Caught by ticket inspector at station, I have a ticket but one stop short - ** SETTLED **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3707 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I know there are many similar threads out there but please help me with this. I am a non-EU and English is not my native language so please excuse me if there are language/grammar mistakes.

I lived in A, and traveled from London to B (which is one stop before A) with a valid ticket. I was planning to stop there and meet my friend, therefore I got on a train that terminated at B . But during my journey plan changed so I got off at B and got on the next train back to A. THEN ...... I have made the silliest mistake not going to the ticket office to buy another ticket for the rest of my journey and simply thought I could get one later when I arrived at A. I now learnt it was wrong, should never ever done so and will never ever do it again.

At station A, there were inspectors and they checked my ticket and asked me some questions. I explained the situation and asked them if I can pay up the difference or get a ticket now, they say no and asked for my name/address and fill in a form with some simple notes.. then my ticket was taken never returned back to me. I was very panicked and just signed on the form when I was asked, and forgot even read that form( but i am sure it was only a few words ) so I can not remember what exactly was on it !

I asked the inspector what will happen then , they said I will received a letter and don't ignore it and I may end up paying about £50-100 fine, but just a guess, not up to them. the inspectors are from Chiltern.

I went home in panic and tears, started searching online for similar cases, after reading some threads I really started to worried now.

1. I understand from other people's cases, that they were sent a letter asking for explanation and the best situation will be a out of court settlement. I saw some posts saying different train companies may handle differently by different scheme. Does anyone know how Chiltern railway handle this?

2. I started to worried what if the letter got lost during delivery and never come??( the address and name I gave them is true) Is there any way I can find out or contact them to check if my case is in process?

3. Please any advice or idea I may be facing due to this stupid mistake? I have always being very good, no trouble with laws at all in the past. I feel very guilty and regretted every second.

Thank you in advance.

Yo.

From Chiltern's website:

In the 6 months ending October 2007, Chiltern Railways successfully prosecuted 190 people for fare evasion. They all received criminal records. £38,564.80 was paid by offenders in fines, legal costs and compensation.

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/tickets-and-fares/penalty-fares

They appear robust in their approach.

It's a very straight forward case; possession of a ticket for a portion of your journey is not sufficient as you realise. To be valid, it must be for the entirety of your journey.

When did these events occur? They use the Prosecutions office of a larger railway company, so you will be unlikely to hear anything from them for at least four to eight weeks.

You will receive a letter from them.

Do not ignore it.

That will be your opportunity to discuss the matter with them- and with us, as it is foolish to advise before knowing what precisely to advise on.

Viz:

It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence
I.e., what exactly the Inspector has reported you for and what you are likely to be charged with.

Until then do nothing.

Hi Grotesque , thank you for your reply.

I will not ignore the letter if I received it and I will response as soon as possible.

What I am worrying is, what if this letter never came through my door? reason I said this it is that the post around my area sometimes can be quite random, I have some post belong to other people on the same street sent to my door. I just hope this letter will come to me then at least I will know what exactly I am facing by then.

shall I then contact them if I did not get such a letter 6-8 weeks after the events ?

And a very silly question, what kind of content will be in this letter normally?

Thanks again

Hi Grotesque , thank you for your reply.

I will not ignore the letter if I received it and I will response as soon as possible.

What I am worrying is, what if this letter never came through my door? reason I said this it is that the post around my area sometimes can be quite random, I have some post belong to other people on the same street sent to my door. I just hope this letter will come to me then at least I will know what exactly I am facing by then.

Normally these letters will outline the alleged offence and will give you an opportunity to explain your version of what happened.

Did you give your exactly correct name & address? If so there should be no problem getting your mail.

If you did not, and if you are a regular traveller, the inspector might think you gave false details to avoid a letter. In which case, if you are a regular traveller you may be recognised the next time you came across him.

Normally these letters will outline the alleged offence and will give you an opportunity to explain your version of what happened.

Did you give your exactly correct name & address? If so there should be no problem getting your mail.

If you did not, and if you are a regular traveller, the inspector might think you gave false details to avoid a letter. In which case, if you are a regular traveller you may be recognised the next time you came across him.

I have got the letter now. A standard letter to me, I am been reported to trqvel between London and A without a valid ticket. They mentioned both laws in the lette, the byelaw 2005 ,or railway act.

What should I reply ? Please help. I am really panicked. I planned to change my career direction and has worked on it so hard for the last two years. If I went to court I can see no possibility for me to go down that route at all as,it will request a enhanced DBS.

I feel so regretful for my stupid mistake!

I was reported for "a journey between xx and xx for which I showed no valid ticket."

below are from the letter:

The purpose of this letter is to advise you of the proposee action and to provide the opportunity for any mitigation that you wish to be considered....

The report of this incident indicates that sufficient evidence does exist to warrant a prosecution in accordence with current legislation. This file is presently with our prosecution team who are consider ing whether to issue a summons for inclusion in a forthcoming Magistrate court list. These considerations may include whether any charge should be allege an offence against railway byelaws or, railways act."

I can not stop worrying. From the moment I learnt that I was wrong, i have been having some sleepless nights.

As i mentioned before English is not my native language so I dont know whether my language or even the way i express my regret will be proper to them. Please help me. Thank you.

I was reported for "a journey between xx and xx for which I showed no valid ticket."

below are from the letter:

The purpose of this letter is to advise you of the proposee action and to provide the opportunity for any mitigation that you wish to be considered....

The report of this incident indicates that sufficient evidence does exist to warrant a prosecution in accordence with current legislation. This file is presently with our prosecution team who are consider ing whether to issue a summons for inclusion in a forthcoming Magistrate court list. These considerations may include whether any charge should be allege an offence against railway byelaws or, railways act."

I can not stop worrying. From the moment I learnt that I was wrong, i have been having some sleepless nights.

As i mentioned before English is not my native language so I dont know whether my language or even the way i express my regret will be proper to them. Please help me. Thank you.

You need to write an apologetic letter and offer to pay any administrative costs.

Yes, 1stclx as usual sums up your only course of action neatly.

Explain to them, if you can with clear conscience, that a prosecution would have disproportionately negative consequences for you. They want their money back; they might even want to make an example of you; but they do not want to damage someone's life irretrievably.

Good luck. Yo, presentin'.

Thank you for your reply guys. I have drafted the letter.just two questions:

Should I explain the situation on that day in details or just keep it very briefly?

Any advices how I should word the' offer to pay fee ' part in a appropriate way? Or at least what i should avoid saying?

Please help, thank you.

Thank you for your reply guys. I have drafted the letter.just two questions:

Should I explain the situation on that day in details or just keep it very briefly?

Any advices how I should word the' offer to pay fee ' part in a appropriate way? Or at least what i should avoid saying?

Please help, thank you.

Hello again.

The usual advice is to be honest, put your side of events and don't waffle. Explaining the error of their ways to the TOC or criticising their staff member doesn't go down well either. :)

I believe Old-CodJA usually suggests asking if they will allow you to pay the fare due and their reasonable admin expenses, hopefully someone will confirm. I wouldn't personally use the word 'fee' and certainly not 'fine'.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello again.

The usual advice is to be honest, put your side of events and don't waffle. Explaining the error of their ways to the TOC or criticising their staff member doesn't go down well either. :)

I believe Old-CodJA usually suggests asking if they will allow you to pay the fare due and their reasonable admin expenses, hopefully someone will confirm. I wouldn't personally use the word 'fee' and certainly not 'fine'.

HB

Thank you HB. No I am not trying to waffle. in fact the reason I asked this is trying to avoid to look like I waffle in my letter. I am not going to put any error to thier staff either. But am I ok to say : I asked if I could pay up the difference or get a new ticket now, and it was refused.

I did ask this, and was told no as they have no facilities to give penalty at that moment. Does this sound like I try to blame them?

Thank you HB. No I am not trying to waffle. in fact the reason I asked this is trying to avoid to look like I waffle in my letter. I am not going to put any error to thier staff either. But am I ok to say : I asked if I could pay up the difference or get a new ticket now, and it was refused.

I did ask this, and was told no as they have no facilities to give penalty at that moment. Does this sound like I try to blame them?

Nor here either. However, it's not relevant; stick to what you want to happen now and why that is also best for the company. There is absolutely no point in reminding them (if they need reminding) that you only offered to pay for a ticket after being stopped, is there!

The point is, that this is the time to be making such an offer- that wasn't!

Nor here either. However, it's not relevant; stick to what you want to happen now and why that is also best for the company. There is absolutely no point in reminding them (if they need reminding) that you only offered to pay for a ticket after being stopped, is there!

The point is, that this is the time to be making such an offer- that wasn't!

Thank you Grotesque for your advice. Ok so i should not mention this in my letter then. I really just want to apologize for my error in this letter and hope they will accept. I do want to mention the consequence that will affect my life if i went to court (which is all ture), will that be ok to say that?

Why that is also best for the company→ please excuse me being thick, for them is less paperwork and less hassle . Am i thinking on the right track?

Thank you Grotesque for your advice. Ok so i should not mention this in my letter then. I really just want to apologize for my error in this letter and hope they will accept. I do want to mention the consequence that will affect my life if i went to court (which is all ture), will that be ok to say that?

Yes absolutely, in other words the consequences of your (example "foolish and thoughtless") actions will unduly and disproportionately impact on your life.

Why that is also best for the company→ please excuse me being thick, for them is less paperwork and less hassle . Am i thinking on the right track?

Yes, and whether it is possible for them to consider that it is not in their best interests to prosecute? But don't tell them that they should have better things to be doing with their time!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,thanks again fo your help. I have sent out my reply last Monday by recorded mail. I still haven't heard from them. Do you think it is ok to call them to just check if my letter arrived on time?

Hi guys, I have received a letter today.

They are considering the Railways Act 1889.S5.3.a. It mentioned "When asked to show a valid ticket, it is alleged that you failed to do so and that you had failed to pay the appropriate fare due in accordance with the rules in force. This left the inspector no alternative but to report the incident" and asked me to comment within 14days.

What shall I do now? In my previous letter to them, I have apologized and offer to pay,I have also stated the negative impact on my life. what else I shuld say now? I really have No intention not to pay the fare, as I thought I could pay at my destination and as I mentioned before I asked the staff but they said no. I deleted this part from my letter as per an advice here so now what shall I do....

please help. I really can not imagine having a criminal record , I rather die!

Now is the time for such letters to be perhaps more emphatic, now you know what your alleged offence is. For example, it would have been hypothetically unreasonable to inform them that their decision could damage your prospects, when neither you nor them knew what that decision would be! But now- So: resend the letter with a little tweaking. It is good you took advice though.

Now is the time for such letters to be perhaps more emphatic, now you know what your alleged offence is. For example, it would have been hypothetically unreasonable to inform them that their decision could damage your prospects, when neither you nor them knew what that decision would be! But now- So: resend the letter with a little tweaking. It is good you took advice though.

Thank you for your reply.Really appreciated. I actually have a question here. Even though I took the advice and deleted the part about me asked to pay.But to be honest,I dont fully understand why this can not be mentioned. I was not stopped by anyone, I showed them my ticket first and was redirected to another member then being questioned(I stated this truely in my previous letter to them). Thats when i asked if I can pay up the difference or get a new ticket. The station is a fully gated one,there is no way (or at least I never spent time to find out if there is any other way) to leave the station without a ticket. Unless you jumped over the gate which I never ever even imagine.

In the paperwork they sent me, they mentioned about the out of court will not be considered if the intent not to pay is evident. I really thought i could get a ticket at my destination, and there is no way i could not leave the station without a ticket anyway! Should i mention this time now?

Yes but it's never good form and mention that 'I could've jumped over the gate' or 'followed someone through' etc when you write to them, it might appear to indicate that you considered it a course of action!!! -even though of course you didn't. Know wot I mean.

Yes but it's never good form and mention that 'I could've jumped over the gate' or 'followed someone through' etc when you write to them, it might appear to indicate that you considered it a course of action!!! -even though of course you didn't. Know wot I mean.

No, I dont mean this part. I mean why cant I mentioned that I asked the member of staff if I could pay the ticket difference or get a new ticket. As I mentioned , I show them my ticket first, they did not stop me. At least this showed that I did want to pay my journey?

I know that I should have got a ticket before I jumpped on the next train, but I really thought I could get a ticket at the staion when I arrived (I know it is wrong now) . There is no way I can get out of the station if I dont have a correct ticket so why wouldnt I wanted to get one....

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, an update now.

After the 2nd letter to them , a long wait ans panic, I have received their response. they agreed to settle it with £96 admin cost.

All sorted and thank all the people who gave me advices here.