Scottish CurrysPCWorld Refuse Laptop Refund

ScottishConsumer
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3744 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Im live in Scotland and looking for some advice.

I bought a new laptop today. I thought it would be a brilliant new laptop to replace my old one. So I reserved one online then went to the curryspcworld store to get it.

However I found that after trying to use it for 2 hours it felt horrible to use, with the touchscreen and keyboard.

The only things I did in the end with it, was connect it to the internet wirelessly and go through the setup process in order to be able to use it. 2 thigs which are easy to reset, I've been told.

When I tried to take it back, explaining that it felt horrible to use I was refused a refund. They said this was due to personal data now being on the PC and then to the packagaing no longer being sealed. A pc name and a name for an windows account is not personal data.

Please can someone advise me on what I can do to get me refund?

Thanks in advance.

wrong!!

you can totally cancel within 14 days under DSR rules

as you ordered online.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I suspect a silly store rep told you this and not the management. Currys/pc world staff are laughable at best and are normally uni students or jobseekers working for free. Or at least thats how it is in the Chester/Cheshire Oaks stores.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I think it does as it wa ordered online

however, whichever way it is looked at

the item is within 14 days of purchase however it was purchased.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

yep , payment is they key here and reserved...places doubt it was paid for online

i'd like to think a large high street store would accommodate the customer in these instances mind.

I also wont if section 75 or chargeback plays a part too

but I think not.

dx

and they

op clearly stated reserve online > collect in store. this is not dsr issue.

its customer not happy with product. even though they collect in store- could have inspected display models before purchasing.

its been opened and switched on, but not faulty, why should any retailer accept goods back just because people dont know how to use it? unless its faulty its diff story

yep , payment is they key here and reserved...places doubt it was paid for online

i'd like to think a large high street store would accommodate the customer in these instances mind.

I also wont if section 75 or chargeback plays a part too

but I think not.

dx

While it would be nice for it to be customer accomodating i have no doubt any return would be charged to the store account and not head office, so your relying on the managers mood

having said that the pcworld store DOES allow for collected goods to be paid for online before hand so that might be a gray area

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Thought you would like to know the outcome.

The result if this is that I will not be given a refund or a swap for a laptop that is more physically comfortable to use for me, after speaking to 2 very patronising members staff.

I'm now left with having to sell it on or keep it.

I know if I sell it I won't get near what I paid for it, but thems the breaks.

I bought an Acer Aspire P3. Though it would be great but unfortunately not so for me, but probably ace for someone else.

Will just have to chalk it up to experience as you say and be a lot more careful in the future.

Due to the patronising way I was spoken to by 2 members of staff though I will never be returning to PC World. Pity because when I bought my old laptop 10 years ago they had great members of staff. I even saw a member of staff talk down to an old lady yesterday!

Keep it. Get yourself a wireless mouse and keyboard then comfort don't come into it.

If you sell it you won't get near what you paid for it.

The same as we do here use a wireless mousse, you had very little to no chance with an argument of that nature, bad as saying the seat on the aircraft was not firm enough for me ! result would be xxxx oxx

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

OP

if you went to any retailer and seen a product (laptop) and being charged at full price, and then you know tht someone else used it, etc how would you feel?

not everyone would be happy with this, so they would expect a discount , a very heavy one indeed. why would any retailer accept a return on a used item, and just because the customer doesnt like it?

i think pcw made right choice, and any other retailer would probably make same..

JL return policy It's important that any unwanted item, unless faulty, is returned in a re-saleable condition. We'd expect this to mean that you've kept all original packaging and labels, and that it's undamaged and unused

Argos return policy Most things we sell are covered by our 30-day money-back guarantee, so just return them to us unused, in their original undamaged packaging, in a saleable condition, with your receipt and we’ll give you a refund.

and in your situation with pcw and currys, very simular to above, but its 21 days.

if every retailer did decide to return used items (and not faulty), then all would prob end up like comet ..

sorry but from a consumers point of view - which is what CAG is about

I don't agree with some of the negative things being implied here

which all seem from 'company' stalwarts.......

if this WERE a DSR issue then the Op could have returned it without question for a full refund.

regardless of boxes opened etc or usage.

as all you guys in the trade know

theres an old joke about TINY computers

you used to buy them and then things would go wrong or you didn't get what you wanted

they then operated a policy which resulted in the name meaning :

Tough Its Now Yours.!!

we like to think big companies today would have a little bit more empathy

toward customers like this OP and their issue

rather than what appears to be going on in this thread.

CAG is here to help

if you cant, 'help' other than by towing the 'company line'

one wonders some posters motives here

dx

and they

But it's not a dsr issue is it dx? surely if it's not then its our duty to advise accordingly, not every poster on cag gets to hear what they want to and sometimes you have to advise accordingly.

Or should I just post saying to write to the CEO and don't give up? That won't help the op in this case. Facts are facts and I always advise based on those facts, across all the sub forums.

See if you read that link I posted, you will see trading standards agree with my answer, are they not for the consumer either?

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Thought you would like to know the outcome.

The result if this is that I will not be given a refund or a swap for a laptop that is more physically comfortable to use for me, after speaking to 2 very patronising members staff.

I'm now left with having to sell it on or keep it.

I don't get it if yo buy a laptop that's what you get a laptop.

Hi ScottishConsumer

Below are the 'terms and conditions' that apply. It clearly states that it's also at the discretion of the Manager. You could go to store 'x' the manager might say 'no', you could go to store 'z' the manager might say 'yes'.

Write to the Store Manager, hand delivery it, ask him to use his discretion to replace/refund in this matter, explain that the 'T & C's' on their website state that he has the authority to do so. Let us know what he says.

'Our contract after you have ordered

Firstly, don’t panic if you make any mistakes during your order, you can correct any input errors right up until you confirm payment. Once you’re happy everything is correct and you’ve submitted an order you’ll be given an Order Reference Number and details of the products (and/or services) you have ordered. You’ll then receive an email headed ‘Order Acknowledgement’ recognising receipt of your order. We will then send a further email headed ‘Order Confirmation’ and this is when our contract with you begins. This second email also lets you know how your products will be delivered to you. If we have to cancel all or part of your order for any reason, we will email you to let you know. If you choose our Reserve and Collect service you will be given a reference number and details of your order. You will not be asked to pay until you collect the goods from your chosen store.

Because all Reserve & Collect sales take place in our stores, sales are subject to the normal in-store terms of sale, statutory rights and the Manager''s discretion. Just take your Reserve & Collect print out and/or reference number with you and our store will sell you the goods at the website price or store price, whichever is cheaper.

Sometimes we have to hold our hands up and admit we have made a mistake by unintentionally publishing inaccurate information on the site (e.g. the price, description or availability of a product you have ordered). In this instance we may have to cancel your order at any time up to the point we send you the product(s), even if you have received your Order Confirmation email, and you will receive a full refund of any charges already paid.'

Thanks for stating the obvious.:shock:

Please tell me about a laptop that is more physically comfortable to use I will buy one

Matt.

I wonder if Scottish consumer was directed towards the in-store models to try out, the availability of employees to ask questions or to demonstrate the product, or was the actual product on display, sometimes there are gaps.

I guess that is why the laptops are laid out in the shop for everyone to try before they buy. One of the main reasons there is still a need for bricks and mortar shops up and down the country.