply and information. I did think there must be some power in the CPR 31.14, or the 7 day time-scale. I know under CPR 16.5.4 they have to prove the money is owed, but there is

no need for any proof or backing to their claim at all before an actual court date? And I have no way of compelling them to even prove it's a valid claim?.

This is what angers me, they know they should not have bought the case without the documentation, but they did it anyway, and are happy to drag it out for ages, and go right up to the court date, without lifting a finger or providing any backing to their claim. So now I will have thing hanging over me for the rest of the year, and they continue to abuse the system without penalty? I can't even hit them with substantial costs due to being a litigant in person.

Thank you for the help, sorry I just get so angry when the system is abused like this and they get away with it, however if the defendant makes a slight mistake, or misses a strict deadline the claimant wins. Essentially anyone could randomly decide to take someone to court for no reason, put them through a year of stress, then just pull out or not turn up on the day.

I really thought there must be some check or safeguard to be sure they have based their claim on something, it's a little worrying the system is so unbalanced in this way.

Maybe I should hire a law firm, at least they will get hit by costs when it gets to court,

Thank you, sorry for the rant!.

What they rely upon in a lot of claims is your agreement to enter into mediation through the court system and that you'll agree to make payment, that way they can add on the issue fees to the claim and get an agreement that you'll pay (win - win for the). That way they avoid having to produce the required documentation as they get the money without it ever getting to the hearing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

Sorry for the lack of updates, I am not sure what to do now, any help is welcome.

Everything has been moving very slowly - and MKDP seem to be delaying for time by filling in any paperwork and such at the last minute. Both parties selected mediation, however despite MKDP selecting mediation they could not find a suitable date for themselves (I was flexible with dates).

They have paid the Fee to continue with their claim.

I have received an order from the district judge in my local county court ordering that the claim is allocated to the small claims track and both parties are referred to part 27 of the CPR and practice directions., They have stated there will be a preliminary hearing. and that this will be a private hearing to establish the outstanding issues in the case, if there is any possibility of a settlement, and what documents or statements will be required for the trial of the case.

I have a few questions,

1. Should I be making any requests or filing any forms at this stage (Such as request for disclosure of documents). They have never replied to my CPR request or provided anything I requested - should I bring this up?.

2. What should I bring to this preliminary hearing - and is there some way I cans top this case going all the way to a trial, considering they appear to have none of the required documents or paperwork to substantiate their claim in the first place.

It seems quite clear in my opinion that they are just going through the motions to keep the case active and drag it out as long as possible, without actually having to supply any documents. I would guess in the hope that I either settle or miss a letter or court date which would allow them to get default judgement.

What should I do now?

Thanks,

hereigo

Attend your hearing ...raise the matter of any unfulfilled CPR/CCA requests...let the court direct disclosure..They will have to disclose anyway if they proceed to trial so they cant avoid it.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I need some help, I have followed all the advice up till now with my defence, and s.78/31.14, but MKDP have continued with the case, and ignored my cpr 31.14. The preliminary hearing took place not long ago, the person representing MKDP seemed very confident (and appeared to be talking a lot of nonsense!) commenting that they don't bother keeping agreements, and never lose cases!.

They have provided printouts of various terms and statement from a few dates, some of the terms are illegible and the terms are about four pages long with some dated 1998 and some 2010. (there is no way the conditions were there on signing) They do not have the original agreement. I do not believe I ever signed an agreement, perhaps I signed just an application form, I do not recall.

The hearing is coming up soon, and being Xmas I can't even get legal help from Solicitors, and I only have a few days to create a witness statement as the 14 days includes Xmas I assume?., Is the track I have been following still valid, which is as the account is pre-2007, S.127(3) applies, and as per Carey V HSBC a reconstituted agreement is not sufficient in this case and so on (in line with my defence and other documents included in my earlier posts.

Has something changed, what are my chances of success?, they seem to just be bluffing their way through the system, ignoring

any requests and hoping they can talk their way through the hearing.

It's come to the end of the road and since they seem to ignore the law I am worried they will win,

just by being more confident and full of it.

Please advise,

Thanks,

hereigo

Nothings changed you are still on the right track...have you received their witness statements and disclosures.....? have they disclosed the agreement?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your reply and help.

About the 14 day time-frame to file a witness statement, is it 14 days before the hearing, regardless of holidays or when the court is open? If the court receives it 14 days before, via fax for example, but they are closed, for example on Xmas day, does that still count?.

I need a bit longer to sort everything out and want to be sure it's sent in time.

Thank you for your reply. I am waiting for their witness statement. The documents they hold appear to be ones Barclaycard sent in response to an older S.78 request - I am guessing this is what they are going to court with.

I can't make heads or tails of it, two pages are of terms and conditions which appear to be dated from 1998, many of them not legible. Then they seemed to have mixed in some pages of terms from 2010, (which also mentions it's an agreement?.

They also have a basic statement.

I have no idea what these are supposed to be, an application form? random terms they found lying around? How can it be taken from the original when the document refers to it as a copy, but there would have had to have been an agreement for them to have sent a copy... ok getting confused now, I have attached the documents in PDF format - and below.

Please let me know what exactly the provided documents pass for in court (if anything).

I have attached these documents put together into one PDF (attached) I also

link to the documents below.

Thanks.

I am not aware of receiving a DEFAULT NOTICE from Barclaycard,

although have vague recollection of receiving one from DC Mercers

which I understand would not be valid.

MKDP did not provide one when requested in my CPR 31.14.

Can they proceed to court without a default notice?

Thats a reconstituted version as confirmed in their response...fine for a section 78 request but not for enforcing purposes...the original will be required as this agreement is pre 2007.

With regards to Xmas Holiday the court only allows 1 day ...that being Boxing Day...Christmas day is included as a day.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again Andy.

I am not sure what to do now, I have sent my witness statement in on time,

but they seem to get away with ignoring everything, what can I do to hold them to account?

They have not delivered a witness statement to me or the court on time, this is on top of ignoring my defence, and CPR 31.14 request, providing no default notice what so ever, and providing zero response to any of the other issues raised,(I could go on).

I understood it was very important to file Witness statements on time, but they just ignore the rules?

I should at least be able to have their witness statement 14 before and review it so I can work on my defence?.

The problem is the hearing is very soon, and on the day they might try and bluff their way through, and thanks to them ignoring all the rules I will be at a disadvantage with them putting their statement in at the last minute (or even on the day, if at all), and they may just side with the para-legal if they are unsure. (Based on the preliminary hearing, the para-legal talked a load of nonsense)

What should I be doing now, and exactly how should I raise the issues at the hearing, there are so many problems with their case that I would not know where to begin.

Thanks

In the event that any party does not comply with the court directions...you have recourse to inform the court and ask they impose sanctions...this could include striking their claim out.To action this you need to submit an application (N244) there is a fee without hearing of £55.

Regards

Andy