Cheque Handling Fees

autumn53
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3719 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi friends,

I have been trying to find information on the forum about Barclays' cheque handling fees but most threads are very old or unresolved.

I would like to know what is the latest on reclaiming Cheque Handling Fees. Can I reclaim them?

Thanks

Hi Autumn,

Can you tell from the statements, or do you know, why the fees were applied.

When were these chgs incurred roughly.

You could also ask in the branch to see if they know.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

1. Can you tell from the statements, or do you know, why the fees were applied.

Answer : Yes, these appear on my Mastercard and Visa Credit Card statements every time I have written a cheque or withdrawn cash from an ATM.

2. When were these chgs incurred roughly.

Answer : From 1996 till date on both cards.

3. You could also ask in the branch to see if they know.

Answer : This will not be required as I have all my statements and know it myself.

Hi Autumn,

Are you talking here about the cheques that BC send out for you to make a cheque payment for something and then it's charged direct to your BC a/c ?

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Noted.

What amounts have BC charged when you've used these cheques.

Ok I will prepare and attach here a spreadsheet tonight. Showing charges applied to both the cards each time I did a Cash Withdrawal, Overseas Cash Withdrawal or wrote a cheque out.

But,

1. I have only used the cheque book 'once' so far for an amount of £1500/- for which I was charged a fee of £22.50. Never used the service apart from this cheque I wrote for a friend who needed the cash urgently. Also, I did not have a cheque book for my MASTERCARD.

2. All other charges that I have incurred are for Cash Advance towards ATM Cash Withdrawals. That too on both the Cards - Visa and Mastercard. Typical example : £6 Cash Advance Fee towards an ATM Cash Withdrawal of £300/-

Hi Autumn,

The single charge for £22.50 is not likely to be reclaimable IMHO.

Similarly, I don't think you'll get the ATM fees back for cash withdrawals. :sad:

Have people tried to claim these Cash Advance Fees in the past? Although, I do not see any traces of that in the forum here.

Is it ok for a consumer to complain to the Bank and ask for the money back? I might try for just a blind shot in case there is a very very slim chance.

Hi Autumn,

I'm not aware of any successes with reclaims of this nature and I've ben here quite a while ! If others know better, I'm sure they'll chip in and comment.

You've already seen that there's nothing to lose by complaining, and plenty to gain. Try it if you want, as long as you realise the chance of success is limited.

1 Have they broken any laws, or breached any guidelines by any governing bodies or ombudsmen? Such as BCOBS or FSA or FOS guidelines?

2 Can my request for refund state the time period they are being given to act upon this plus my intentions to pursue this matter with the FOS?

Thanks