Victim of a spoof job advert on gumtree - help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3700 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I`m wondering if anyone can help me?

I lost my job in January and with bills to pay have been desperately applying for a new one.

I saw an ad on Gumtree for a personal assistant job, which I applied for and got.

It turns out I think this is a [problem] as I was sent a cheque to run some errands for someone away on business,

after I deposited the cheque into my bank account I was then asked to send £200 cash via moneygram as part of an errand to someone in South Africa.

This is when I realized it was a [problem],

I have not sent any money via moneygram, but am worried about the cheque I deposited as I think it will bounce.

I payed the cheque in to my account on Thursday and was told it will clear next Wednesday,

apart from going back to my bank and asking them to stop processing the cheque/ stop the cheque clearing is there anything else I can do?

Can the bank stop the cheque before it clears?

pers i'd be contacting actionfraud

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

have you used the money?

in other words you don't 'owe' because of this spoof?

dx

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Mathieu

You need to report the matter to Action Fraud. Also send them a snapshot of the Ad, inform the bank as to what has happened, as you have unwittingly got involved in something, I'm not sure what, but it does sound very suspect.

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud_protection/employment_fraud

Thread moved to correct forum.

Ive used £10 to buy a mothers day present the cheque was for £750 but I already had £400 in my account at the time I deposited the cheque, so my balance is still showing £390 at the moment, so i`m not sure if that means Ive "used the money" or the money from what I already had??!!

As long as you never go below +£750 in your a/c you will not have spent the money or a portion of it ;)

You can stop a cheque that you write but not one you pay in- as soon as the bank holds it they must put it somewhere.

Hi mathieu

I shouldn't think so, just be upfront as to what has happened, they should treat you sympathetically. If you get any problems from the 'situation', let us know on this thread, watch out for any bank charges, again let us know on this thread.

Okay, will I get into trouble with my own bank over this?

They should report the matter to the police, I don't think they will close your account. Your actually a victim (although no loss of monies) if I'm correct in what I think has happened.

will my bank close my account down? or report me to the police?

okay what is the best way to explain all this to my bank without them being angry with me? I still have the receipt for depositing the cheque will this help the bank at all?

Hi mathieu

Why would they be angry with you? Write everything that has happened in list form, go to the bank, speak to the Customer Service person, go through the list, nothing too it. Take the receipt and a snapshot of the Gumtree ad with you to help you explain.

okay what is the best way to explain all this to my bank without them being angry with me? I still have the receipt for depositing the cheque will this help the bank at all?

When you talk to Customer Services, seek reassurance as the status of your account, it's pointless worrying about it.

Halifax bank, this is my only bank account I have, I`m worried that I have to pay my rent next week by cheque and the bank might close my account down so I cant pay my rent or bills

Okay thanks, i`m still abut confused as the cheque hasnt cleared yet, would I still be able to spend money in my account to buy groceries? or would that be taking money from the £750 cheque amount?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D