Primark Problem

Kelkeep
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6382 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I used my visa electron to pay for goods in Primark on the 20th October and when I checked my statement online today I noticed they debited the same amount again 3 days later :confused: Now I know they realised their mistake as they put the money back into my account on the 25th October but in the between time the bank charged me £30 as the second amount debited took me overdrawn. I approached the bank about this charge today and they said as it was the stores mistake it was down to the store to refund the charge. Do I go along to my not so local store and approach them about refunding the charge or should I send a letter to Head Office?

02/10/06 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent recorded delivery

07/10/06 - statements recieved

09/10/06 - Letter requesting refund sent recorded delivery

27/10/06 - LBA sent recorded delivery

You can try and get it back from Primark if you wish but personally I would claim it back from your bank as it is an unlawful charge regardless of whose mistake it is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

christmasrallycag_468x60.gif

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Guest Mumofthreeboys

It wasn't Primark that took the £30 as a penalty charge, it was the bank.

The bank is trying it on as usual and this unlawful charge needs to be reclaimed from your bank.

You could always complain to Primark too regarding the fact that they took the payment twice and advise them you got charged and it caused you difficulties. You never know, they may give you something as a goodwill gesture.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

christmasrallycag_468x60.gif

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 1 month later...

i'd complain to each individually and get £30 from both! basically primark committed theft although returned it later. they still took money from your account without your permission. i would threaten to take them to court and suggest you would claim compensation for distresss and costs.

i would also take the penalty charges apprach from your bank. and get the 30.00 plus interest plus court costs etc from them.

I'm not an expert on bank charges so I won't comment on that. However you would have a case against Primark, as the £30 charge was made as a consequence of their mistake. Therefore you can claim this from them as a consequential loss. You could only really claim the £30 though - not any extra claim for distress. Fortunately our court system isn't quite yet in the state the American one is in :)

Also if - hypothetically - it did go to court, you wouldn't be awarded £30 against both parties, only your actual losses.

Hopefully it wouldn't get that far though and you can settle it amicably!

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

Hello, just to let you know, it is down to your branch/bank to refund your bank charge, contact them and explain that going overdrawn was not any fault of yours, i worked for bank debit card disputes area so believe me i know, banks can be very cheeky sometimes.

Hope this helps.

Although you do have a cause of action against Primark as you already know bank penalty charges ARE unlawful then your claim IS against the bank. Any successful claim against Primark will depend on many different factors such as additional losses, if any.